daniboy71

'Normal' air suspension failure symptoms

Hi all

Just an update - the symptoms slowly got worse until the nearside became noisy with air escaping constantly & would settle on its haunches after a couple of hours. The cornering warning didn't appear until a few days later when I was actually on the way to drop off at the garage, though the ride quality was shocking even before then.

Final result, £650 for 2 new bags fitted & tested at my independent. All seems good so far...

Edited by daniboy71

I had the exact same problem on my 2012 F11. The pump constantly runs trying to fill the air bag when the car is running so, depending on the size of the hole it may maintain some height until the car is parked. Then, after maybe 30sec with the ignition off the pump gives up trying & cuts out. The 'hissing' of the leak continues until the car sits all the way down.

Just last night I replaced mine myself. I had no warning on my idrive etc so after some research between myself and a mate I decided to tackle it myself based on this thread ( I don't know if it is frowned upon  to post links to other forums - apologies if so ) 

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715914

It really was pretty straight forward. Maybe 40 mins or so. Turned on the ignition , on comes the pump, car lifts & pump cuts out when it has reached its preset height. Done.

IMG_20160425_222112.jpg

low res2.jpg

I'm more along the thinking that it's a valve on mine that lets by intermittently. The dealer told me yesterday there are no valves on the system...

..so a bit of research myself today turns this up...

Great confidence booster in the dealer.

Had my 2011 520d F11 fail at the weekend picture is with car jacked up and wheel removed, thankfully only purchased just under 3 months ago being done under warranty sometimes had error sometimes not, but very low and was bad to drive to garage, beware of potholes!!

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0419.JPG

IMG_0450.thumb.JPG.14817b0f883a5532f267e428dcb6dea7.JPGAll sorted by the garage, saw the receipt briefly think the total for parts and labour was £320, 

Was thinking that some sort of upward facing cone shielding the bottom of the bag fitted at the bottom of the airbag would be a very cheep preventative measure? 

Somthing like the attached pic sorry for the rubbish doodle 

Edited by Hedgyboy

On 19/03/2016 at 10:02 AM, sshooie said:

I have the exact same issue on my 530d, there is no pattern to it, sometimes it will drop in an hour sometimes it doesn't drop for 2-3 days, I put it down to an intermittent leaking valve and will get it sorted under warranty when I get it booked in.

On 20/03/2016 at 6:16 AM, snrbrtsn said:

The worrying thing here, it always effects the near side?

With reports from home and abroad (left or right hand drive) all relating to the same side.

There is currently an active recall in the states to replace "but not over here" 

The airbag is "very"easily replaced, circa £500 from dealer, £100 from Aerosus/Arnott with a new how to video on their site 

https://www.arnotteurope.com/p-4358-arnott-rear-air-spring-10-14-bmw-5-series-f07-f11-left-or-right.aspx

Hi mine f11 2011

ducks on drivers side only 

dealer quoted £600

anyone where in London can be done for less?

2 minutes ago, Ivan Darakev said:

Hi mine f11 2011

ducks on drivers side only 

dealer quoted £600

anyone where in London can be done for less?

Buy the part from the links provided - not the Genuine BMW one - and ask your favourite independent garage to fit it. Or do it yourself as it looks quite easy.

I had airbag problems with my X5 before the F07, and got various symptoms for a while before failure.

-The compressor runs as soon as the ignition is on, if air has been lost overnight.

- If a side is low it inflates to the correct level and will be ok (for a while), until left, say overnight

- Near to final failure, you can even hear the hiss of air escaping

- The level sensors do fail, as they suffer water ingress to the electronics

- The level sensors articulate about a small plain steel ball joint - this is exposed, rusts and the consequent sticky movement gives an erratic ride height, eventually delivering an error message

- Diagnostics allow the ride height to be set - to allow for different wheel and tyre diameters / post sensor replacement -if no other symptoms this may be all that is required.

- Arnott units are of massively better quality than the originals

Hi all,

My passenger side airbag failed a couple of weeks back - complete tear with constant hissing when the compressor was running.  

I bought a pair from Aerosus on next day delivery and had my local independent fit the two, which only cost £75 labour and the car is driving beautifully again now.  

However, I have noticed that the compressor will kick in every morning for 5-10 seconds at first start up and I can see the rear lifting slightly when looking in the rear view mirror.  It looks like both sides lift rather than one side.  How often should the compressor kick in?  It doesn't seem to do it during stop/starts during the day, only first thing after being sat overnight.  What is normal behaviour for the compressor?

Simon

29 minutes ago, mrsimes said:

Hi all,

My passenger side airbag failed a couple of weeks back - complete tear with constant hissing when the compressor was running.  

I bought a pair from Aerosus on next day delivery and had my local independent fit the two, which only cost £75 labour and the car is driving beautifully again now.  

However, I have noticed that the compressor will kick in every morning for 5-10 seconds at first start up and I can see the rear lifting slightly when looking in the rear view mirror.  It looks like both sides lift rather than one side.  How often should the compressor kick in?  It doesn't seem to do it during stop/starts during the day, only first thing after being sat overnight.  What is normal behaviour for the compressor?

Simon

That is normal behaviour. When I park the car and leave it then open the boot I can hear the compressor valve opening and the car sinks a little at the rear. In the morning starting the car the compressor switches on and gets the rear to the preset ride height and it stays there until it is left overnight. I'll dig the BMW blurb out that talks about this and link to it in the morning.

11 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

That is normal behaviour. When I park the car and leave it then open the boot I can hear the compressor valve opening and the car sinks a little at the rear. In the morning starting the car the compressor switches on and gets the rear to the preset ride height and it stays there until it is left overnight. I'll dig the BMW blurb out that talks about this and link to it in the morning.

Here is the document describing the airbag system. See the text at the end of page 8 where it talks about when the ride height is adjusted.

F11 Single Axle Air Suspension 1.pdf

Has anyone got an answer for this - I've had this exact problem for a year now - no split in the bag, working perfectly - have changed the solenoid valve block to a genuine Wabco version, but the problem still exists. 

I'm thinking it's something to do with the Electronic Height Controller misbehaving.  Now that I have the old solenoid off the car, I want to test it to prove 100% it isn't the solenoid. There are 3 pins labelled 1-2-3, does anyone know which one is GND, live, switch etc?

On 17/09/2017 at 10:11 PM, mrsimes said:

Hi all,

Simon

Simon who did you get to fit the two airbags ?

Definite failure, mine didn’t appear as bad as this and it was falling to the deck sometimes after 5 minutes sometimes 5 hours, 

bought a suspension unit from eBay for £49, and a garages fitted it for £50. So far so good :)

4CE6CC48-538F-4BC8-9673-223F67D34306.jpeg

37CE84D1-27AC-4C1A-A8B2-414A5CD408C8.jpeg

What sort of age & mileage is the F11 air bags failing the reason I’m asking since this fault had been reported, I have religiously been jacking the rear up to unroll the rubber and cleaning the exposed rubber and the white plastic strut, then spraying a rubber/plastic preserver on the treated part, what I have noticed during the cleaning which I have been doing twice yearly from new, is the white plastic/ nylon strut when exposed has a lot of imbedded material what looks like finely crushed sand particles, which is difficult to remove from the plastic/nylon strut, although the rubber air bag comes clean fairly easy, hopefully those F11 owners that have had air bag failure will leave comments regarding the age and mileage of vehicle when the failure occured and also n/s or off/s or both, thanks in advance.

Mine is a 2011 failed last year (2017) March on Pasanger side big split, and drivers side failed December light chaffing as can be seen in attached pictures

Mileage was 110,000 and 120,000 respectively 

72155710-251A-42FB-9C84-D21D91244900.jpeg

CB9C22BB-3B21-49E7-A656-66AD9912C293.jpeg

Ordered a pair of Aerosus today even though it is only the passenger side. 73K. I am not yet getting the warnings but the car is sinking quicker as time goes on so suspect haven't too long before warnings appear. £258 with delivery for the pair (with a £10 voucher and a 10% discount for getting a pair). The indie labour only quotes aren't particularly low though... £120 - £130, still £380 is better than £800- £1000 at a BM Stealer.

Edited by Sylvester