nashdm2

BMW 520d B47 Engine Fuel Consumption

On 8/5/2017 at 1:45 PM, RobM said:

I have a 63 plate 520d LCI, with 51k miles, which is used mostly on the motorway for a 40-mile commute each way. I consistently get 52-55mpg with my driving style, which isn’t too heavy footed, but I do like to make good progress. 

When I settle down and cruise along smoothly, I’ll easily get 58mpg. 

I had it remapped by DMS recently and that hasn’t changed it much. Daily MPG is the same, but cruising MPG is better. My max is 61.5mpg.

That said, since the remap, when you put your foot down and press on a bit, it really drinks! It’s so worth it though. 

Hi

im interested what the accelerations like now ? After the tune, could you do a little write up, I’m after doing the same as I’ve used them previously on other cars

cheers ears

On 07/02/2018 at 9:44 PM, Paulnorthwest said:

Hi

im interested what the accelerations like now ? After the tune, could you do a little write up, I’m after doing the same as I’ve used them previously on other cars

cheers ears

Its good. Not 530d good, but it’s very good and suits the car very well. 

Standing-start acceleration isn’t something I do a lot, so can’t really tell you what affect it has had on 0-60 or anything similar, but the difference is incredibly obvious. On the odd occasion I do partake in traffic light Grand Prix, it’s rare to be embarrassed. 

The big difference is in-gear acceleration. With a gentle touch, it’ll accelerate cleanly and quite quickly without changing gear. 

With a heavier touch, it doesn’t need to drop down as many gears to get going. If you have it in Sport mode, or you jab the throttle to make it kick down and then plant your foot, it really moves. A regular example is quickly raising speed to change motorway lanes - accelerating from, say, 60-80 takes no time at all. 

As standard it it felt breathless accelerating at motorway speeds. Now, it never does and pulls incredibly smoothly. It accelerates like it’s two gears lower than it is in reality. This was my biggest gripe and has been resolved totally. 

Sorry none of this is particularly scientific or specific. It’s just the ramblings of a happy customer. 

22 hours ago, RobM said:

Its good. Not 530d good, but it’s very good and suits the car very well. 

Standing-start acceleration isn’t something I do a lot, so can’t really tell you what affect it has had on 0-60 or anything similar, but the difference is incredibly obvious. On the odd occasion I do partake in traffic light Grand Prix, it’s rare to be embarrassed. 

The big difference is in-gear acceleration. With a gentle touch, it’ll accelerate cleanly and quite quickly without changing gear. 

With a heavier touch, it doesn’t need to drop down as many gears to get going. If you have it in Sport mode, or you jab the throttle to make it kick down and then plant your foot, it really moves. A regular example is quickly raising speed to change motorway lanes - accelerating from, say, 60-80 takes no time at all. 

As standard it it felt breathless accelerating at motorway speeds. Now, it never does and pulls incredibly smoothly. It accelerates like it’s two gears lower than it is in reality. This was my biggest gripe and has been resolved totally. 

Sorry none of this is particularly scientific or specific. It’s just the ramblings of a happy customer. 

Your a gent

thanks for that, that sounds just like what I’m looking for !

cheers rob, looks like a trip to DMS this month is on the cards then :-)

Edited by Paulnorthwest

Also to add to this topic around consumption I did a 50 mile each way journey today on the speedresricted 50 mph motorway and did eco plus all the way, 

60.4 mpg was the result however that was with the start stop activated which I never use as I consider it dangerous and it only activated 4 times on the journey at traffic lights at the beginning and end of the journey each way.  

So bmws firgures are realistic but not for everyday life, I probably won’t see this figure ever again, I just did it to see what the max I could get was.  The journey was not in any way enjoyable as a result. 

Had a decent run yesterday and ended up at 63.3.  This was in Comfort +, not Eco-Pro, so I wasn't going for any eco record.  Perhaps the B47 is getting run in now.

B47 Mileage.jpg

At my last service my egr valve was replaced as part of it, I have noticed smoother power but a drop in mpg, 39 down to 37.5

42k miles and my long term average is 43.4. With the mixed driving I do I can average about 47 over a full tank, but I have to be driving economically  and avoiding hills. My old e90 LCI N47 was driven a little harder and had a long term average of around 47 so I don't think 43.4 is bad for the F10, and although it's not as good as BMW claims led me to believe I'd get, it's more realistic.

8 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

My car is on about 12k miles now. About to take a long trip to cornwall so will report back the current MPG I am getting now it is supposedly run in. 

Enjoy Cornwall Dave.

4 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

Thanks Matthew, first time away for 6 months and also, don't laugh, first drive in the F11 for 5 months!!!

Were the tyres stuck to the ground??? 5 months, I'd have been having withdrawal.

Been away for a week in the F11. Overall consumption for the whole week was 44.6 mpg with 546 miles travelled. This included lots of driving about in the hills of Cornwall, so, not too bad I guess. I would assume the journeys down and back were at around 48-50 mpg. Still way short of where it should be though.

Edited by nashdm2

I filled her up and got 550km approx. (340 miles). Also, 520d Touring. That's pretty crap is it not?

I've just averaged over 50 mpg on the tank on a N57 530D did just shy of 600 miles and still had 1/4 of a tank left at fill up. So i would think that isn't great from a 2.0D.  On the drive in today (100 miles around M25 and up the M11) got 60 mpg and that was with the m25 carpark this morning. i find the warm air massive improves efficiency as it becomes less dense and the air resistance falls.

2 minutes ago, GEO147 said:

Do you guys work this out yourselves or use the idrive?

I use idrive which i believe counts injector open times to work out fuel rate. However I have compared this on my previous 1 series using fuely and it was pretty accurate (within a mpg over several tanks). BTW that 1 series (e81 3 door 120D) was epic in fuel economy averaged 58 mpg (over its last 20 something k) i whereas since I have owned my F10 530D it only averages 46.9 mpg (over 5000 miles).

Just to be taken as a reference. In my F11 2.0d 2013 the idrive gives values that are 4% optimistic compared with "true" rim-to-rim values.

Over more than 50,000 miles the 4% estimate has not changed.

Edited by DarkEnergy

Idrive says I'm averaging 38.9 or something. Was hoping for mid 40s. Is that mpg normal for b47 2.0?