ZiggyB1

E38 750il

Hi all,

I am looking at buying an E38 750il across the road from where I live.

What is the true value of these cars as they seem to range from £1000 (recent Ebay sale with LPG) up to £10000? There are a few currently advertised for around the 6 grand mark which again seems high to me especially as relatively tidy 728's are £1000 and up and I would have thought these had a higher relative value as the 750 scares most people off for obvious reasons.

This car has done 150000 miles, has no MOT (not been used since April last year) both drivers side windows don't work, aircon stays hot, bit of surface rust on the sill and paint is a bit dull.

Interior is mint and the car was owned initially by the head of Mirror group newspapers so has every conceivable extra available in 1997 along with BMW history (for whatever that is worth). it drives well and confirms why I want one.

The chap is after £3000 but didn't feel like insulting him with what i think it is worth.

Is he realistic or am I right in thinking it is worth less than half of this?

Thanks

Julian

With everything working and an MOT I'd have said he was about right. As it stands, probably 2k???

Not an E38 expert by any means, just my two pence worth. :)

There are not many e38 750's that are really worth in excess of £5k today, if they are advertised as or sell for this then they are either in superb condition with an incredible spec, or they are one of the few B12's around. the rest seem to sit between £1k and £4k, They'll be going lower as time marches on when you can now buy a later e65 750 from around £5k.

Do you know the spec etc? Personally I think £3k is too high, I'd say nearer £1.8/2k with it being out of mot and in need, bushes and linkages etc all start to need doing and a poor 750 will only go to make you even poorer? All subject to condition and history really.

I'd say £3k is way too high for a car needing work and that has been stood for a while. You can't really compare a 728 with a 750, they may look the same but mechanically and drivetrain wise they are very different animals. 728's can be DIY'd and ran quite economically (excluding fuel tank leaks), whereas a poorly maintained V12 750 will swallow 1000's in the blink of an eye...

Have a look on here for tips on faults and maintenance:  http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/

C.

Ive bought a couple of e38 750il's in the past, my current one was picked up for £450 with t&t, i'll admit it's a tatty example with 190k on, but £3000 for one without an Mot and possibly needing work seems rather a lot. They're great cars though, and not as scary or expensive to run as you might think, and there's not many cars that will keep up from 0-30 at the traffic light gp. 

I sold mine a couple of years ago for F***ING £1500. Engine and box were perfect and it had a Mk4 nav and 18" Style 32s. 

Prices decided to take the proverbial out of me and rise afterwards, so much so I think it went for double that when one of the latest owners flogged it on. Typical.

Still - I had it on here for a while, and on Pistonheads and only one person turned up to take a look. He bought it, but that was the only firm interest at the time. Real shame. Should have put it on eBay.

I think it was £1450 actually Piper! :wink: 

I ran N43 BRX for 9 months and 9,000 miles and it was a good car.  I had the wheels refurbished - twice, had some tyres put on, a service an MOT and some replacement of some suspension bushes.   Think I spent about £1000 in the time I had it.  I sold it for £1850 and the next chap sold it for £2850!  Prices have certainly firmed up since then.  

I am in a E65 750i Sport now.