Collective-friction

New bloke with E12 M535i

126 posts in this topic

Dunno mate. I can see the lock nut in that bag too. Could only get one from BMW. Maybe they have started making them again.

Could be mate. When you fitted yours, presumably you didn't replace the seals either end since the new bearings come sealed already? Did you get away with the original shim too? 

I tried buying them ( the seals) but couldn't since they weren't listed against the car which I can only assume is as a result of the superseded part. 

I don't know mate. I couldn't crack the nut so ended up dropping it at the friends garage. I was actually changing the backing plates as the time. When they stripped it we found it need bearings which I then tried to order from BMW. We sourced them from Europe in the end as said but I never got to see them and he just fitted it when they came in. Sorry I'm not much use here. I'll ask if he rememebers

Just called him and asked. He can't remember but he said they were definitely sealed like yours are.

Thanks for that mate, appreciated. I guess if you didn't have to order a new shim then the original one went back and as the seals aren't avaliable and once only then I guess they didn't go in either. Makes sense since the new ones are sealed. 

So the back plates came back back from the powdercoaters in satin and look loads better but they have had a reaction on the rear beam so that's gone in the dip tank again. 

A small update albeit not much to shout about. Whilst the poking and prodding continues on the floor I wanted to take a break and play with something clean for a change.

The old dampers were looking manky as expected so I didn't really give much thought to them actually still being serviceable. However on inspection other than looking tired they still have plenty of damping with no obvious signs of leaks or corrosion. No matter though since I'd already got carried away and bought new stuff so will box the original stuff up and hoard it as I tend to do.

IMG_0856_zpsgogbq6q0.jpg

Loosely assembled and ready to go when they finally get refitted.

In other news I found a hole. A little bit gutted but I guess it was bound to happen. I noticed that the original underseal around the jacking point on the drivers side front had a tiny split, sure enough after attacking it with my trusty knowwheel there is some surface corrosion and a screwdriver sized hole (now!) right where the jacking point bracket is welded to the lower sill. This will be attended to at a trusted bodyshop guy I've used before down here in Cornwall who is more used to dealing with very rotten aircooled vedubs.  The insert will end being about the size of a fag packet to clear all the corrosion so not too intrusive. 

In my naivety and in an attempt to help the bodyshop as much as possible I ordered a sill panel from BMW so he can cut out the small section easily and put it in complete with jacking plate attached. As it turns out I ordered the pull over type panel, it turned up at the dealer today and is , well, gash. No jacking plate, no drain holes and looks like something I bashed out as a hungover apprentice many moons ago. The dealer agreed so it's gone back and I've ordered the right thing this time which unsurprisingly is more expensive! Live and learn :) 

I notice you've fitted H&R springs to your new dampers. I bought some of these and they made the car sit too high and it looks like you might have the same problem. I'll try and find the thread with the pictures

Found it. Shows pictures after fitment.

Edited by Joss

I did see your pictures and agree it looked a little too high at the back. Did you use standard dampers? The rears that I got from W&N have two perch settings which are currently set at the lowest position. My original dampers appear to only have one position. 

This is Olly's/Ben's/LL's car running the H&R's set to the lowest perch on the rear and it seems to sit lower than yours did so presumably mine will sit the same, I would be happy if it sits like this. If not then I will think again but since it's the same set up I'm hopeful....will have to wait and see I guess! 

IMG_0858_zpsb9ivstli.jpg

IMG_0859_zpsae8ooydr.jpg

16"'s on the lower pic of course but it seems to sit right. 

Yeah they were the original damper although I don't remember if they had a second perch setting. I've still got them in the garage somewhere so I could have a look.

Thanks mate. Whilst the prep of the floor continues i thought I would break the monotony and try out my new pipe bender and shape the two small brake pipes for the rear. When I ordered the new ones from the dealer I was hoping they would have come shaped like the fuel pipes but not the case, had I known that I would have just made them up from scratch. Still they are really nice quality so a couple of bends later they are ready to fit. 

IMG_0860_zpsdoyo8xix.jpg

Work on the floor continues at a slow pace. In the meantime I asked a bike building mate if he fancied knocking up some bypass pipes for the centre exhaust box to release a bit of voice. He said no problem and made a section that can be bolted straight in. If it's too loud, since I didn't cut up the car's original front and centre section, I can just bolt it all back in and return it to normal. His welds are in a different league to anything I could have achieved so pretty chuffed with how it came out. 

2aPMQX1.jpg

As for the floor, it's still a slow going process as I can only really spare a couple of hours here and there. When I look at the pictures it doesn't really seem like I've achieved very much but it feels like I've laid under the car for days! Essentially all I've done is clean back any bit of surface corrosion however small and treat with hydrate 80. I've gone through two large knotwheels and more dremel attachments for the intricate bits that I can remember. 

A few few more tiny bits to go and I can start to put some paint on.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures but hopefully you get the idea. The fuel tank is out revealing no horrors apart from some surface rust in the bracket. The tank itself looks new and was fitted by a previous owner. 

tBs4rQh.jpg

Hi M5

Ive given the diff mount some thought and knew about the potential issue. A good friend of mine who was working in the dealerships when these were new and has up until very recently run an Indy has a great deal of experience with these ( including campaigning an E12 rally car and running his own E12 M535i for the best part of 30 years) is of the opinion that only really abused cars suffer from this. Including his own car as it happens but he is the first to admit it has been driven very hard for many years!) This view was shared by Tony C when I asked his opinion of the issue before I bought this car. With all that in mind I made the decision that if when I pulled the car apart there was any sign, however minute, of an issue I would have it reinforced. On inspection, including scoping the channel there was nothing to be seen. This coupled with the knowledge that the car won't be beaten to death and see light use I'm going to leave it alone. 

I may may live to regret that but my reasoning seems sound at this point :) 

In other news I'm still waiting for my rear beam to come back from the powdercoaters, there has been an issue with the powder reacting in a particular spot so it's having to be redone again. The trailing arms and rear roll bar are ready to be blasted but will wait to see how the beam looks before I commit to the same place for the these. 

Im about to book up for Deutsche Fest at Brands Hatch, it would have been great to have taken the E12 but I'm miles off that point sadly. Anyone going ? 

Your reasoning is sound as it is often when cars are neglected or owned by people with no mechanical sympathy. The sub frame issue even occurred with the E46. The E28 bush would break but the mounting would not. If the bush in the E12 goes it will quickly take the mounting as there is so little support. The differential  panel is available for the remarkable price of €65 from BMW. I have just got one from BMW Classic.

Would your friend be Geoff Weeks  who had ETA originally?

Yeah it does seem to be a bit of a BMW thing, sadly I'm all too aware of the E46 issue and sometimes wince when my CSL slams home the next gear! Gentle it is not. 

I think the work work on the E12 might have been timely since the diff mount that came out was well and truly knackered so with a new one and a degree of mechanical sympathy should see it through. 

As for my old pal, it's not Geoff Weeks but a colourful character called Chris Mavrommatis, a Greek Cypriot down here in Cornwall who knows the old cars inside out.