Collective-friction

New bloke with E12 M535i

10 hours ago, Collective-friction said:

Quick question....has anyone changed the trailing arm bushes and know exactly which one goes where and in what orientation ? I can't really tell from the old ones which goes where, the offset is small even on the new ones. I bought them from the dealer and have one straight and one eccentric per beam. Presumably the offset bush is to add a bit of toe in ? I don't want to be doing this twice !

I don't know, not done them but I would recommend that you contact Tonybmw on this site. Excellent work BTW.

Thanks gents, i shall make some more enquiries but I am leaning towards just fitting straight ones throughout as per what I found since the car felt ok (usual wear aside) and had no abnormal tire wear. I think the eccentric ones are offered to correct abnormal toe as opposed to any performance upgrade so to speak. Interestingly (or not!) they are the same bushes as fitted to the E30 M3 and in those circles they tend to not get fitted, some stating that they can rotate which throws any change out anyway and that the car doesn't need them. My own M3 doesn't have them. I have also asked  Munich Legends who have been very helpful before for their thoughts so will report back.

In other news I see that W&N do 'Motorsport' solid rubber rear beam bushes. They are cheaper than from the dealer and look OEM but can't find them on Real OEM anywhere. I can't imagine anyone would go to the trouble of making them for such a small market hence the OEM assumption.

Ive ordered them up anyway but has anyone any experience with these bushes?

So as new parts go I think I have almost everything I need:

Almost all nuts, bolts, washers etc

Handbrake cables

Brake backplates

Rear beam push rods

All bushes

Exhaust brackets, rubbers and nuts and bolts.

Driveshaft, propshaft fittings

Diff mount

Fuel filter

Fuel pump bracket and bobbins

All fuel lines and clamps, plastic guides, covers and securing screws

I still need to get rear wheel bearings as I'll renew these when the trailing arms get blasted and powder coated but they can wait this month as Ive already spent far too much time at the dealer!

Another thing I can't seem to get are the plastic clips that hold the rigid brake lines to the trailing arm, they are NLA which is surprising since they are shared across several models, anyone have any or a source?

Quick shot on the garage floor of the next batch of stuff to turn up. I was a bit dissapointed to find that the backplates come in what looks like panel paint and will probably last five minutes so I will get those powder coated too.  The same for the rearmost exhaust bracket.

IMG_2968.JPG

More stuff turned up today including the 'motorsport' solid rear beam bushes. They certainly look fine and are obviously more solid that the 37 year old vented type that came off the car. The rubber is very firm though and similar to that of the solid offset bushes fitted to E30 M3 lollipops. Perhaps I should have done this before buying them but I've fired off a quick email to W&N checking that they are suitable for road use. I'm keen to avoid increasing any harsness greatly, I don't think these will but memories of my old E30 325i Sport on poly bushes has me cautious! 

IMG_0762.JPG

IMG_0764.JPG

IMG_0763.JPG

I dropped the rear beam at the powdercoaters today along with the back plates and exhaust hangar. I asked for satin black which I thought was the OEM finish however the new rear beam pushrods that came from the dealer are quite glossy, certainly not what you might term satin. We compared them to a bike frame that he had just done at 85% gloss and they are pretty much bang on. So with that in mind and the fact that life is frankly far too short to be debating the percentages of gloss powdercoat we eventually settled on that. 

IMG_0761.JPG

I also found out what the score is with the rear trailing arm bushes. The ever helpful guys at Munich Legends got back to me and recommended that I fit the straight ones throughout as was found on the car and that the eccentric ones are reserved for a car with an alignment issue or some extreme track orientated suspension setup, neither of which this car has. 

This makes things easier so I can now get on with stripping the rear arms for the powdercoaters. 

Anyone chnaged the rear bearings and are there any pitfalls to look out for? 

I have up rated powerflex ones in mine. (Same as E30 btw) Let me find out which way round I had mine fitted. Mine are adjustable so you could buy a set of those and then get it set up spot on. :)  

Thanks mate but for now I'm going to go with the straight rubber bushings. One thing I loved about the car was how it was so compliant over the pretty rubbish roads around where I live so am keen to keep that.  I can't remember what flavour poly bushes my old sport had but the squeaking and crashing about got old very quickly! 

I may have had black assuming they are the hardest.

i heard back from W&N today who assure me that the solid rear beam mounts are designed for road use so will stick with them.

I made a start on cleaning up the diff today so that at least everything that goes back on looks better than when it came off.

I threw it in a drip tray and decreased it which revealed a bit of surface corrosion but nothing serious.

Next up was a going over with a wire brush and knot wheel for the stubborn bits. I gave the oil collector the same treatment. Then several coats of red oxide followed by 5 coats of satin black. I think it came out ok and certainly looks better than it did. 

IMG_0770.JPG

I've cleaned up all the diff mounting bolts and various other bits and bobs, I plan to send these away for some yellow passivate which should finish things off nicely. 

I did see a home kit on eBay which I quite fancy trying, anyone got any experience ? 

With regard to the plating of the diff mounting bolts if you buy new ones from BMW they will not be yellow passivated, they never were. The bolts are a high tensile steel either a 10.9 or 12.9 grade which is marked on the head of the bolt. The normal 8.8 grade bolts are passivated.

All the high tensile bolts were in a black finish. If you google "hydrogen embrittlement" the plating process can cause this which can cause failure in high tensile steel possibly why new bolts were never plated.

I bought one of those plating kits two years ago but have not plated anything yet so I cannot say how good it is but It is easier to get what you need plated professionally.

Good shout M5, I was aware of the phenomena whilst casting my mind back to my apprentice days spent airframe tin bashing many moons ago. The bolts were very manky when they came out so I didn't take much notice when I cleaned them up but I will have a look tomorrow and see what spec they are. I suspect you're quite correct though in which case I won't plate them. 

In other news I put another order in  with W&N ( their site is far too easy to use!) for some brake pads clips, CV joint bellows and rear Billies (!) ... they were on offer...I think :huh: