Sign in to follow this  
pauliexjr

Tell me about E60/61 vs E39

I'm now seriously on the hunt for a decent 5 Series. I love E39's but appreciate they are getting long in the tooth and solid, sub-100k milers are very scarce. I need a decent mile muncher (25-30k per year) not too bothered about MPG, but it is a consideration to keep my employers on side.

I want leather interior and A/C, auto, cruise and preferably sat-nav and bluetooth.

I will shortly have around 6-7k to spend and am thinking 530d Sport (OK, I'm weird, I like diesels) so, do the E60/61 engines suffer the same issues as E39s i.e EGR valves, DPF , swirl flaps etc? What do I need to look for/be aware of before parting with my hard earned? Has anything seriously changed between the E39 and E60 (apart from the shape) are the underpinnings and engines/boxes still the same?

So, thoughts/comments/suggestions greatly appreciated.

E60 530d sport nice low mile facelift. They are a nice place to be. 40mpg

Or e39 530 sport petrol 28mpg

Or 320d e90 50mpg (more chuck able).

All have faults as we know I had both and the 320 felt nearly the same size as the 530 petrol

Personally, I've had both and the only thing I think the e60 has going for it is that it seems a lot less susceptible to rust.

I've had pre and lci models, the LCI model is superior in interior finish compared with the earlier model e60 but both feel cheap in comparison to the solid e39

E60 diesels do suffer the same issues you mentioned as the e39's. E39 don't have a dpf unless I am mistaken

Edited by e60530i

I have an e39 530i and an e61 550i.

The e39 is definitely the better made car, more soundproofing, feels 'sportier', better steering, less electronics to go wrong, projector headlights as standard etc.

The e61 is a nice car and the engine is great and estate suits my needs fantastically etc but the e39 was definitely a car designed by engineers and the e60 by accountants.

With the mileage you are considering I

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry, missfire!

With the millage you are considering the car will be pretty much worthless after a few years.

I would seriously consider looking for the lowest mileage, best specced e39 you can find. Stick a DAB/Bluetooth stereo in it and run it for as long as possible.

Although both my cars are manual, if you are looking for an auto then maybe the e60 auto is leaps and bounds better than the e39 auto?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Plastic gearbox sumps are a problem I believe on e60/61 autos. But gearboxes themselves are pretty robust. Get an early e60/61 and you won't have a dpf to worry about, so something to consider. 525d's dont have swirl flaps I believe? All other pre lci diesels do. Post lci 177bhp 2.0d has the timing chain issue. Earlier 163 one doesn't but had slightly higher road tax and isn't as economical as 177 engine.

Edited by GStarrr

Thanks folks, I need to reconsider the possibility of a later model, low mileage E39 then. As Mr Murphster says, 3-4 years of 25k plus per annum will kick the arse out of any residual value, but it will be a far more comfortable and less stressful place to be than the Insipida I'm currently rolling!