Goatherder

Hidden Top Tricks & Tips in 5 Series

46 posts in this topic

Anyone discovered something they want to share with us such as, it you hold your finger on the remote fob lock button, the interior lights come on. Handy when it's dark.....

If I press the auto tailgate button briefly, dipped beam and sides come on.

If I press the lock button (when locked) the interior lights illuminate.

Edited by sshooie

If you press the lock button twice within 2 seconds, this locks the car and disables the alarm. Something I only found out after discovering mine was the alarm repeatedly going off on a cross channel ferry last summer.

I must admit @jannism, I had a look at the link and got bored reading nothing but arguments

Anyone worked out a way to get the wing mirror on the drivers side to tilt down when reversing? I've tried everything including the changing L/ R mirror switch It's so handy when parking kerbside on the passenger side, I can't for the life of me think why the drivers side can't be tilted. Maybe BMW are assuming we open the door to watch the kerb?

simont likes this

Driver's side won't till afaik, again a missed trick I had on a previous car, you chose the mirror to tilt by the l/r choice for adjustment.

Purchase a right hand wing mirror from Germay, that will tilt, you just need to wire them up together so they both tilt when reversing...

Thinking out side the box

sshooie likes this

Goatherder: Maybe BMW are assuming we open the door to watch the kerb?

That isn't an option either, certainly not on the auto, put the car in R, open the door, the car goes into P and prevents you from moving. :(

Purchase a right hand wing mirror from Germay, that will tilt, you just need to wire them up together so they both tilt when reversing...

Thinking out side the box

I would guess there would be no difference (maybe optics) ?

Goatherder: That isn't an option either, certainly not on the auto, put the car in R, open the door, the car goes into P and prevents you from moving. :(

Works if you have your seatbelt on - at least it did for me this morning

This is presumably BMWs idea of safety, only reverse with the door open if you're wearing your seat belt lol.

Unfortunately, putting the belt on mostly negates the advantage of opening the door. I often reverse the car 3' half way through pressure washing the wheels so that I can clean them properly, opening the door makes it easier to either see the wheel position, or more accurately move the correct amount, having to put the seat belt on is a pita :(

I find it annoying that you have to change driver and passenger temperature individually. Is there a way of syncing them so when you change the driver side, the passenger changes with it? My old VW managed it, gobsmacked BMW doesn't (unless I'm missing something?)