zimzimma

E39 530i Sludge in Oil Filler Cap

14 posts in this topic

Took out the covers & filler cap today to change spark plugs... Found thick yellow sludge on the filler cap. Running fuchs titan race pro s 5w30. As I cleaned the sludge with a cloth itbecame all watery..

Help!

16da7d04dd0be6d68233c839efbcb397.jpg92b7621f5b95c2eb64ae1dd2beff78d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually an indication that the head gasket is leaking coolant in to the oil side... But first: What type of journeys do you do on it? Is the car getting up to temp properly (thermostat ok)?

Thermostat was stuck on open for a few months and I do about 3-4 miles a day (so short trips). Checked dipstick, oil is up to level with a tiny amount of froth on the tip, rest is the correct colour...

Take it on a long run 3-4 miles isn't long enough and you just get a moisture build up on the cap, mine does it every now and then, especially in the cold weather.

Clean cap off, go on a decent run, then see what it is like, if it is still there you've probably got headgasket issues

Yes worst case, BUT my car always has had this for the past 6 years and my e36 for 6 years before that. It is merely condensation, is more prevalent in winter and will burn off on a long hot run.

Much more likely to be no issue at all.

Yup... Short runs and no heat through the engine will do this...

I'd say it's not a lot to be worried about... Just try at least to give the car a good blast once a week!

pidgeonpost likes this

Hi, I had this, to a lesser extant at 80k, during my first winter with the car in 2014.  The previous owner was running Shell Helix from what I could tell.  It had 5 services lights to go which may or may not have been really true.  Once I changed the oil it was fine.  I went with the recommended Castrol.

Hope its nothing serious.

Ps. I was doing short runs at the time which may have contributed.  I do short runs now with Castrol and all seems well.

Edited by rgourlay

Hi, I had this, to a lesser extant at 80k, during my first winter with the car in 2014.  The previous owner was running Shell Helix from what I could tell.  It had 5 services lights to go which may or may not have been really true.  Once I changed the oil it was fine.  I went with the recommended Castrol.

Hope its nothing serious.

Ps. I was doing short runs at the time which may have contributed.  I do short runs now with Castrol and all seems well.

Same, I use Castrol and I've never seen milky oil like that on my oil cap or dip stick. But I do understand how it happens. Maybe it's the chemical make up of the oil or something, i dont know lol 

Had this problem and was due to previous owner doing short journeys.

No problem since the car has been on mixed driving cycles and not just short journeys.

Gave the cap a whipe and drove the car for about 40 miles to make sure it burned off any more traces of condensation; checked cap today - bone dry. Thanks for all your comments and advice guys, saved me a lot of worrying :)