Never been flashed ..

the light out put is really good....I had a cheaper kit in which was poor. I have just bought these and have compared this ballast to the other one and it is much brighter.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331615390324?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=540763304610&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT   are the ones you want same as these but the seller is charging more for f10.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271942351335?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=570778079463&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I went with 5000k

+1 for pics please

I heard that hid kits can damage the flimsy I mean sensitive electronics on the f10 is that myth or true, anyone know ?

Surprised the halogens passed safety checks to be allowed on UK roads, assuming cat makers have to get such approvals

So did you go with the E90 ones in the first link and fit them to your F10? Same units? 

I notice he's looking an extra £20 for the F10 ones, at £80 it's still cheap however £60 is better. 

So did you go with the E90 ones in the first link and fit them to your F10? Same units?

I went for the e90...they are exactly the same as the F10 f11

I will try get some photos tonight....but I can tell you it is night and day compared to the halogen.

I notice he's looking an extra £20 for the F10 ones, at £80 it's still cheap however £60 is better.

Where did you mount the ballasts?

I will get some photos up..you need to drill into headlight to get the cables out..20mm holesaw required. Mount ballasts anywhere you want really as long as they cant overheat.

Thanks for the further info. 

See for the MOT, doesn't HID have to have headlight washers? My car has the wee plates but I don't think the washers are below them... I have never noticed them washing the headlights together with the windscreen in the year I've owned the car unless they have failed in some way...

Thanks for the further info.

See for the MOT, doesn't HID have to have headlight washers? My car has the wee plates but I don't think the washers are below them... I have never noticed them washing the headlights together with the windscreen in the year I've owned the car unless they have failed in some way...

My understanding is that if they are fitted to the vehicle they have to work an example would be the third middle break light.

Found this though:

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.

Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.

I have a f11 so suspension is self levelling.

The level sensors on my e90 just seized up and never worked..never failed an mot in six years.

It's possible they will fail an mot..it's an easy job to put the h7 halogen back in for mot.

There are no washers with halogen..my f20 +e90 had them and choclate fire guard springs to mind..better with a cloth and rain x.

I intend to fit xenon setup eventually..

My interpretation is that when you get a car with hid it will come with headlight washers. As such because they are fitted to the car they need to work. Mine doesn't have washers therefor come MOT day there shouldn't be a requirement to test as they are not fitted.

I'm fine being the Guinea pig as mine is due soon and need shut of these candles. I was trying down the LED route but trying to get them to lock correctly is a nightmare with those twist locks on the H7

Projectors. How would an MOT tester know it's a HID lamp and not halogen behind the projector ? Get a light meter out ?

Lol, if your HID looks no better than a halogen, then there was no point fitting it.

Seriously, it's very easy to tell with a naked eye - brightness, colour temp. I can always tell and I'm no MOT tester.

Lol, if your HID looks no better than a halogen, then there was no point fitting it.

Seriously, it's very easy to tell with a naked eye - brightness, colour temp. I can always tell and I'm no MOT tester.

I know. You or I might be able to tell. The MOT tester might suspect it too. BUT they have to give benefit of doubt to the motorist. So unless it's visible behind the light without removing panels etc I can't see how they would know for sure. Could be uprated halogen bulbs lol.

I know. You or I might be able to tell. The MOT tester might suspect it too. BUT they have to give benefit of doubt to the motorist. So unless it's visible behind the light without removing panels etc I can't see how they would know for sure. Could be uprated halogen bulbs lol.

I see what you mean now.

If it helps, I did a HID conversion on an old X5 I had years ago - they were in projectors, but had no headlight washers. Passed MOT fine.

In fact, come to think of it, the cars that I have had with xenons factory fit and with headlight washer systems - I've watched them at MOT time and i've not seen anyone test the headlight wash system... maybe the garage I go to isn't that thorough but I'd guess they won't be the only ones who don't bother.

I think so long as the alignment is okay they should pass no bother.

I did get an advisory on my CSL once for one headlight washer not working correctly to my surprise dealer fixed it at 9 year old under warranty. 

I tried the LED route and they were pish, no throw on them at all and when I installed the resistors to clear the dashboard errors, the smell from the resistors come into the cabin and made it stink. So much so my Mrs asked when the 'reek' was in the car. Removed them fairly quickly and still have them lying in the garage. 

I'll take the chance with these though, good shout. 

So guys, made an attempt to fit the kit purchased http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERIES-E90-E91-E92-XENON-HID-KIT-35W-H7-BULBS-NO-ERRORS-100-COMPATIBLE-/331615390324?fits=Plat_Gen%3AE90&var=&hash=item4d35d14a74:m:mnc7Y46EmWMKxLwH5BFzgjw and failed at the first hurdle.

@jkas1984 It all seems really straight forward with the connectors in the kit between ballast etc, found a good earth on the body and connected the red wire to the yellow (guessing live) and the black to the brown (earth) but upon testing got the 'Dipped beam failure' alarm in the car and no lamp functioning. I didn't insert the lamp into the unit as I was testing but I can't see that causing an error. Any guidance appreciated. I didn't attempt the other side as wanted to check I was doing it correct first. 

Cheers, 

2 hours ago, Sailorbaz said:

So guys, made an attempt to fit the kit purchased http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-SERIES-E90-E91-E92-XENON-HID-KIT-35W-H7-BULBS-NO-ERRORS-100-COMPATIBLE-/331615390324?fits=Plat_Gen%3AE90&var=&hash=item4d35d14a74:m:mnc7Y46EmWMKxLwH5BFzgjw and failed at the first hurdle.

@jkas1984 It all seems really straight forward with the connectors in the kit between ballast etc, found a good earth on the body and connected the red wire to the yellow (guessing live) and the black to the brown (earth) but upon testing got the 'Dipped beam failure' alarm in the car and no lamp functioning. I didn't insert the lamp into the unit as I was testing but I can't see that causing an error. Any guidance appreciated. I didn't attempt the other side as wanted to check I was doing it correct first. 

Cheers, 

Try it with the hid lamp connected.