DirtyHarry88

Roofer elusive after work

25 posts in this topic

I'll assume I'm not the only person who's had bother getting back in touch with a tradesman post-work.

Long story shortish- leaky roof required repair but it still gets wet in the loft in the same spots. 

How best to go about this? When he was originally meant to come back his gran had 'had a heart attack', the following week he then agreed on and she 'died'.

Now I don't want to be a cock here so I try to give the benefit of the doubt, I want to believe his reasons. He agreed to come last week and said he would text me. No show (of course), no phone call, no text. I texted him on the Friday to see if he's still coming and again on Saturday to ask why he hadn't arrived and then get a reply of 'Being. At hospitals all week' [sic]

I phoned his house tonight and his wife (I presume) says she hasn't seen him all day and will get him to phone me back later. This obviously hasn't happened either.

My instinct says he forgot he told me his gran had 'died' so is trying to pass off being in hospital all week as being with her. Either that or he actually had to go to hospital for an entire week and his wife just happened to not mention it on the phone. 

Not sure what my options are to actually get him back and sort what he promised to sort.

Can't really help you, but fucktard tradesmen like that should be shot on sight. Sounds like a bunch of bullshit. 

Tradesman lies bout family etc - Usual BS stories like that mean they're best avoided.

I'll throw out a bone and say that he was the cheapest of all the quotes you got?

Got a text from him this morning saying he'll be round Monday. 

I'm off work that day so I'll believe it when I see it.

Failing that, apart from leaving shitty reviews everywhere his company name exists and speaking to trading standards, is there much else to be done?

Would it be fair to conclude that he didn't fix the problem last time and isn't reliable? If so, perhaps you need to get someone else

That's the conclusion I reached with the guy who removed the moss from my roof back in the summer- through power washing  :roll: . The very reason the wet patches now appear in the loft, despite 3 attempts by him to fix this. I should have been more direct with him afterwards but lost all faith in his ability. To be fair, I had thought the worst of it had been sorted until I thought I'd have a quick check after all the heavy rain a few weeks ago.

Hence getting someone different that actually sounded like they knew what they were doing.

I can well understand that if you've paid the bloke to do a job and he hasn't then you want him back. On the other hand he's failed to fix it, seems to have lied, and seems to be a bit elusive.

Maybe one last chance then find someone else. Maybe a threat of Small Claims Court?

I once used a plasterer who failed to turn up - said his wife had been rushed into hospital for hysterectomy. When I grumbled to my mate, a builder who had used him as a subbie, it turned out that the dear lady was now on her third womb removal.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

It doesn't really matter what excuses you are given. You are clearly not satisfied with the work done or the reasons why the guy hasn't been back to fix the problem. But if he does turn up, do you expect him to rectify the problem for free because he already had a shot at it? If so, I think you may be disappointed. By all means, sue him. But do so at your leisure and not while you roof is leaking.

I am not about to suggest you climb on your roof to find out what the problem is because I don't like heights. But short of climbing a ladder you might be able to establish if there are any tiles missing, the ridge tiles need pointing or the 'felt' underneath the tiles is shot. Maybe start from there and appoint someone to fix what you can see is wrong?    

If he does turn up I don't expect him to try and charge extra.

If he does go with that angle then I'll be telling him where to go.

He had replaced 3 tiles the last time and 3 needed moving. He showed me a broken one where the previous roofer had tried to silicone it.

If it all turns to shit, can trading standards inconvenience him in any way?

Edited by DirtyHarry88

If it all turns to shit, can trading standards inconvenience him in any way?

Nope.

Carl-e34 likes this

^ Ha! I knew it wasn't, I was just making clear to others

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Good lad, bar of finger washing soap in post..( taking piss smiley)

What is this mad fetish with having your roof jetwashed? I can't think of a better way of fooking up your roof tiles...

If I'd known that's what he was going to do I'd have stopped him. All I wanted was all the moss taken off.

So I can't do anything other than leave bad reviews?

Correct, he's not a Roofer, he's a cunt. So whatever you do, won't make no odds.

Tom don't mince your words. You can allways find out where he lives and pay him a visit to provide some personal feed back...

There's some prize ones out there.

Shock horror after asking yesterday when he'd be coming and him saying he'd phone me this morning, no phone call and no show.

I wonder if I should just send him a box of fish heads in the post.

Citizens advice have told me to write a letter to him and they've passed his name onto Trading Standards. In the meantime I'll try phoning his house tonight and see what shite he comes away with.