bmwdriver86

Oldest original part replacement.

24 posts in this topic

Have just replaced the thermostat on my 530i sport as it was taking an age to get up to temperature.

Replaced with a Wahler and all went to plan.

Looking at the part taken off and it looks to be the original thermostat manufactured by Behr with a date of 08/2000 of manufacture and has covered 140k miles.

Anyone else replaced original parts of a similar age?

John

Hi John

Thats impresive. Not quite in the same league but was very proud to have to replace Battery, Fuel filter all from new May 2002 when car was built, replaced at 149k in summer 2015.

Martin

Carl-e34 likes this

Actually, thinking about it, I just did my thermostat and water pump too. Thermostat was dated the same.

It just shows that fitting OEM or OEM equilivent and not the cheapest out there is worth it.

Out of curiosity which make thermostat did you fit?

John

I replaced the original stat and water pump in the summer. Mine admittedly is an '02 but its still seen 13 years and 115k

The fuel filter on my 535i had been on the car since new, so 15 years old and had covered over 170k, the thermostat was also original when I changed that as were the camshaft position sensors when I had power loss issues.

Have just replaced the thermostat on my 530i sport as it was taking an age to get up to temperature.

Replaced with a Wahler and all went to plan.

Looking at the part taken off and it looks to be the original thermostat manufactured by Behr with a date of 08/2000 of manufacture and has covered 140k miles.

Anyone else replaced original parts of a similar age?

John

I changed mine last year.....a date of 1999 with around 228k miles on the clock.

I had the transmission fluid and filter changed on my 528i shortly after I bought it seven years ago, the automatic transmission filter had Aug 1996 stamped on it.

Same!

The thermostat I've just replaced was the original, along with the rad and replaced with Behr and Wahler parts from c3bmw via eBay :)

Oem is always worth it despite what the costs are, if the original are lasting that long- its a no brainier

Absolutely, the exhaust on my e39, on when I bought the car 7 years ago with 92,000 on the clock, still going strong at over 40,000 miles later.

I think it's made by Boysen, will certainly go oe for an exhaust when the time comes.

Edited by vanhool

Absolutely, the exhaust on my e39, on when I bought the car 7 years ago with 92,000 on the clock, still going strong at over 40,000 miles later.

I think it's made by Boysen, will certainly go oe for an exhaust when the time comes.

All my exhaust, from the flexys backover to tail pipe has done 217k

My car is april 2001 build although only 70,000 ish miles now, but in the last year I'll have replaced the entire front and rear suspension, whole cooling system, ABS module, belts and tensioners and CCV. All the original parts. So not a bad innings for most of that with the exception of the ABS module which doesn't seem to go that commonly.

I'm also still on original exhaust and have to say I'm kinda amazed by that. All other cars I've had they've been like consumables, but the stuff on the bimmer seems made to last.

Carl-e34 likes this

Same here, original exhaust 237k miles later. Only exhaust component I replaced was the joiner from the mid section to the back box.

252K and on original engine, turbo and transmission.  Complete Front suspension replaced, thermostat, alternator, ac compressor, battery (dated 2000), cooling system hoses and inline fuel pump all replaced over last two years and were are OE

Just sold Dads 1990 E30 325i SE 5 speed, but only 143K miles.

We don't have salty roads to contend with, but:

Still has the original exhaust, driveshafts/boots, tierods, engine never opened, only ever broken down once, when the fuel pump died.... while parked IN the mechanics driveway for a WOF (MOT) :cool:. Only had 2 battery replacements too! Best car he's had by MILES, that's why he kep it so long - nearly half my life  :shock: 

Our E39 has a BMW battery, that's now 13 years old! I keep thinking I MUST replace it, before it leaves my Mrs stranded, but I REALLY want to see how long it lasts! Car is manual, so she can always bump start it :D

E39s EAT suspension. We had a 95 Impreza with 200K miles on it, and it's suspensioon was still original, bar 2 front balljoints by the previous owner! Even the shocks were originals! (they even worked OK, after the first two bumps pumped them hard again  :lol: )

The difference, is the E39 will soak up bumps, noise and vibrations, that would rattle your teeth in lesser cars (like the impreza - even when new!). Something has to give, and it's all those bushes and joints etc.

My stat in my 02 530d was changed from its original one last year at about 168k. Now at 175k and starting to change a few original ball joints and bushes, still on original shocks!

Edited by karlos28

Whilst mine is 17 years old this year (never before have I owned such an old car, which I use frequently) the mileage isn't huge at 110,000.

But I was still impressed that I only replaced the original battery just short of 11 years and still remain impressed that the original exhaust is still in excellent condition.

Suspension is all original too.