paulhunter-e28

ive just won an e28 on ebay!

518i lux 20 bhp more than a 518, also a 518 had front wind up windows. My home movie is still exporting on adobe premiere, im also a professional video editor presenter and narrator. as well as classic car dealer, ww1 fighter ace, light weight e-type goodwood historic racer and ebay tycoon.

Edited by paulhunter-e28

Hi. Funny enough I'm the previous owner of the e28. Paul if u send me a message I'll give you my number and give you some history of the car and answer and questions you've got. I only made a account on this forum site to say I was the previous owner and I'm alive

I run my own business. I've had the car for a very long time and I've enjoyed every single moment of it. It's been very well looked after and had a full valet every week without any question. Due to my commitments I just haven't got the time and resources to get it fixed back up so I decided to let the insurance decide whether they'll fix it or not. It has been looked after a lot and is my pride and joy but I'm glad somebody has got it who is going to fix it up and enjoy it. When I got somebody to have a look at it I was told the engine mount had snapped and the steering rack was bent. I was out of a car and needed one urgently and just couldn't wait to get it repaired however they said it was unrepairable but even I know that is a lie

so what did you crash into ? just curious, did it always idel at 2000 rpm?

do you know what happened to the car mats.

i can confirm the steering rack is bent, and the lower mount is shot, but everything is repairable at a cost.

The car is now in my lock up garage no longer in the cold and rain, 

Edited by paulhunter-e28

Yeah I was told the steering rack was bent aswell. It never idles at 2000rpm always low just under 1000. If you send me your email address I have videos of it running smoothly so you know what it should sound like. And I was driving it was very wet and rainy and as I was going around a round about the back end went on some oil from the buses which was on the road and the car lost control and the front left of the car mounted up a kerb and hit into the yellow bollards. The damage from outside the car was very minor as you can see on the photos but engine wise it took it much worse. It's such a shame as that car has been my pride and joy for a very long time. I've purchase another class 190e 2.0 auto now In replace of it however I am looking to purchase another e28. Maybe even this one again once you fix it up !;)

The crash happened on a Tuesday and the Wednesday morning it was booked in to have a full respray and detailing. Just a shame it never made it to have this done! £1800 it was going to cost. The interior was also going to go to get the seats refurbished as the dash board retrimed due to the cracks. I've got the original Mats and boot toolkit and the lighter thing. The Stereo was taken out because I just put a £250 DAB pioneer one in there to go with the original pioneer speakers it had

i feel so spiritually connected to this car now, its like a jigsaw puzzle, now im seeing the full picture. No wonder this car has been speaking to me, i'm a super car get me out of here!!!!

as the current owner, this evening i feel a lot more reassured now this car is in the lock up. Sitting in a pool of oil i was worried the council and DVLA would remove car and give me an epic fine. I had to ask the car wash boys in Albanian and polish to help push the car, wasn't easy we had to bump the back end riot style to get it lined up. Quite narrow.

Someone in a neighbouring lock up has gained my collection of broken fridge freezers and washing machines. I feel this car is special pleased to say It has a home.

Edited by paulhunter-e28

Yeah I was told the steering rack was bent aswell.

What were they on about ? E28s don't normally have a rack they have a steering box and a drag link. Is that what's bent ? If it is, the tracking will probably look and feel wrong. They're easy enough to change if you can still get them.

its interesting you mention the steering box, this is on the side where the engine mount is shot, could just need a new steering box.

The bonze e28 is now in her new home, up on my ramps i am able to see the source of the epic engine oil leak from the sump after running engine, Something has come through the sump? can anyone identify it

From beneath you can now see where the drivers side fog light is, this will be invaluable as an inspection light working from below.

post-41067-0-96068500-1454546211_thumb.j

post-41067-0-67351500-1454546238_thumb.j

post-41067-0-49249000-1454546255_thumb.j

post-41067-0-16858400-1454546271_thumb.j

Edited by paulhunter-e28

Nice to know the bimmer is no longer outside in the elements anymore, I think i will just keep this car as a long term restoration project, handy to have an exact year example of my own mint e reg 518i lux - for research and development.

post-41067-0-83177800-1454551361_thumb.j

post-41067-0-95500300-1454552805_thumb.j

Edited by paulhunter-e28

its interesting you mention the steering box, this is on the side where the engine mount is shot, could just need a new steering box.

The bonze e28 is now in her new home, up on my ramps i am able to see the source of the epic engine oil leak from the sump after running engine, Something has come through the sump? can anyone identify it

From beneath you can now see where the drivers side fog light is, this will be invaluable as an inspection light working from below.

That is poorly

Well the block maybe, but the top end is just fine. I think the part sticking out the sump maybe a con rod? either way i'm pulling the engine out. mean time id like to get the log book for this car it came with no history or paperwork.

Edited by paulhunter-e28

I am able to see the source of the epic engine oil leak from the sump after running engine, Something has come through the sump? can anyone identify it

Hi Paul,

Ouch.  Is that engine internals trying to get out of a foreign object trying to get in?

If there are fingers of the sump pan pealing out wards then its probably from within the engine, if the sump pan elements are pealing inwards then it is most likely a foreign object invasion.  Couldn't determine either from the photographs.

Good luck with the repairs as the rest of the car looks cracking and is well worth saving IMHO.

Regards,

Mick

If you have no V5, has this car been written off?

I don't think you can remove the cat c status. When you get the log book back it will be printed on the log book and it will remain there forever. You used to have to take cat c cars for VIC checks but I was told they have scrapped it as it's costing more to enforce than it's worth. IE people have given up trying to weld two different cars together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk