paulhunter-e28

ive just won an e28 on ebay!

Hi Paul,

My Bronzitbeige 525e was built in November 1987.  It was a run out Lux model with pearl beige carpet, seats, head rests, door cards, centre consoles, glove box, under dash and rear parcel shelf.  The sun visors, front surround, A pillar covers, B pillar covers, dash cover and door caps were all Nutria.  So bottom half of the cabin Pearl Beige and top half Nutria from the factory.

VIN Decoder for my car:

Bronzitbeige Metallic (139)

Upholstery (7174)

I would suggest that your Nutria Leather has been retrofitted at some point in the past prior to 2010 much like I have recently done to mine.

Keep the pictures coming.

Regards,

Mick

Bronzitbeige Metallic i think is the colour for the e28, with the chrome i think i like it even more than my beloved e28 in atlantis blau. Nutria Leather, Pearl beige Bronzitbeige Metallic...... factory or not its a sexy combination.

thank you steve great to have contact with a fellow bidder, im interested to hear details of your conversation with the seller. He clearly recognized this car was something to save. £££

Im pleased like myself you are interested also in the restoration rather than breaking of this lovely car. As a retro bmw dealer and classic collector i know this car has an unrestored value just as it is, Like yourself and other bidders, its just a question of how far it has to be transported and who wants it the most. Plus their intentions for the renovation.

You mention the BMW scene being 10 years behind VW. Try also classic Ford. An anglia for full restoration basket case will cost you £5k now. A restored Lotus cortina mk1 as much as a damp series 1 E-type? My father owned both and sold to pay the bills? I wish he still had them in a leaking lock up now,

As to the value of your low mileage 518i. i agree 2k is top dollar for a 518i e28 now, but in a few years who knows 3 to 5k

I think as modern cars continue to get worse, Classic cars built to a quality will continue to appreciate. What modern classic car is more practical and better built than an e28. At work this evening, worried my new e28 may be vandalized, I pictured a camping holiday in the south of france and what e28 nuts on the continent might pay for original equipment. 

going back to earlier accounts of this car, i found the tow feature mentioned. Bit of a shame he ditched it. should have fitted it to the front. Nice to see the leccy aerial raised.

"Got rid of the GB sticker and the tow bar fittings"

post-41067-0-31558200-1453959044_thumb.j

Edited by paulhunter-e28

That damage is strange - it looks as it it's run over a bollard, and the car has been reversed back, pulling the valance and bumper up. Standing on the bumper centre would push it down and you *may* be able to straighten it again. The front valance may not repair but you'll get a decent used one for less than 100 quid and spray it yourself with some custom mixed paint from Halfords (£15). Bollocks to paying someone else! With another valance, getting that fixed is a good day's work. The rusty coolant stains on the engine and rad (by the rad cap in particular) look worrying.

BMW alarm best removed and placed in the nearest bin if it's not in full working order. But it looks encouraging.

I took a fully charged battery to the e28 today and got ignition. Cranking the engine proved only to make a clunk, removed the spark plugs and managed to get the engine to turn on the starter, turned freely and fast but some odd noises from bottom end perhaps

an engine mount not sure.

post-41067-0-08889500-1454027876_thumb.j

Edited by paulhunter-e28

Not bad, side lights and both number plates lights! Next tested the electric windows all good, then the exciting part. does the electric sunroof work????

I hit that roof button and for what seemed like forever, day light appeared. Ive never operated an electric sunroof in an e28 that worked amazing. Very nice silent action. My ultimate e28 would have this sunroof!

post-41067-0-16115700-1454028414_thumb.j

post-41067-0-63474100-1454028424_thumb.j

post-41067-0-94426500-1454028449_thumb.j

post-41067-0-97314200-1454028752_thumb.j

Edited by paulhunter-e28

no mate this is where it was released from the trailer outside my lock up. I haven't got the engine to start yet let alone driven it about. I think the bumper rubbers will be re-usable

Amazingly the only working light on the front is the drivers side fog light.!!! i made some video recordings which i will upload later

post-41067-0-57360700-1454029034_thumb.j

Edited by paulhunter-e28

its fair to assume lower front apron is for the metal waste bin

What service is this?

i can see its had a recent oil change but not a new luft filter, who needs a diagnostic plug 

there is nothing wrong with the starter motor, however ive a feeling the reason for the broken dizzy cap on the coil pick up, is due to the rotor arm going up and down rather than just round and round? engine damage is possible, and perhaps reason it wouldnt turn over untill i removed the  plugs, The wack to the sump may have damaged the oil pump & crank.

Tomorrow i will remove valve cover, remove distributor cap, crank engine and see whats happening on the top end. A replacement block wouldn't be so bad should it be needed, and heads are readily available, If it is worst case scenario.

The whole time i'm with this car, its as if its asking me, where am i, i'm not dead am i? yet fully co-operating at the same time. This poor lovley car has had a bad experience that only she knows. It does look like a hit and attempted run.

ive always had the heart over head idea of saving a car from a breakers yard and fixing it up. This is like a dog with a broken leg cheaper to put down. its hard not to get attached.

with the summer coming wouldnt it be nice to see the front end straight and engine firing. Ive passed many cars on this one seems so much better, but unlikely to be anything but a breaker.

post-41067-0-13723100-1454034343_thumb.j

Edited by paulhunter-e28

I may only make hundreds rather than thousands. Its such a cool car though.

1 thing is sure however, you couldnt just fit a new bumper. it wont be easy to remove the old one, and a new one would have to be bent to the same shape to refit. Im not sure this car is going to be repairable.

Don't see why not. The bumper is only attached by a few bolts which are relatively easy to get at. The lower front panels also unbolt quite easily on the e28 so could be straightened. I've fixed worse.

If you were to take off the front bumper, and the lower front panel, then temporarily refit the bumper, you could probably straighten it. With the bonnet open, put a rubber mat on top of the middle of the bumper, then stand on it. I know it will probably look comical, but I'm sure you could improve on what it's like now.

Yours looks like a decent car so I bet it's not as bad as it may first appear. The e28 is one of the best cars of that era.

I'd certainly have another one. I've never fancied the 4 cylinder engine though.

Picture_001.jpgPicture_003.jpgPicture_005.jpg

Picture_006.jpgPicture_007.jpgPicture_008.jpg

Picture_010.jpgPicture_012.jpg

The bonnet was quite bad, but I can't find the photo now. It was about 7 years ago. People said it was too bad to repair, but it wasn't.

When it was finished.

sc_023.jpg

Sorry thought I had posted this yesterday so will be out of sync now.

Sure Paul, as I said I have messaged you my telephone number so feel free to give me a call re my conversation with the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was able to confirm the top end of the engine is perfectly fine. The bottom mount is broken.

The engine is turning freely with spark plugs in. Good compression on all cylinders. 

I am feeling quite confident i will have the engine running tomorrow. Just need dizzy cap and gas.

The air heater blower works with a terrible screeching sound.

post-41067-0-14966000-1454115287_thumb.j

Edited by paulhunter-e28

The air heater blower works with a terrible screeching sound.

Mine did that.  It was the bushes on the motor spindle. They were so bad that the fan blades were rubbing on the plastic housing and wearing it away. I didn't have a spare, so I made some repair bushes out of some bits of a tin can, then slid them into position and put very small cable ties round the spindle to hold them in place. Sounds like it shouldn't work, but it was fine after that.

Hi Paul,

Try a little bit of 3 in 1 oil on the blower motor bearings, it may well quieten down the bearings for a little while but ultimately if they are worn out they are worn out so the scream will return when the bearings dry out again.

I nursed along a 520i blower for a couple of years by regularly oiling the bearings until they broke up completely then had to replace the whole blower motor.

If you replace the blower motor then I would recommend oiling the bearings once a year to inhibit premature bearing wear on the replacement otherwise they seem to last around 80,000 miles / 12 years give or take.

Great to see you checking off the systems and that they are mostly functional or need a little bit of TLC, stand fast the front valance.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

awesome support you guys,I took my daily alfa 146, up to my workshop today to make some more progress. Thanks dan for the front valance how much will you take for it, i can send my man to collect.

Guess who got the engine running today? up to maybe 3000 rpm!!!  :razz:

Then disaster - the recent oil service was all over the ground, literally all the engine oil, on the deck. I can confirm the sump is perished, and maybe a crack in the block? I did clean up the oil however washing up liquid and gunk drive way cleaner.

I have a full movie of my roller coaster experience with this car up to getting the engine running and the tragic event which unfolded.

here is a still for the time being and later i will add link to video on you tube

post-41067-0-96887100-1454196162_thumb.j

post-41067-0-72986100-1454196275_thumb.j

post-41067-0-61887500-1454196295_thumb.j

post-41067-0-35640800-1454196312_thumb.j

Edited by paulhunter-e28