paulhunter-e28

ive just won an e28 on ebay!

369 posts in this topic

Wow so excited - just the last bits and bobs now, Bang the exhaust on, some fresh petrol a new battery. Engine oil and coolant, torque the head bolts and should be running maybe this time next weekend! I havnt broken anything, and haven't even had a flesh wound. 

The other day i replaced the chain tensioner, with the timing marks aligned. As i precaution i will manually turn the engine a full few revolutions to feel for any contact, I have compared the setup it to my other known running 518i and looks exact, really useful having 2 of the same car. 

Firing order 1-3-4-2. 

TDC on cylinder 1.

Distributor rotor is pointing to no.1 plug cylinder on the cap.

Timing marks lined up with the markers.

All valves are closed near enough.  

At this point, what would be the 1st valve to open?  Exhaust valve no.1 Then inlet no.3? I could be wrong...

DSCN2746.JPG

One i knocked up earlier, its all mix and matched from various e28's as is the whole car. This lux model has a manual sunroof. With green tinted glass.

DSCN2748.JPG

You can just see the marker line on the camshaft aligned with oil tube.

DSCN2754.JPG

Crankshaft pully marker.

DSCN2762.JPG

Rotor pointing to no.1

DSCN2361.JPG

I hope the 2nd start will be more successful than the 1st - after a whole engine rebuild!

Im going to stick with these wheels, they look correct, if unoriginal, i like to feel different, but not on this occasion. They suit the car. If the car starts and runs ill replace the tyres for a better size. If the car does not run satisfactory, sadly its back on ebay as spares or repairs. 

Edited by paulhunter-e28
edit

Much, much, much later than hoped. I'm going to try and start the car for the 2nd time tomorrow. Its fully rebuilt and complete again, fluids, coolant, fuel all ready to fire or not. I'm really anxious in case its sh@t, It would really make or break my life. This being the only interest in it.

Fingers crossed. Everyone will be down at the lock up - watching with interest. Will it fire or wont it?

aQ8x53G.jpg

Edited by paulhunter-e28

The re-fire was delayed as i had decided to fit an all new exhaust system and finding a centre section proved quite difficult, I also have a nice worn BMW key thob instead of a scrappers cable tie - It matches the cars overall condition, a bit rough around the edges but good. The way like a car to be. I have also fitted an actual gear knob for a BMW? no idea what was banged on before. If the car does run, 1st stop will be for a valet from the polish car wash boys who helped push the car into the garage after the 1st run - resulting in epic internal destruction to the engine.

DSCN2789.JPG

DSCN2775.JPG

DSCN2781.JPG

Another disaster or success, this time tomorrow i will know the answear.

Edited by paulhunter-e28

11 hours ago, paulhunter-e28 said:

The re-fire was delayed as i had decided to fit an all new exhaust system and finding a centre section proved quite difficult, I also have a nice worn BMW key thob instead of a scrappers cable tie - It matches the cars overall condition, a bit rough around the edges but good. The way like a car to be. I have also fitted an actual gear knob for a BMW? no idea what was banged on before. If the car does run, 1st stop will be for a valet from the polish car wash boys who helped push the car into the garage after the 1st run - resulting in epic internal destruction to the engine.

DSCN2789.JPG

DSCN2775.JPG

DSCN2781.JPG

Another disaster or success, this time tomorrow i will know the answear.

Really hope it fires up OK internals remain in right places after all the work you have done.

paulhunter-e28 likes this

Thank you.

I took a fully charged battery to the lock up this afternoon, and with ignition on, i could hear the fuel pump buzz into life and the fuel system held pressure. No leaks from fuel connections or inlet manifold. 

I cranked the starter which turned freely and fast, the engine coughed, spluttered and back fired - I waited a moment. Cranking again she fired up into life. The m10 fired on all 4 - she blew strongly and sucked hard! compression seems very good.  It was however obvious there was a fault,

A mega blow from the manifold where it meets the downpipe.

I ordered not to abort the test! Exhaust blows are fine, inevitable on 1st starts. What i wanted to know was do we have oil pressure! Yes we have oil pressure confirmed by the dash. Fantastic, now choking on the fumes the car ideled at a stable 500 - 600 aprok RPM, and reved up very cleanly without vibration or hesitancy. Then i killed it and rushed to get some clean air. Delighted as i stood with a foot hole at the top of everest.

The test was a success. and the polish men cheered - Congratulations, The project has been approved and the budget will continue for further development,

DSCN2795.JPG

Oil remained in the engine this time and the oil pump was not thrown out the sump.

DSCN2793.JPG

The all new pearl beige ish, leather gear gaitor, and an actual BMW gear knob really complete the look feel of a luxury executive. The gears operate well and the clutch feels good. 

DSCN2802.JPG

The new exhaust system fitted late last night sounded nice, with clean looking emmisions. 

Its a huge positive when it was really needed at this stage in the project.

Edited by paulhunter-e28

After the fumes had cleared i returned to enjoy the moment - A new experience for a car that had ran out of road, now the autobarn is ahead - new journeys to come. Car is still registered Cat C however.

DSCN2808.JPG

296409747-wernher-von-braun-rocket-engine-operation-overcast-v2.jpg

Tonight we celebrate.

Edited by paulhunter-e28

Indeed celebrate and leap the last few hurdles, good save well done

You have done the E28 equivalent of Andy Murray last night..:P

Any more on this?? I've just spent 2 hours reading this and can't believe its not come to an acceptable conclusion!

I feel cheated! ;)

Apologies for my absence - i had to put the project on hold during the Russian winter. My priority had to be find a new leak free, secure hanger for the old war bird. I had to vacate the original lock up unit, due to a change of contract with the land lord. I was given 3 weeks to vacate.

Luckily Bronzit was drivable, albeit with a very low exhaust due to distortion in the original exhaust downpipe, a result of the accident. So off to the new man cave we went late on a friday night, hopefully the police would be too busy with drunks to notice an illegal flight taking place down the main road,

Guynemer_Gotha.jpg

Luckily the mission was a complete success. We made it to the new base without interception.

Progress continues. This time the walls of the new man cave are 5 meters thick of reinforced concrete.

Edited by paulhunter-e28
Ordnator, Rosie and pidgeonpost like this

Here we can see the flange distortion to the exhaust downpipe - compared to the genuine replacement i have sourced. Finding one wasnt easy and it wasnt cheap at £100. But it means the exhaust system is where it should be, and the system is now gas tight.

DSCN2869.JPG

Many many many many gaskets had to be used to cancel out the distortion to the neck.

This is the last damaged item to be removed from the vehicle.

DSCN2866.JPG

Jubilee clip with a patch of beer can - plus plenty of paste silenced the split in the pipe, for the first solo flight with the new engine.

DSCN2872.JPG

I had bought a pattern part from Germany, but was dissapointed to find, it was utterly wrong in every way so it went back.

This part is now Discontinued by BMW.

Its nice to be back on with the project, now the weather is milder and progress continues, a man in his man cave is a man in his own creation.

oos-hangar.jpg

Edited by paulhunter-e28
Rosie, urquattro, Ordnator and 1 other like this

Well i bought this project car on ebay - now its back on ebay for sale

Sadly i lost my lock up, and she has to go.

DSCN2877.JPG

Handsome again and looking sharp

DSCN2879.JPG

Bronzit is now at my home address and is nice to see from the kitchen. Waiting for a new owner and a new journey to come.

DSCN2887.JPG

Donar engine looks honest and complete.

DSCN2899.JPG

Period stereo for a correct interior experience 

DSCN2890.JPG

Age related marks do not spoil the elegant lines.

DSCN2907.JPG

Rather annoying is this brake wear light remaining on. Car idels at 680 aprok rpm 

DSCN2875.JPG

clean smoke

DSCN2876.JPG

started the auction at £500 - who knows what it will make. 

DSCN2878.JPG

Classic sharknose

Edited by paulhunter-e28
Ordnator likes this

My parents didnt even know i had a car in my lock up. Untill last night when i told them it was coming here on a transporter. Luckily it does not appear to be dripping oil on the driveway

DSCN2931.JPG

seeing this car in the more attractive surroundings of a green surrey property puts it into context - executive family saloon. Its added a very retro atmosphere and feeling of the 80s. Along with something thats become lost over the decades. Contrasting with the neighbours, there drives look souless. 

DSCN2908.JPG

Edited by paulhunter-e28
Ordnator likes this

Just checked in to this thread, as I enjoyed reading it a while back. Sad to hear you had to sell, what did she fetch in the end?

I wouldn't take less than 2000 quid for it. If it doesn't make that, tax and insure it, enjoying the fruits of your labours.

I bought a cat C E34 520i Auto last week. Amazingly unrusty but clobbered wing and two doors. New wing and two used doors into paintshop Monday, hopefully reassemble the beast next weekend. Whilst it should turn a modest profit, it's the satisfaction of saving something that was built to last two decades and has done that with three years on top.

Carl-e34, Ordnator and pidgeonpost like this