benjj

Rear door won't open

Hello gents, wonder if anyone has an idea about this:

Was very cold up here in t'Dales last night and the car (2001 E39) was all frozen up this morning. Front door opened fine and I went to sling the kids school bags on the back seat and the rear door wouldn't close - essentially frozen open.

I tried about 20 times to close it but no joy, in a rush I drove off with it not latched just to get some heat into the car hoping to thaw it.

Half a mile later I pulled over to close it but still no joy. So I pushed down the lock button and slammed it - all good, door closed, off on the school run!

When I got back later and parked up I tried the door and it wouldn't open at all. Both inner and outer handles aren't working.

Any ideas?!

This happens with my rear doors in cold weather, I think it's due to lack of lube in the lock mechanism but I never remember to get round to taking the door cards when it warms up. I think I got round it the other day by holding the door closed from the outside and locking the door with the remote - it stayed properly closed when I unlocked the car with the remote to get in again.

Thanks, it's been in the garage all day so I'll have a try later after work. If/when I get it open I'll lube it up good and proper!

A good squirt of WD40 to get rid of any cack stuck in there (use the straw attachment to get right in) and leave it a day or 2 to dry out/evaporate etc and then give it another dousing with lithium grease (again, using the straw to get in to the mechanism etc)

Coat the latch part as well and wipe any excess... Should be fine thereafter :)

While you're at it, do the same with every door, the boot and the bonnet catches ;)