duncan-uk

Tell me about Audi rs4's...

123 posts in this topic

Wrong place I know but if I only have one car it needs to be an estate (dog,kids,duty stuff) and yet I fancy a fun car too. 530d sport is an awesome all rounder but if I wanted more where do I look? Alpina? 540? Most of which are autos. Bmw don't do an m3 touring so is the rs4 worth considering?

Which ones you looking at ?

B5 - 2.7 BI-Turbo - Avant Only,

B7 - 4.2 V8 - Avant Or Saloon,

You should also consider the S4 Models aswell - Can be cheaper to buy and with simple mods are just as fast as the RS's.Here are a few Audi forums to have a read on regarding buying advice etc.

Audisrs

Audi - Sport,

RS246,

AudiZine

urquattro likes this

I know that a prerequisite for owning an RS6 in particular is to undertake all traffic moving in front of you, at warp speed, as you are obviously a driving god.

This aside, they do however sound AWESOME.

rob-the-viking likes this

I suspect the answer is that an RS4 isn't big enough for you, and an RS6 has a propensity to throw massive bills regularly.

If the S4 could tow, I'd probably still have my old one, but I never really hankered after the RS.

FSi can clog the valves, clean around every 60k..

Costs a grand..

Clutches are common around a grand again..

Then normal running costs are quite heavy, I would say on par with M5 ..

My mate has a nice RS6 avant for sale if you fancy it. £30k. 808bhp

If it was me and I had to have an Audi, it would be an S4... 3.0 with supercharger... Swift car and cheap in comparison

Wabby likes this

808! Ulp not sure my pants could cope with that bet it's scary rapid!

Are they any better / worse than say an e39 m5 in terms of running costs though?

As an ex B7 RS4 Avant owner and after nearly buying both V8 and V10 RS6 Avants I am quite well educated on this questions

To this very day, the RS4 is one car I really to miss and hanker after another. The drive was amazing, the engine on song was a gem (Although as Gaz has said they do coke up these days) MPG isn't too mad and 22 avg is achievable, 30 if you drive like miss daisy. 

I had mine from new, daytona Grey, wing back recaro seats, flat bottom wheel, privacy glass it really was an amazing car!!

However, and its a big however, I from about 20k on the clock had to have 2 new shocks (although i think these can now be repaired not just replaced) and it was the worst estate car ever, the boot isnt that wide and the floor is quite high. Depending on how much additional space you need over a salon it may still be more than enough. It was for me. 

Now on to the RS6's - The V8s cost a fortune to run and IMO one of the dullest cars to drive, fast and capable yes, fun to drive - Not really. The V10 I looked at had an MTM Tune @ 707hp bonkers - absolutely bonkers !! The fastest straight line car I have ever driven, warp speed fast and easy to get more powers!! HUGE vast in size, inside and out, but again expensive to run and maintain. 

I have added a few pics of both mentioned to help you :)

post-32033-0-21839400-1453278893_thumb.j

post-32033-0-91647700-1453278894_thumb.j

post-32033-0-93474400-1453278896_thumb.j

post-32033-0-17323600-1453279129_thumb.j

Wrong place I know but if I only have one car it needs to be an estate (dog,kids,duty stuff) and yet I fancy a fun car too. 530d sport is an awesome all rounder but if I wanted more where do I look? Alpina? 540? Most of which are autos. Bmw don't do an m3 touring so is the rs4 worth considering?

I think the rs4 is a gorgeous car, and is still fun and sporty. I might be the wrong person to ask, since I only have nieces and no kids of my own, but it all depends on if your car planning meets your family planning goals. If you only plan to have two kids and a small dog, then go for it. More and you've got a problem. Consider car seats and how much space they take up. You will be fitting only two car seats in the back of your rs4. However, at least it is a four door, so you're ahead there. I once in a while take my nieces in a two door.....trying to get car seats in and out of the back seat of a two door......ugh, no words describe that hassle and misery. 

^ it's in response to the kids and dog I have. E39 touring I gave is a good size and drives well and can be entertaining but I miss the throttle response and precision of the m3 I had previously.

Was wondering if there was one car that could do all and maybe the rs4 was it.

Back to the drawing board

And you think an RS variant Audi running costs won't be at least on a par with that?

Still a large "V" variant engine but running forced induction and a 4WD system. My money is on they cost more to run, repair and maintain than the E60/1 M5

DUFFY likes this

I thought the 4.2 was normally aspirated? I pegged them at e39 running costs rather than v10?

The RS6 has always been a twin turbo. In its "5" incarnation there's no way it would have rivalled the E39 performance wise with a normally asprirated 4.2 powering 4 wheels considering the E39 had a 5 litre powering 2.

I think they're about 440BHP as standard, no way that's without turbo assistance

Edited by jamiepeers

Warped discs are quite common and not cheap. Still a very good car.

The RS4 4.2 is N/A, the RS6 4.2 isn't.

Thanks Dan, thats what i thought.

Sounds a good way to leak money :(

yes the B7 is a 4.2 NA - near 9000 RPM red line

420hp not 440hp

Running costs are not massive, yes they can eat disks but there are plenty of aftermarket ones out there now that dont suffer.

Go and drive one, I think it will do all you want

We have had our B6 S4 Cabriolet for over 70k miles from 40k miles. We selected it over an E46 M3 Cab and a B7 RS4 Cab to replace a TVR Griffith 500 that had become lacking in seating capacity. We had to rule out an M3 Cab as we genuinely couldn't find an honest clean one without the 19" wheels on it, and living up t'hill in Yorkshire made us think about the Quattro AWD.

Whilst considering the S4 and RS4 I conducted a bit of research on the costs of ongoing maintenance items such as brakes; a set of genuine front discs and pads for the S4 rocked up at about £150 but the RS4 items were more than three times the price, with similar comparisons on other items and a fair increase on the insurance premium as well. Driving the two revealed a similar comparison between the B10 V8 Alpina and the E39 M5, in that you have to wring that last ten tenth out of the engine to realise any significant difference in go between the two.

The S4 is definitely a 'softer' option than the RS4 but the S4 has a more comfortable ride (18's as standard rather than 19's) and still makes all the right noises in the higher rev range and we have found it has enough go for us. Beware of the manual B6 S4's in terms of any economy though, as a different final drive ratio to the Tiptronic cars means far higher revs at motorway speeds, circa 3.5k compared to 2.5k. A Tiptronic S4 may just 30mpg on a run but a manual car will struggle to reach 25mpg.

Lastly, and this is a maybe for consideration, the RS4 cars have the lairy exhausts, seats, wheel arches, wheels and reputation whereas the S4's are almost anonymous in comparison meaning desirability, threat of theft and subsequently Insurance premium are significantly reduced.

We still miss the Griffith though, that was a motorcar that was nearer to a missile in performance and even just starting the car and listening to that V8 burble at tickover was a beautiful event.

my best mate has a b7 rs4

one of the first things he had to do was get the head decoked.. while he was at it he had it remapped, it ended up something silly like 100 bhp up on when it came into be sorted,ie it had lost loads....

I've been out in it a few times... i haven't driven it... Its got nice seats... that is literally all i can say about it, it's not especially quick, it doesn't look particularly fun to drive, i would be inclined to say im not sure he would be getting away from my 530d on country roads, i know he comes back with ridiculous bills all the time for the thing....he recently bought a porsche boxster and i think the drives that more and leaves the rs4 at home for the wife to go shopping in...

I used to be into my audis, proper ones with the engine the right way round and 5 cylinders, some even had awd, they all understeered like a fat pig being chased by David Cameron on a hoverboard. every BMW however has had better handling, and apart form doing axis spins, has been more fun...