Nomis

Truck photos.

God how i used to hate those Axors, really nasty things to drive, totally different from the Actros. We had them on the milk for a while but they didn't last very long, they weren't suitable for pulling tanks.

post-30133-0-26649300-1453030652_thumb.j

Various random agency jobs from over the years.

Store deliveries for Currys

post-30133-0-07995700-1453030732_thumb.j

Reels of packaging card for a printers somewhere down in Devon.

post-30133-0-88651200-1453030821_thumb.j

post-30133-0-12087700-1453030821_thumb.j

post-30133-0-34617500-1453030820_thumb.j

New empty beer bottles for a brewery in Magor, S Wales.

post-30133-0-41662800-1453031057_thumb.j

post-30133-0-22463400-1453031058_thumb.j

post-30133-0-32153900-1453031059_thumb.j

I've driven more recent axors with the auto boxes and they are truly awful things but the one in that photo was an earlier one, 04 iirc, which had 400bhp and the actros gearbox with clutch and for that job was spot on, pulled really well and hardly ever got stuck. Yes for cruising up the motorways the actros is a far superior motor but not so good for site work.

A few recent picspost-46856-0-42453000-1453035310_thumb.j

All set for Beith,Scotland.

post-46856-0-39236000-1453035392_thumb.j

Delivering wall sections to a new warehouse build in Burnley.

post-46856-0-89605300-1453035461_thumb.j

Another day in paradise :)

To be honest the weather hasn't,t bothered me at all,I love this job I,m on now,something different everyday,proper good wage,good tackle do the job with and a decent boss,I wouldn't thank you for a fridge job now.

Lots of respect for your dad Simon no matter how many trips he did,that's when lorry drivers WERE LORRY DRIVERS,

I despair nowadays what our profession has turned into and the quality of some steering wheel attendants,

Anyway give your dads hand a shake from me when you see him.

A few recent picsattachicon.gifimage.jpg

All set for Beith,Scotland.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Delivering wall sections to a new warehouse build in Burnley.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Another day in paradise :)

To be honest the weather hasn't,t bothered me at all,I love this job I,m on now,something different everyday,proper good wage,good tackle do the job with and a decent boss,I wouldn't thank you for a fridge job now.

You've got the job and kit I've been looking for all my trucking life!!! I can't find anybody round here that does that sort of thing. I don't see me stopping on this container job too long, it's too easy and I can feel my brain turning to mush!!! If your boss needs to base a truck round here I'm his driver

Doing the clay for wavin with the pig is probably the best job I've ever done, loved it but I couldn't get the boss to transfer me off the plastics up to the clay factory. He said he didn't want to lose me so I left and he lost me anyway!

post-36959-14530378644461_thumb.jpg

Colemans are Burton based Simon,wouldn't be much more than an hour for you or less in the ST :)

I,m only 30 mile away from the yard but still stay in yard if I,m back as there's all facilities there ie showers & kitchen,

If you fancy a chat so I can tell you more about it i can always pm you my number.

Love your XF Mick, of all the trucks i've driven i'd probably say that DAF's are my favourite, them and Scania's are the only truck where i can get the steering wheel in a comfortable position ie almost vertical like a car, too "flat" in everything else.

To be fair Paddy i,ve been over the moon with the DAF,i,m looking forward to the Scania but i,ll miss the DAF,its helped being a manual on the sites and it just does the job with no fuss,

One thing with it is you can lift the midlift up completely even fully loaded which gives you maximum traction on sites,something i know the Scanias don,t do,with them you can only transfer weight onto the drive for a short time.

What makes a good truck? Power and economy I suppose but after that is it feature, comfort and kit? Does handling and driving dynamics count for much like it might in a car?

One thing with it is you can lift the midlift up completely even fully loaded which gives you maximum traction on sites,something i know the Scanias don,t do,with them you can only transfer weight onto the drive for a short time.

Know what you mean Mick, always handy when trying to pull out of farmyards into country lanes and the like.

For me duncan,as i,m away all week in cab space and comfort are high on the list,power is a must on our work as we run at top weight most of the time,

I would say most trucks actually handle alike,the deciding factor will be your load weight and distribution.

Owner drivers and small companies will most likely have different priorities when speccing a new truck compared to the large logistics companies who will more than likely lease their trucks and just take a standard spec vehicle.

What makes a good truck? Power and economy I suppose but after that is it feature, comfort and kit? Does handling and driving dynamics count for much like it might in a car?

I think you are spot on when you say it is much like picking a car. Unfortunately, somebody has usually made the choice for you. Not in work ATM but when I am, I cab hop like Nomis. My totally prejudiced and unreliable observations:

Scania - cabs roll too much.

Renault - you need crampons to get into the cab and they roll even more than Scanias

Mercedes - Same 3 pedal auto as Renault which is not bad but the brakes don't work

MAN- who moved the brake pedal ....?

Volvo- Aren't these controls a bit heavy for a posh truck?

DAF- Probably noisier than any of them but the manual just does what it says on the can

Not mine and not a manual. But he does keep it very clean: 

carlstruck_zpsqtmndpfs.jpg

I used to do around 3 nights out a week and as Mick says, cab space is very important. My last tramping truck was this

post-36959-14530534903047_thumb.jpg

Which had plenty of space but the only option spec'd was upgraded speakers complete with a big sub behind the drivers seat lol. A fridge would have been more useful

These MAN's have what can only be described as THE most retarded semi auto gearbox in the world! However, the one I had had a very generous speed limiter, 58mph which meant not many trucks passed me

I drove a manual DAF a few weeks ago and after several years of not driving one it was pure joy!!! BUT! When did DAF do away with their lovely 4 over 4 splitter box and go 3 over 3 like Scania and volvo's of old?

post-36959-14530542718867_thumb.jpg

That doesn't even look right for the Scania 3/3 style either- with or without the stupid collar to change the range. There shouldn't be anything where 1 or 5 normally live??? Best thing about the DAF was the 4/4 +1/2 :-(

Hi,

I used to do a bit of agency driving, the truck isn't much to look at, but hey I wanted to join in lol...

post-36082-0-71880600-1453063144_thumb.j

Cheers,

Gavin :)

Having spent so much time with the same truck I guess I would be biased towards a Volvo and a manual but things seem to be shifting towards auto these days, a sign of the times I suppose. I was very fortunate in that mine had just about every option worth having at the the time with features mentioned earlier as well as flat screen tv, built in fridge, electric everything and large fuel tanks which all contribute towards a week away being a bit more comfortable/relaxing. The sway towards manual in my mind was probably in part down to the fact mine was lhd as oppose to the rhd versions where the cable arrangement was different and didn't always work as well.

That doesn't even look right for the Scania 3/3 style either- with or without the stupid collar to change the range. There shouldn't be anything where 1 or 5 normally live??? Best thing about the DAF was the 4/4 +1/2 :-(

If I recall correctly volvos 3 over 3 was the same as that but the Scania was the other way up.

Don't recall driving a 3/3 Volvo. My dislike of autos stems from:

They are rubbish when it comes to picking up a trailer, particularly if it is loaded

They have two speeds in reverse - stopped or too fast

They change up just before a bend when you want to hold a gear

I suppose a compromise is the 3 pedal Scania. At least you can use the clutch when picking up a trailer or getting on a bay. The truck auto box does have an advantage over the car though -  you can knock it up or down gears in auto mode. Surprised my wiper stalk is still intact :smile:

Edited by whiskychaser

For me auto trucks are all just plain wrong. Part of truck driving should be mastering different types of gearboxes and anybody that can't or can't be bothered shouldn't be driving. I have driven 3 peddle auto scanias and in theory it's a good idea but in practice a bit pointless. Some autos are good, maybe even very good such as the Volvo ishift but I still don't like them.

Whilst I'm on a rant about bloody annoying truck tech I'll mention maritimes trailers which have all got reversing sensors. Great idea you may think except they are connected to the trailer brakes. They constantly give a false reading of an obstacle and slam the breaks on making you think you've hit something! Because they do it constantly it's become a cry wolf situation.

Yet another good idea in theory but bad in practice.

Somebody please transport me back to the 1980's in their delorean.

I used to pull trailers for a firm that had sensors fitted, they were horrible and as you say would just stop dead for no good reason most of the time, they weren't on them for long. Being able to hold a gear on approaching a bend etc is a benefit of a manual as well as low speed menouvering etc, also dropping half a gear on the limiter on the approach to a steep hill when you're heavy, a lot of very powerful trucks will still slow down up hill whilst the gearbox drops down which when fully loaded means you will always lose momentum.

Whilst I'm on a rant about bloody annoying truck tech I'll mention maritimes trailers which have all got reversing sensors. Great idea you may think except they are connected to the trailer brakes. They constantly give a false reading of an obstacle and slam the breaks on making you think you've hit something!

I did a bit of work on the agency many years ago at a local Sainsburys Distribution Centre. Their trailers had those sensors and they were a PITA when trying to reverse onto bay's. I found out that they got their power from the white electrical suzi, so if i had to reverse onto a bay i would jump out, pull the plug, and reverse straight onto the bay. Yours may be wired differently, but worth a try.