davek525d

Yet another problem - Fuel pump fault on idrive

Hi Guys, had a couple of months trouble free driving for a change and a week ago I went to start the car and it was completely dead! Think my daughter left the stereo on, so charged the battery now the car won't start, just turns over and over. The idrive now shows fuel pump fault, this is a new fault for me!

I have stripped the back seat out and checked the in tank pump has power and its trying to do something. I need to check that fuel is getting to the rail but has anyone had this fault and fixed it?

Found a few threads but no conclusions.

Hope someone can help as I've nearly had enough of this car!!!

Edited by davek525d

Are you sure the battery is charged enough to start up the car? Once my car had a flat battery too and I've tried to jump start it from another car, Vauxhall Astra and when I tried to start up my car the other car died completely. So the amount of power that Vauxhal had, with the engine running couldn't start my car but it even died itself. So I called another friend with a BMW who could successfully give me juice to start it up fine. Was ok since and that's over a year ago but that was my experience.

If you have DIS, try and plug it in and do a diagnosis on the car to see what errors come up. I guess you can't start up the car but you can put on the ignition.

Apart from this, I don't really know what to advise you.

Good luck with that and if I can be of any help, don't hesitate to ask.

I've got plenty of power in the battery, and it was a new battery last July, when the SLS finally failed and had to replace the air pump. The car tried to pump itself up for 4 days and never went to sleep and killed the old battery!

When i checked the pump and sender unit last weekend, i didn't think much of it at the time as i was concerned with power to the pump, but the fuel level in the tank was very low. Maybe the sender unit/level float sensor has gone kaput and there actually isn't ¼ tank left in it. The suction noise the pump makes could indicate that as well. I'm going to put a can full of diesel in it tonight and try again.

Fingers crossed and I will post the result because i find that most of the time that people ask for help they sometimes don't say if it ever got it fixed and the thread just dies off with no conclusion! I'm sure they are just pleased it's running again.

PROBLEM SOLVED! ... For now. I have put a 5L can of derv in and turned on ignition to prime fuel system and after a while it sounded how it should, fired it up and hey presto she's running again!

Conclusion is that the fuel level sender unit is faulty as rather than quarter of a tank it had a thimble full!

If I clear the trip each time I fill up and only drive 400 miles I should have plenty left. At some point I could change the sender unit and float under the right hand side of the rear seat. It's the asker one of the two units to change as well.

Thanks for looking and hope it helps someone else.

Well the car ran fine for one day. 70 mile round trip to work...parked it on the drive and the next morning it's completely dead again. Figure I must have a battery drain or short somewhere.

The rear glass window (E61) kept popping open on its own, this is another new fault for me and yes I have rewired the whole tailgate already, had a little look and the solenoid kept trying fire so figured it could be that.

Had the battery on trickle charge for two days and this morning decided to eliminate that issue and I have disconnected the plug to the glass window switch. Car starts first time so fuel issue is sorted but now the rear wiper won't work (sure this has a separate supply to the glass window switch) and the front wipers won't stop working!!

Can't switch them off at all, the auto function light works so has power to the stalk but unless I move to Cumbria where it rains all the time it's going to become very irritating ahhhh!

My patience has ran out, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Is it a relay? I think it's under the bonnet.

Quite honestly I don't care about the rear wiper just need to get the front wipers working properly.

Edit...just disconnected the battery and left it for 30 mins and the front wipers are working properly again now, rear wiper is not working at all, nor is the rear washer. Can't think the washer pump takes its power from the rear switch as it must be in the washer reservoir at the front?? Had to clear an error with laptop as showing seatbelt/airbag failure. It's running again for now. Just have to see now if the rear glass switch was the power drain.

Looking forward to selling it...anyone interested!?!?! Ha ha only joking wouldn't put you through the pain!

Edited by davek525d

On 1/12/2016 at 9:04 PM, davek525d said:

PROBLEM SOLVED! ... For now. I have put a 5L can of derv in and turned on ignition to prime fuel system and after a while it sounded how it should, fired it up and hey presto she's running again!

Conclusion is that the fuel level sender unit is faulty as rather than quarter of a tank it had a thimble full!

If I clear the trip each time I fill up and only drive 400 miles I should have plenty left. At some point I could change the sender unit and float under the right hand side of the rear seat. It's the asker one of the two units to change as well.

Thanks for looking and hope it helps someone else.

Hi I’ve got a Bmw 520d 2008 lci was driving and a message came up on Idrive saying something about fuel pump then car cut out tried to restart but would cut out straight away now want start at all I’ve changed fuel filter and had a look at pump in the tank but is the pump in the tank meant to pump when the  ignition is turn on? I.e without starting the car? As mine isn’t, I’ve plugged ista+ and it’s saying  fuel rail pressure too low