Draxx

Error codes after coming back from dealer

Hi All, 

I've been having transmission issues on and off for the past two years - I get "Gear selector fault" or "Gear lever fault" bong up on the iDrive as the car tries to change gear - I then loose drive whilst it decides what gear its in.  Not safe, especially if I'm pulling out into traffic etc.

Anyway it's been in to Cooper Reading countless times for this issue - they thought they had fixed it by changing the alternator (apparently it was causing voltage spikes).  But alas the fault has returned.

Took it in again and this time they have said it was the light sensor confusing the ECU and have replaced it - hmmmm!

I do monitor codes with Carly and there has been a few transmission related before the alternator :-

Trans GS19

00CF2E - unknown fault

Trans GS19
0051AA - Position info CAN

Trans GS19
0050DC - Unknown fault

and it's also always had this light error 009CC5

Now after the alternator "fix" I've just got the following codes which they have "fixed" by changing the light sensor lol

Trans GS19

0051AA - Position info CAN

Trans GS19
00CF2E - Unknown fault

Trans GS19

0050DC - unknown fault

and the usual 009CC5 light code

Now after it has come back today from Coopers I have the following codes present:-

Car Communication Computer CCC 00E18D - Message failure

Car Communication Computer CCC 00E18F - Message failure

and old faithful, the light error code 009CC5.

So, it appears they have no clue whatsoever in fixing my transmission problem, but what have the buggered up in the process of fitting this light sensor?

Does any of you kind people have any idea what the hell is going on?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Oh forgot to mention:-

·         Yellow cog with exclamation mark appears sometimes on engine start on instrument cluster – not whilst driving.

·         In low radio signal areas when the doors of locked and unlocked there is a hiss of static sound coming out of the speakers.  Interference from the actuators?  Doesn’t happen whilst playing CD.  So must be something to do with the radio reception/bad earth etc…?.

·         Along the same note the drivers and near side rear door locking rod is sometimes very slow to move up and down – this does sometimes coincide with the static sound on the radio.

·         Again whilst starting the car, sometimes the instrument cluster will show a flash of vertical bars and the MPG will reset back to “--“ i.e. zero.  Appears to happen more often when it is colder weather.

-          Normal -  www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjLvPutoByE

-          Reset -  www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI5m3FC64O8

Are all these linked to an electrical fault somewhere?

Edited by Paul Fisher

Autobox

CF2E - Position information via LIN from the GWS control unit 

50DC - Gear Position Sensor

51AA - Signal from GWS - Position Information

Light Module

9CC5 - RLS : No Response

I would hazzard a guess it's the GWS ECU, as LCI has electronic gearshift, the ECU box is directly under the gearlever, in fact the gearlever is attached to it, its around £300 for this part if I remember rightly.  There's plenty of cheaper 2nd hand ones on ebay I've seen, one here which is the standard Non-SAT version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-E60-E61-2007-To-2010-5-Series-M-Sport-Gear-Shift-Lever-Selector-/252220355350?hash=item3ab9813316:g:ZUcAAOSwT5tWJYR0

Edited by leew88

I would hazzard a guess it's the GWS ECU, as LCI has electronic gearshift, the ECU box is directly under the gearlever, in fact the gearlever is attached to it, its around £300 for this part if I remember rightly.  There's plenty of cheaper 2nd hand ones on ebay I've seen, one here which is the standard Non-SAT version

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bmw-E60-E61-2007-To-2010-5-Series-M-Sport-Gear-Shift-Lever-Selector-/252220355350?hash=item3ab9813316:g:ZUcAAOSwT5tWJYR0

Forgot to mention Coopers replaced the whole shifter after they broke it.

Out of interest have you changed or checked you battery?

I kept getting transmission error cog and limp mode an the battery was causing it.

No, I have yet to check the battery.  I was hoping those dopes at the dealer would do all of that ;)

Car is under warranty.

If you have INPA, check your modules to find out what has been updated.  E60 -> functional jobs -> UHF (F3). 

I don't have INPA unfortunately, only Carly.

No, I have yet to check the battery.  I was hoping those dopes at the dealer would do all of that ;)

Car is under warranty.

GWS talks to the EGS which is the ecu in the transmission, I read somewhere there is a bulletin about a known issue with bad corroded pins on the connector which plugs into the mechatronic unit.  This would cause the CAN bus signalling issue you are explaining, since it's under warranty get them to check this connection.

GWS talks to the EGS which is the ecu in the transmission, I read somewhere there is a bulletin about a known issue with bad corroded pins on the connector which plugs into the mechatronic unit.  This would cause the CAN bus signalling issue you are explaining, since it's under warranty get them to check this connection.

If you could remember where you saw that bulletin, it would massively help me out with those numpties if I brought a copy in lol

See attached, not exactly the fault codes your getting but worth trying all possibilities.

As already mentioned also dodgy batteries do often play havoc on our cars causing strange electrical anomolies, get them to change it and see what happens.

Various Complaints Due to Poor Connection at Transmission Connector1.pdf