Dougwood1978

E28 M5 #176 Royal Blau restoration project

Certainly have my friend. Saalbach/hinterglemm. Had a crazy instructor too. Who decided that the offpiste was the warm up at 9am.

Im in bits now though.

Doug - cheers for the update. Sill ends are sold as the front a pillers. The rears are pretty easy to fab up. Definitely not full length. Do you have pics of your aftermarket ones? Anygood?

Edited by WickRatson

Not got the ones from Wallothnesch yet but will take some pics when I get them. if they're not what I'm looking for ill get busy with the joggler and air saw!

Fortunately as I'm not basking in the Spanish sun drinking San Miguel, I'll be able to get the bodywork sorted quite quickly even if my updates are not as rapid as some would want ;-)

Edited by Dougwood1978

New chassis rail fabricated this week. New front floor in progress. Pile of iron oxide is the remnants of the offside chassis rail. Strangely, the Nearside chassis rail (which is usually much worse) is pretty good

post-62326-0-97272400-1454239658_thumb.j

post-62326-0-39869200-1454239686_thumb.j

post-62326-0-38249300-1454239718_thumb.j

post-62326-0-34174400-1454239738_thumb.j

post-62326-0-31076400-1454239756_thumb.j

post-62326-0-84455200-1454239781_thumb.j

Edited by Dougwood1978

No. Unfortunately this car is locked in my ownership now, and as my OCD has been getting worse as I get older, the sight of a cracked dash is messing with my mojo. The car also doesn't have its original tyres, exhaust, clutch, fluids or brakes..... And I've been modifying things so I can still drive the car in 40 years time (I'm only a pup see) Things like the sunfoof drains have been replaced and lengthened as the original spec ones finished in the sills which is why they rot. I'm also having Munich legends replace the chain tensioners with e46 parts when the engine is rebuilt as original spec ones fail. I understand what you are saying about keeping things original but cracked dashes only get worse and repair jobs look crap.

No. Unfortunately this car is locked in my ownership now, and as my OCD has been getting worse as I get older, the sight of a cracked dash is messing with my mojo. The car also doesn't have its original tyres, exhaust, clutch, fluids or brakes..... And I've been modifying things so I can still drive the car in 40 years time (I'm only a pup see) Things like the sunfoof drains have been replaced and lengthened as the original spec ones finished in the sills which is why they rot. I'm also having Munich legends replace the chain tensioners with e46 parts when the engine is rebuilt as original spec ones fail. I understand what you are saying about keeping things original but cracked dashes only get worse and repair jobs look crap.

From past experience I have learnt that modifications from original spec on these cars de-values them.

I believe that trenchy24 has an un-cracked e28 dash available.

Not worried about resale values as the car will be not be for sale in my lifetime.

Found an interesting stress crack in the bulkhead by the top of the transmission tunnel. It's not visible from under the bonnet as there is sound deadening in the way, and from inside the car you would probably need to remove the lower dash and carpet to check.

post-62326-0-48228300-1454320165_thumb.j

Fair enough......

Does anyone know if this was ever finished?

Looked like some good work going into it,  could do with the same being done on one of mine!!