mobilejo

Introducing... 'Condensation be-gone' for all F10 headlights!

Okay, so the title is misleading, I haven't come to market with some wonder product to rid your headlights of misting. But I did stick a couple of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390854445699?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=660282886460&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

5g satchets of silica gel stuck to the underside of the headlight bulb hole covers with some heavy duty tape (2x in each side) and after 2 days of heavy rain, I have no misting whatsoever. Prior to this, I was getting misting constantly in weather like this. Not heavy, but it was there and irritating nonetheless. 

I used 2x 5g instead of 1x 10g because the dimensions of the 10g satchet are too big to fit inside the headlight cover. I overlapped the 5g satchets so they are both exposed to some extent but fit in the cover nicely.

I can't even take credit for the idea - I read of someone doing it which gave me the idea. Apparently some manufacturers install large pads of the stuff into headlights from the factory. An inelegant but invisible and cheap solution to an irritating problem.

Edited by mobilejo

Nice one, thanks for the photo. 

I thought maybe you could mount a couple under the top cover also? Is there a top cover, maybe I'm getting mixed up with my E90? I'm near sure there is an cover on the top right enough....

Cheers for your photo mate. 

This is great, my f10 lights were really bad today. I was trying to look at other f10s driving around to see if they had the same problem. None of them seemed to have it.

Could it be as simple as one of the covers isn't screwed tight enough to stop water getting in?

I have actually booked the car back in because I think it's not acceptable for this to happen. I assume I won't get anywhere with BMW.

This is great, my f10 lights were really bad today. I was trying to look at other f10s driving around to see if they had the same problem. None of them seemed to have it.

Could it be as simple as one of the covers isn't screwed tight enough to stop water getting in?

I have actually booked the car back in because I think it's not acceptable for this to happen. I assume I won't get anywhere with BMW.

They will tell you that misting/condensation is acceptable, they will only act if there are water droplets inside the light.

These headlights are vented, so a loose headlight cover won't make much difference as the lights are never 100% air tight by design. In fact, I found that leaving the covers off altogether got rid of all misting however I was not comfortable driving without the covers, hence this solution instead.

If you have just misting which comes and goes with the weather, then save yourself the trip and wasted time going to BMW and just put some silica gel in them like I have done. No misting at all since I've done it and from day 1 of my ownership I have seen misting at least daily in this inclement weather, so the silica certainly does what it says on the tin.

They will tell you that misting/condensation is acceptable, they will only act if there are water droplets inside the light.

These headlights are vented, so a loose headlight cover won't make much difference as the lights are never 100% air tight by design. In fact, I found that leaving the covers off altogether got rid of all misting however I was not comfortable driving without the covers, hence this solution instead.

If you have just misting which comes and goes with the weather, then save yourself the trip and wasted time going to BMW and just put some silica gel in them like I have done. No misting at all since I've done it and from day 1 of my ownership I have seen misting at least daily in this inclement weather, so the silica certainly does what it says on the tin.

Thanks for this. I am about to order some packs now. How often will you change the packs?

Just a warning that this might not be as simple as it sounded.

I too ordered silica which arrived today but getting inside the unit is tougher than expected.

The access hatch (number 2 above) looks like a sealed moulding on mine:

IMG_8555.jpg

Am I missing something obvious here?

The access door inside the wheel arch is no good either. It just exposes a rear cap that is sealed tight with torx screws.

Just a warning that this might not be as simple as it sounded.

I too ordered silica which arrived today but getting inside the unit is tougher than expected.

The access hatch (number 2 above) looks like a sealed moulding on mine:

IMG_8555.jpg

Am I missing something obvious here?

The access door inside the wheel arch is no good either. It just exposes a rear cap that is sealed tight with torx screws.

Wow, wasn't expecting that. Mine just screw in and out - it's a 10 second job. 

Are yours halogen, xenon or LED?

Bi-Xenon on a 2013. How about you guys?

Looking on RealOEM it doesn't show the access hatch like on the pic above.

Yeah I tried until my fingers got sore. I haven't attacked it with any tools yet.

The two bumps on the top are identification marks from the mould so I don't think they are designed to be used to unscrew anything.

:???: ??

I ran without covers on the headlights for years on an x5 and an e60 with no issues whatsoever and zero misting.

Sent from my iPhone

I grabbed a pic of the wheel arch access hatch while I was there.. quickly ruled that option out!

Photo's a bit wonky so i've added a little orientation

IMG_8557%20copy.jpg

I grabbed a pic of the wheel arch access hatch while I was there.. quickly ruled that option out!

Photo's a bit wonky so i've added a little orientation

For some reason it seems BMW want you to NEVER EVER access your headlights from the looks of things. Why is nothing "simple" ever simple?

I did one of mine as a test, still seeing condensation so might add more packs

Bloody hell - have you got a mini stream in there? 2 x 5g silica gel should be able to suck out a fair bit of moisture and still feel dry to the touch. 

Saying that, I left the covers off mine for a few days before I put the gel in, that probably helped get the internal moisture levels right down to begin with.

If you heat up silica gel in the oven it dries out and can be used over and over again. I bought a load of lose granules when I discovered a water leak in the e90, after soaking as much water as possible into towels etc, I put silica gel in socks under the carpet and kept changing and dying the gel for a couple of weeks till all the carpets and underlay were dry, it worked very well.