TomGC

Tom's Garage (E34 535i Sport Restoration)

84 posts in this topic

On 8/23/2017 at 7:45 PM, Bumbaclut said:

Can i ask why you didn't fit the whole joist onto the roof plate and cut them at the bottom? 

You can. I'm working within PD near a boundary, so 2.5m max. overall height. I had a general builder on the project, subbing out to brickies. Long story short, builder was the weak link, misunderstood / ignored the requirement and we ended up with the walls too tall to bring wall plate / joist / fall in within the height limit. Builder blamed the brickies and me, combined with other issues and nastiness, in the end easiest solution was to kick him into touch and take the brickies on myself. Top hung metal web joists avoided redoing top three courses and lintels or compromising door / window size.

Big push for the bank holiday. Beast returns for a day of squashing hardcore (many, many hours of levelling preceded this):

eETKYDV.jpg

KiEzsdf.jpg

C6tGHc5.jpg

Haven't seen on of these in a while:

7LHmG85.jpg

Big pile, small barrow, smaller shovel. Much sunshine, many sweat:

ksERfuQ.jpg

e0zz01q.jpg

PRHGxZP.jpg

l7XenJR.jpg

Better:

weXgYdg.jpg

N2ZiouA.jpg

BcgtqM8.jpg

d_a_n1979, GStarrr and RingsideE34 like this

20 hours ago, TomGC said:

You can. I'm working within PD near a boundary, so 2.5m max. overall height. I had a general builder on the project, subbing out to brickies. Long story short, builder was the weak link, misunderstood / ignored the requirement and we ended up with the walls too tall to bring wall plate / joist / fall in within the height limit. Builder blamed the brickies and me, combined with other issues and nastiness, in the end easiest solution was to kick him into touch and take the brickies on myself. Top hung metal web joists avoided redoing top three courses and lintels or compromising door / window size.

Fair enough, building is enough aggro without adding arseholes into the mix! looks great now

TomGC likes this

On 8/30/2017 at 0:21 AM, Bumbaclut said:

Fair enough, building is enough aggro without adding arseholes into the mix! looks great now

Cheers! In the meantime, less of the building, more of the motors...

Went to town on the boss' F20, which was much overdue for some love after living on a building site for the best part of six months. Much better.

9Soeaco.jpg

5dkRoF2.jpg

sD7rJrF.jpg

TKeuV2O.jpg

d_a_n1979 likes this

Looks superb...

Nice 306 too ;) 

TomGC likes this

Just paint for now Duncan, but will clad the bit we can see from the house with cedar when funds allow. 

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Nice 306 too ;) 

Most entertaining car I've owned. On nearly 200k, been nothing but pain for 4 years and needs a full engine build but can't bring myself to part with it!