Digitran

520D DPF reset?

The dreaded dpf error has been showing up on my car for the last 4000miles and I have read many posts on how to fix it but seem to be getting nowhere!!

It has done 168000 mainly motorway miles.

The error comes up after 10 minutes. If I turn engine off and then on again it comes up again after another 10 minutes, there is no obvious loss of power or change in mpg.

I first tried 2 bottles of Forte this made no difference

Tank is 3/4 full of diesel, temp on hidden menus is 88-90 degrees, there are no glow plug errors

I then resorted to using the INPA s/w to get the error codes. These are 4D4A and 452A which indicates the DPF needs replacing.

I then measured backpressure. Idle is 5mbar, 2000rpm is 18mbar and cut off is 45 mbar. These are all below the max limits of 35,75 & 200. It says 6631 miles since last regen and 0 km life left

i have tried to force the dpf to do a regen but it hasn't done it. Can it be forced once these error codes are present? If I clear them they come back immediately. I have tried resetting whilst driving but that made no difference.

If I replace the DPF how does it know it has been replaced? Is there a setting in INPA where you need to tell it a new one has been fitted? 160,000 miles is a bit over 250000km, does it automatically think it needs changing at that mileage?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I dont really want hassle of remapping etc just prefer to keep it standard

Cheers,

Chris

The codes all have to be cleared,

The engine has to be above 90 degrees, 

You have to be traveling at a steady speed, (60 ish)

The fault codes will continue to come back and you need to keep clearing them, some have had to do it 20 - 30 times before the regen would kick in. 

Out of interest, what does your iDrive say about the DPF (in the Service menu)?

Your backpressures are fine so I don't think they are genuine errors (stop wasting money on DPF cleaners, you don't need them).

Reading the description below, my train of thought is that your "miles to go" on the iDrive has expired so that is the reason for the flag, not an actual sensor reading.

You can reset the Miles to Go using DIS and give it another 120,000 miles.

• Fault 452A appears as the particle filter most of the mileage has exceeded maximum and serves as information / reference for the filter in a BMW expert workshop to be replaced.

• 4D4A Fault appears as despite the request for the replacement filter no measures are taken and the total mileage of the particle filter is exceeded.

Edited by chr15gb

Hi p3tchy,

I have tried resetting 100+ times during a 30 mile motorway run but regen doesn't start. I have read a few posts with people suggesting this but it seems that is when they have error codes 480A and/or 481A. I am wondering if 452A and 4D4A that I get are causing it to lock out. I like your wheels, you are down the road from me, I am in Bedford

Hi chr15gb,

It just reports as an error in iDrive, which goes away after a restart but comes back after 10 mins. I think the earlier pre LCI cars allowed it to be reset via iDrive, but I have a later LCI version which doesn't allow it top be reset. I am not totally sure about this it is only from the many posts I have read. I thought the back pressures looked okay. I couldn't see any way to reset it using INPA and most of the DIS I have is in German which isn't very helpful!

Do you know where abouts it is in DIS?

Thanks for your help guys it is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

The English version of DIS may as well be in German anyway it's that tricky finding your way around.

Sadly I don't have a step by step but it's in the same place as the other service items like oil and brakes.

I'll see if I can find some info to help, I've moved onto Rheingold now, not sure if it is any better than DIS

The codes all have to be cleared,

The engine has to be above 90 degrees,

You have to be traveling at a steady speed, (60 ish)

The fault codes will continue to come back and you need to keep clearing them, some have had to do it 20 - 30 times before the regen would kick in.

FYI, temp can be closer to 80 but will probably rise during regen, can happen at any speed too. Mine was doing one around town today.

Hi All,

Thanks everyone for the help and support.

In the end it appears that the DPF warning comes on automatically every 10 minutes soon after it has done 250,000km even if the backpressure readings are well below max permissible values.

Using DIS this can re reset by telling it the DPF has been replaced and it then reports it has a further 250,000km left! Although it isn't particularly intuitive to find in the weird menu structure

If I had taken the car to BMW I wonder if they would have fleeced me for a new DPF??????

Cheers,

Chris

Alleluha,

I've been trying to do this on and off (mainly off) for a couple of months. Are you able to give a brief run down on where to find the magic item in DIS, every time I get to the nitty gritty either the laptop battery fails (have bought an in car charger now) or something else crops up.

It's an absolute pain in the @rse that owners have to jump through all these hoops to persuade the car to perform a regen. Something as basic and essential to the running of the vehicle should be available easily as a menu item via Idrive.

I'm in the same boat and p'd off!

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by pidgeonpost

pidgeonpost, my car runs perfectly, appears to be regenning and the backpressures are fine. It's just that BMW has decreed a life for the DPF and once that's reached the warning light will come on, even when stationary with the key in!

How many uneducated owners have forked our for a new DPF that didn't need changing. Something not right morally methinks.

Phil - mine is running fine and back pressures are good but diags show DPF blocked. I've only got 51k on the clock too. I think it did a regen after I gave it some Forte to drink though that may have been due to the Forte lowering the temp at which the crud burns off. Need to hook up the laptop when time permits.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk