ozzy2015

Heavy rain, Water leak

On 9/18/2018 at 9:33 PM, 535i Andrew said:

You should be able to get a pair of mole grips onto that bolt head to extract it out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate all of your help. This thread saved me a great deal. 

Has any one had both the rear carpets soaking wet from this? 

I've checked mine again wjhich i do fairly regularly and found both footwells soaked. Previously ive cleaned the yellow gromit and made a path for the water to escape under the bonnet earlier in the thread. The car has just come back form having all four doors repainted though and now both rear footwells are soaked. The fact its both is making me think its the door vapour barriers as the yellow gromit can only leak into the L/H side and the water would have to climb over the tunnel.

Just had a closer look and the water seems to be coming from between the door card and the door itself. I also put the hose on the windscreen and the drain on my gromit is free flowing and deffinately not blocked.

Edited by dandle

In the process of fixing my yellow grommet, I broke my clamp holding the three water hoses. Bought a new one. 

Beware of this clamp. It could be brittle already and in the 6 cylinder cars, there is not much space to move. 

DSC_1926.JPG

Capture52255.JPG

On 6/21/2017 at 9:28 AM, bmwmike said:

This happens on a RHD too. If you look at the inner wing there is a round drain hole with mesh which gets clogged. 

I pour screenwash fluid into that cavity periodically and it keeps it clean.. or seems to!  Also regular picking out of leaves etc. 

Mike,

Do you have any pics of the said cavity?

Thanks

Vishal

Was getting out of the car on saturday, and tried to grab something from the rear footwell - it was wet for some strange reason, thought the kids had spilt some water, until i put my hand down on the mat - absolutely soaking wet!  :mad:

Spent some time with a towel trying to drain some of the water out :( 

Going to try and find a wet vac to try and suck out a load of water......

Thought i had got this sorted a while back when i cleaned out the yellow grommet area and made some cuts on the seal to allow the water to drain out properly.......

I think i need to clear out the passenger side corner in the engine bay, as there is a bit of loose crud/leaves in there - problem is i can't seem to get to it!! :( 

On 22/10/2018 at 07:55, Y15HAL said:

Mike,

Do you have any pics of the said cavity?

Thanks

Vishal

The cavity is the same one under the bonnet hinge. Essentially it drains in multiple places the higher the water the more likely the under arch and round one on the inner wing will be used to allow more water to escape.

The yellow grommit one is less clear as it is underneath the heater box.

On 22/10/2018 at 08:19, Y15HAL said:

Was getting out of the car on saturday, and tried to grab something from the rear footwell - it was wet for some strange reason, thought the kids had spilt some water, until i put my hand down on the mat - absolutely soaking wet!  :mad:

Spent some time with a towel trying to drain some of the water out :( 

Going to try and find a wet vac to try and suck out a load of water......

Thought i had got this sorted a while back when i cleaned out the yellow grommet area and made some cuts on the seal to allow the water to drain out properly.......

I think i need to clear out the passenger side corner in the engine bay, as there is a bit of loose crud/leaves in there - problem is i can't seem to get to it!! :( 

Use your wet vac with a piece of hose taped on to the end of the exit it will allow you to get it in there.

Used for other purposes in detailing circles but an easy way around it.

Just to finally add to my experience. I have noticed mine getting slower on the hinge drains on the 640D. As we have exactly the same issue as underneath we are the same.

Undone the panel partially and pulled it forward and it drained the hinge drains completely. So I can only think it is filled with rubbish that whilst not stopping water is slowing it down, lord knows what condition the yellow grommit is in.

Either way I cracked part of the panel (like another poster it is the left hand side I have cracked) in doing so and it needs replacing. 

For various reasons though it is booked in to have it sorted at my BMW dealer - new panel, new bolts and new grommit (just in case), the workshop manager has done a few F10/11's and sadly for those that posted the G30/31 he confirmed he had recently done one of those as well with a similar issue.

This does lead me to highlight something if this issue is prevalent on the G30 then will this issue apply to all CLAR cars in the G series range (new 3 series through to 7 series, and some of the X range?).

Yes, it does look like the G30/31 is alo affected according to the photo Dakota added earlier on in the thread. The grommet is there, but unsure what goes over it and the drain routes on those cars etc.

Surely BMW would have corrected the issue in the G cars?

15 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

Yes, it does look like the G30/31 is alo affected according to the photo Dakota added earlier on in the thread. The grommet is there, but unsure what goes over it and the drain routes on those cars etc.

Surely BMW would have corrected the issue in the G cars?

Similar setup as the F series from what the tech told me...

^and on the G01 too. I was looking for parts for my dad's X3 and there it is part #3

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=TX32-EUR-08-2018-G01-BMW-X3_20dX&diagId=51_6391

The yellow peril!

Looks like a common method of production across the range of cars and SUVs. I wonder how many will get wet carpets?

Has anyone gone back in to check the build up of debris after a year or so having done it previously?

44 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Has anyone gone back in to check the build up of debris after a year or so having done it previously?

I have double checked mine after wet carpets when BMW repaired the rust on my doors. It was still running freely with a torrent of water running out from the place where I filed the panel down.

The issue with my car and water is now the water barrier on the doors from when they repaired the rust. It's going back next week for three off them to be resealed again.

You are lucky Dave. The only car that is in my garage these days is a Coupe, made by Little Tikes!

It will be interesting to see pics of "one year on" after cleaning out. To see how the debris builds up and if the condition of the grommet is deteriorating.

22 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

^and on the G01 too. I was looking for parts for my dad's X3 and there it is part #3

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=TX32-EUR-08-2018-G01-BMW-X3_20dX&diagId=51_6391

The yellow peril!

Looks like a common method of production across the range of cars and SUVs. I wonder how many will get wet carpets?

I can only imagine therefore that this problem will apply to all CLAR based cars as it is a modular architecture - positively insane!

Essentially this will mean this fault will apply from a 3 series (G20) to a 7 series (G11) and the X range from X3 (G01) to X7 (G07)....

Mine is booked in for the 27th but I did manage to endoscope mine, which has not been opened in any form since production in March 2015.

I do wonder if you could in theory hoover leaves from this area (hose pipe onto hoover end and down to that area).

46043905_10156791359356667_7537742225241800704_n.jpg

The best way to fix this is to use some mastic like silkoflex and put a nice bead around the whole edge of the gromit. If the body and gromit are clean the mastic will seal it water  tight for years. It's a much better option than silicon which will break down over time. You'll never need to worry about what's next to the gromit then as it won't leak anyway.