ozzy2015

Heavy rain, Water leak

Hi, Sorry to hear your bad news.......

If you also have water droplets/puddling on the rear door plastic kickplates, then I'm pretty sure the door is the source of the water.

Get them to replace the Butyl Seal and check/replace the door membrane too as a sensible starting point as this is a pretty common problem area with an F10/F11 of this age.

Peter.

Hi,I had exactly the same problem with my rear passenger footwell getting wet,my car has only done 7000 miles and is only just 2 years old,so luckily it's still under warranty.I took it to my local BMW garage and they found the leak to be coming in from the yellow grommet under the glove box mentioned in the posts above and the water was making its way to the back because my drive has a steep slope and is always parked nose up.The first time that BMW had it they didn't dry the carpet out properly so I took it back and they ended up changing the rear carpet for me(after a lot of complaining on my part)all seems ok now.Im still going to change my car though as I'm not very happy that a car that cost me over £30000 when I bought it a year and a half ago has had water leaking into it,I expected a few electronic problems on it but not that!also I don't want to be left with no warranty on it.Its a shame though because it's the nicest car I've ever owned and I absolutely loved it before this happened.

Hi, terrible for you with a car with very little mileage, seems to be common enough then even though the bmw engineer at my bmw garage said that they had never came across it in my model before.

Yeah this grommet seems to be a good place to look. I know you said that the rear carpets were getting wet but did the front carpets not feel damp too if it was coming from the front or does the underlay stop it coming through there?

7 days on from my fix and so far, so good. Not sure when to declare victory as I don't want to tempt fate.

If this has fixed it then it really was a very easy and straightforward fix which makes it all the more shameful that BMW won't do it. The goodwill generated from those of us who pay up to £1000 a year for a warranty anyway must surely outweigh the 30 minutes of workshop time it would take.

Edited by Mike530i

Hi all, I'm new here. I'm from Eire. Unfortunately I have water in passenger side rear footwell on my F10 2011 model 520d msport. It has only 35,000 miles on & last thing I was expecting was to be looking for source of a water leak in such a fresh bmw.Handed in to my local bmw dealer where I bought it about 15 months ago to investigate it and havering everything in the back end of the car checked it hasn't been found and might mention €300 poorer. Now they say they will have to take out front carpets, seat, glove box etc to see is it coming in at front & travelling back under the underlay beneath the carpet & thus sitting under back footwell. This will be more expense & not guaranteed of an answer. Not happy with this, car with such low mileage & only 4.5 yrs old I contacted bmw customer support at head office & (used same language as John G above in his email to bmw) I was told that I would have to pay for everything & no comeback whatsoever. It was a total waste of time phoneing them . I Said I would pay for whatever was done sofar but could they continue to investigate until leak is found with the further cost squashed & have no problem paying for the actual seal or whatever they find having to be replaced. It's just the manpower i want help with but no all this has fallen on deaf ears. Totally disappointed having drove old cars for years & finally affording a newish one that surly won't have problems with.

Fix it yourself, I almost guarantee it's your rear door membrane and doesn't require any of the stripping that the dealer has suggested it does.

It completely sucks, I agree.

It would suck anyway, the fact it's been a problem for 20 years makes it even more ridiculous.

Thank you for the suggested fix. 

I seem to have exactly the issue described here, I joined up just to see the photos and thank the contributors.  Water in the footwell on the nearside rear.  The door cards look dry as does the side of the carpet. so my money is it being the yellow grommet.

My car is out of warranty and I don't have access to a ramp, would this fix be do-able on a driveway?  the suggested fix say you can get to it from the bonnet with small hands.  Has anyone tried to fix this from the bonnet with success?  if not I think I'll book it into a garage.

Mike, thats an interesting point, it felt like the mat was actually wetter then carpet beneath, so maybe it is the membrane.  Think I'll sit in the car with a hose on it and check.

Our F10 has had exactly the same issue; I'm hoping this might be the cure.  We did find that we had a knackered window seal along the way but I suspect that wasn't the original cause.  I'll report back as to how we get on.

So is the current thinking that door membrane (though our garage claimed this was OK) or this mystery yellow grommet are potential causes for a rear, passenger-side footwell puddle?

Fot the grommet repair what exactly are trying to do here, replace the grommet or reseat it?  A £70 fix does not suggest that much time was needed if that includes the part?  I took the under tray off and put it back last time we thought we had fixed it in order to check the aircon drains (both seemed clear) and it took me almost an hour just taking off and putting back on the cover?  Next time I might resort to using my electric screwdriver as there were so many screws to take out!

Cheers,

David

Hi, bmw dealers had the car for 16 days & found leaves blocking all areas around grommit which had a seal that was disintegrated from stagnant water. Was told front wheels had to be taken off to totally finish job properly as well as all the other investigations they done during the time.

Total cost was €900 & the grommit was only €28 of that so all rest was labour.

Costly few leaves.. Gonna cut that tree down.

Hi All

I've found my leak and it's the same problem Ozzy and many others have found.

I found massive amounts of water in my rear footwell. Many post suggest the problem is the vapour seal on the rear or front door. This didn't really make sense for me as I could find no evidence of water ingress around the doors and the sides were dry.

I also didn't really look beyond the back as the front appeared to be dry. However, today I decided to strip down the interior of the passenger side of my car and found it was damp under the carpet in the front. Of course, I found the leak behind the glove box.

It's easy to make the mistake of not checking here due to the wetness manifesting in the rear footwell.

I thought you may be interested in my video showing the water coming in. Now I've got to Try and fix it.

Pretty poor for a car just over three years old.

trim.054C11DF-CFDC-4F8E-B62E-AB70A6DB530E.MOV

Edited by Neil Brookes

I had a go at this yesterday, removed the under tray and got the plate off that has the yellow grommet behind.  

What I found was a drain hole behind the plate and in front of the grommet that was clogged up with what I think were rotten leaves.  which I believe was allowing the water to build up and come through the grommet.  I cleared that out, poured water through it so know that it's clear.  I'm hoping that fixed it.  WHat I'm not 100% sure about it how it got down there in the first place.  My car is 5 years old, so hopefully it will be sorted for another 5.  

Will keep you posted.

I found this on the net:

'22-3-2014: Badly fitted blanking plate for LHD steering column in 2012 5 Series Touring led to a water leak into the left side footwells.'

If this is true this is even more ridiculous than the door membrane problem, at least that can be fixed easily without a 900 euro bill! Surely this one should be warrantied as they can't pass it off as a door seal?

Hi All

What is the actual cause of the problem which allows water to ingress at the grommet on the bulk head?

How does accessing it as Ozzie describes solve the problem? Is there a blockage or am I supposed to change the grommet or something?

Thanks

Thanks. I missed your post. Maybe I should go and buy myself some ramps and have a go. I've booked the car in at BMW on Wednesday otherwise but cheaper if I can do it myself!

I presume the grommet shouldn't be sealed in any way?

I had my car on ramps, I used a drill  with a 8mm socket to remove the under tray and it was off in minutes,  although taking that plate off was a bit of a pain they are T25 torq screws.  The bottom 2 came out quite easy, the top two were tricky.  Not sure if the grommet should be sealed.  Like Ozzy's picture my grommet had tide marks from dirty water, which was a sure sign water was sitting against it.  

I currently have dehumidifier in the car trying to dry out the carpet.

I have to say I find it incredible that so called premium cars that at most are only 5 or so years old are affected by a problem such as this. Surely BMW can design a car that doesn't let water in? Plus it's one of those problems where finding the source can be an issue and hats off to the guys on here who have done the digging around. I may be wrong but wasn't the e46/e39 also prone to water ingress due to door membrane problems? Come on BMW sort it out!

Hi all

I have had a few private emails in regards to the yellow grommet.

I have left the original grommet in place but have sealed it with epoxy from the out side. This can be done by removing the engine cover and the cover in front of the grommet, i am assuming the purpose of the grommet was to keep water out as long as it had some where to flow. 

so far so good no more leaks and carpet seems to have dried out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milliput-Epoxy-Resin-Putty-Standard-Terracotta-Grey-Black-Superfine-White-/160899355188?var=&hash=item2576595234:m:mM8dbsI2lhVof1_JbLnR9Dg