ozzy2015

Heavy rain, Water leak

9 hours ago, bmwmike said:

I run neat screenwash through the vents every now and then. Be interesting to see how clean my grommet is lol

Thats a good shout.

I've still got loads of non BMW screenwash to use up. That might be a better use for it. That and plenty of hot water, perhaps?

Or just take the panel off every year........

I'm a couple of weeks into F10 ownership (2014 518d) and thought I had done my homework!

Now I discover the N47 timing chain was never properly sorted, corrosion is an issue on the doors (I have this problem) and now water ingress and a major design flaw.  Hard not to be a bit disappointed as I am really enjoying the car.  But thanks to everyone for flagging this issue, I will have a go at it over the weekend, then one less thing to worry about.  Will let you know how it goes.

Put into perspective the timing chain is the big one, make sure it's been sorted, the paint is no big issue (imo) and the water is an easy fix. The F10 is a superb car and you will enjoy ownership I'm sure. 

Tackled this today, went ok. Removal was fine, some of the bolts were very stiff. A few leaves fell out but no high water mark and pretty clean. Sealed around the grommit, the exit hole into the wing was clear and I could push my finger through easily. Dremmeld the plastic cover and removed section of the seal.

Now the part I was dreading having read some of the posts here! Sure enough, it took a good while to get the panel to engage, one hand pulling up, the other pushing in, eventually it clicked in. I couldn't get the hidden bolt to engage it's thread and couldn't see anything, so I left it out. All the others went in smooth bar the lower one that was so stuff I was going to round the torx. It wasn't cross threaded. It has engaged tightly but us about 5mm from tight. Still the panel is firmly in place and isn't going anywhere. 

Good to know it's done and clean, huge thanks to everyone for their tips. What a great resource this forum is.  I had water ingress on a previous car and never want to go through that again.

IMG_20180616_124738.jpg

IMG_20180616_123410.jpg

IMG_20180616_124226.jpg

IMG_20180616_123349.jpg

water.jpg

Edited by Dakota

To get the "hidden" bolt on my dad's F10 after three attempts taking the panel of and back on, I finally got it in place by pulling the chassis leg side of the panel out towards the front of the car. I used a small screwdriver to help line up the bolt hole in the plate with the bolt hole in the wing.

There is a lip on the rubber grommet/seal around the heater hoses that the panel has to feed up into. I think I disturbed this rubber part more on my dad's than on mine.

Mine went in with no bother.

Just did mine as a preventative job as I've not had the flooding. Not too bad a job on an n53 engine car. About an hour end to end, getting the thing back on is a bit of a fiddle.

Had the tide mark and loads of crud, surprising as mine is rarely out of the garage. 

Definitely a design flaw. The exit drain is tiny AND (as already said) blocked by the seal. I cut the seal, smoothed it all out by cutting the grooves, and also cut two additional drain holes. When it was all back together I poured 5 litres of water into the top drain (entry) which is approx 25sqcm. I had water spraying out of my new top hole so that cavity had filled up.

Definitely recommend drilling extra holes.

20180701_103856.thumb.jpg.f6183bef301b05d86fbd99f9d3e61794.jpg20180701_103856.thumb.jpg.f6183bef301b05d86fbd99f9d3e61794.jpg20180701_110012.thumb.jpg.bc64d1e363a648f00358568dc050a546.jpg20180701_110809.thumb.jpg.e6df46dc947a4cbaf188f8d60dc9008d.jpg20180701_112809.thumb.jpg.cc2dc5a1d83f713bb749ee1742868a35.jpg

20180701_105649.jpg

Edited by bmwmike

7 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

Another interesting case where this is a considerable tide mark but no internal flooding. It does beg the question, why some and not others?

I was thinking about that.  Could be that my car flooded in the past. I bought it at 3 years old and its been garaged whilst ive had it but who knows what happened with prior owner. No internal evidence of leaking mind.

11 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

Another interesting case where this is a considerable tide mark but no internal flooding. It does beg the question, why some and not others?

I think they will all stay water tight for some time. As the crud sits there it probably starts to rot out the seal. On top of that if you have water around there and it freezes that would cause seal failure.

I had hardly a tide mark at all but about 7 litres of water inside the car! It happened to me a few months back when there was heavy snow, I’m guessing that the snow/ice/ made its way to the compartment in question but as it was so cold it didn’t drain away but pushed up against the grommet and as it slowly thawed it made its way into the cabin via the grommet. ? 

Hello... 

My car is a F10 LCI from 2016 and it comes from france , i dont have any water coming in my car but i have bin reading this over all the 19 pages. Mine is a diesel and i cant find this panel in my car , i took out the engine cover and i cant see anything there. The inside of my engine bay is coverd by a alluminum panel all around the engine.

So i dont understand this , is ther a construction difference in the LCI left hand drive cars and they dont have this yellow grommet anymore ?

Thank you.

10 hours ago, Twointje said:

Hello... 

My car is a F10 LCI from 2016 and it comes from france , i dont have any water coming in my car but i have bin reading this over all the 19 pages. Mine is a diesel and i cant find this panel in my car , i took out the engine cover and i cant see anything there. The inside of my engine bay is coverd by a alluminum panel all around the engine.

So i dont understand this , is ther a construction difference in the LCI left hand drive cars and they dont have this yellow grommet anymore ?

Thank you.

This only affects right hand drive cars.

Yes, although interestingly, what covers the hole where the steering column would have been for the right hand drive Matthew on a left hand drive car?

I wonder if there will ever be a "steer by wire" option fitted? I bet it must be on some cars somewhere? Or am I being daft again lol

Edited by nashdm2

1 hour ago, nashdm2 said:

Yes, although interestingly, what covers the hole where the steering column would have been for the right hand drive Matthew on a left hand drive car?

Hi Dave, from what i can tell, the pressing has no hole on the other side to begin with. Not sure how the hole appears for our RHD cars though.

Not good enough for Honest John apparently though. Lost a lot of respect for him/that site as a result as they happily publish details of individual issues but apparently not ones that dozens of owners have experienced - how many other similar issues dont get reported on!? <_<

On 7/22/2018 at 10:40 AM, Matthew Ashton said:

This only affects right hand drive cars.

Okay thank you , now i dont have to worry anymore why i coudend find the yellow grommet.

Best regards.

Edited by Twointje

On 3/5/2018 at 9:19 PM, bmwmike said:

Screenshot from 2018-03-05 21-16-23.png

See pic above circular opening is clearly there on the bulkhead @Twointje your left hooker steering column nicely fills the opening so not an issue where us Brits have to make do with the dreaded yellow grommet to fill the hole.

@SuperDave, what did HJ say then? Did I miss a response on here where his comment were made? Just curious. Cheers.