ozzy2015

Heavy rain, Water leak

9 hours ago, bmwmike said:

I run neat screenwash through the vents every now and then. Be interesting to see how clean my grommet is lol

Thats a good shout.

I've still got loads of non BMW screenwash to use up. That might be a better use for it. That and plenty of hot water, perhaps?

Or just take the panel off every year........

I'm a couple of weeks into F10 ownership (2014 518d) and thought I had done my homework!

Now I discover the N47 timing chain was never properly sorted, corrosion is an issue on the doors (I have this problem) and now water ingress and a major design flaw.  Hard not to be a bit disappointed as I am really enjoying the car.  But thanks to everyone for flagging this issue, I will have a go at it over the weekend, then one less thing to worry about.  Will let you know how it goes.

Put into perspective the timing chain is the big one, make sure it's been sorted, the paint is no big issue (imo) and the water is an easy fix. The F10 is a superb car and you will enjoy ownership I'm sure. 

Tackled this today, went ok. Removal was fine, some of the bolts were very stiff. A few leaves fell out but no high water mark and pretty clean. Sealed around the grommit, the exit hole into the wing was clear and I could push my finger through easily. Dremmeld the plastic cover and removed section of the seal.

Now the part I was dreading having read some of the posts here! Sure enough, it took a good while to get the panel to engage, one hand pulling up, the other pushing in, eventually it clicked in. I couldn't get the hidden bolt to engage it's thread and couldn't see anything, so I left it out. All the others went in smooth bar the lower one that was so stuff I was going to round the torx. It wasn't cross threaded. It has engaged tightly but us about 5mm from tight. Still the panel is firmly in place and isn't going anywhere. 

Good to know it's done and clean, huge thanks to everyone for their tips. What a great resource this forum is.  I had water ingress on a previous car and never want to go through that again.

IMG_20180616_124738.jpg

IMG_20180616_123410.jpg

IMG_20180616_124226.jpg

IMG_20180616_123349.jpg

Edited by Dakota

To get the "hidden" bolt on my dad's F10 after three attempts taking the panel of and back on, I finally got it in place by pulling the chassis leg side of the panel out towards the front of the car. I used a small screwdriver to help line up the bolt hole in the plate with the bolt hole in the wing.

There is a lip on the rubber grommet/seal around the heater hoses that the panel has to feed up into. I think I disturbed this rubber part more on my dad's than on mine.

Mine went in with no bother.