Jump to content
ozzy2015

Heavy rain, Water leak

Recommended Posts

Here’s another top tip to get that water out of your carpets.

 

purchase 1kg of value rice from the supermarket.

find an old sock and fill the sock with the rice, tie the end of the sock and then place in the footwell.

 

the rice will draw water to itself. 

 

I found this really worked when I was trying to get the last of the water up. Removed any steaming up in the car also in the warmer weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bigshout said:

Here’s another top tip to get that water out of your carpets.

 

purchase 1kg of value rice from the supermarket.

find an old sock and fill the sock with the rice, tie the end of the sock and then place in the footwell.

 

the rice will draw water to itself. 

 

I found this really worked when I was trying to get the last of the water up. Removed any steaming up in the car also in the warmer weather.

Good shout bigshout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 3:34 PM, Neil Brookes said:

Hi All

I've found my leak and it's the same problem Ozzy and many others have found.

I found massive amounts of water in my rear footwell. Many post suggest the problem is the vapour seal on the rear or front door. This didn't really make sense for me as I could find no evidence of water ingress around the doors and the sides were dry.

I also didn't really look beyond the back as the front appeared to be dry. However, today I decided to strip down the interior of the passenger side of my car and found it was damp under the carpet in the front. Of course, I found the leak behind the glove box.

It's easy to make the mistake of not checking here due to the wetness manifesting in the rear footwell.

I thought you may be interested in my video showing the water coming in. Now I've got to Try and fix it.

Pretty poor for a car just over three years old.

trim.054C11DF-CFDC-4F8E-B62E-AB70A6DB530E.MOV

 

Well,,,, After almost 6 weeks of owning my latest 530 GT I have discovered the same problem, rear passenger carpet was soaked, I removed all the plastic trim from the front right of the engine bay and cleared a bucket load of crap and leaves, stuck the hoover in there and sucked up even more shit, I need to find time now to remove the glove box and see what going on, and try to replace the grommet and unblock the drain pipe... This whole thread has helped lots and going to look at Neil's video later when I get home... Pretty Crap for such a good brand, BUT I have never experienced this issue with any of my other recent BMW,s like the my last GT, the F11 or the e93 so its a first......     If I cant sort it then its going to a garage as I have a warranty with the car and it should be covered.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GT STEVE said:

 

Well,,,, After almost 6 weeks of owning my latest 530 GT I have discovered the same problem, rear passenger carpet was soaked, I removed all the plastic trim from the front right of the engine bay and cleared a bucket load of crap and leaves, stuck the hoover in there and sucked up even more shit, I need to find time now to remove the glove box and see what going on, and try to replace the grommet and unblock the drain pipe... This whole thread has helped lots and going to look at Neil's video later when I get home... Pretty Crap for such a good brand, BUT I have never experienced this issue with any of my other recent BMW,s like the my last GT, the F11 or the e93 so its a first......     If I cant sort it then its going to a garage as I have a warranty with the car and it should be covered.

 

 

You have sorted it by clearing the crud from behind the cover in the engine bay. There is no actual need once this has been done to get behind the glovebox to access the grommet. SO lang as the area you've cleared is kept clear of crud (so removal every 6 months or so) you'll be fine. If this is a second hand car, maybe the previous owner had the car parked outside and trees dumped leaves on the car. My F11 is garaged so when I took my cover off there was no water mark and very little in the way of crud but there was some - and mine hadn't leaked.

 

Now, open the bonnet, stand at the nearside wing looking down between engine and inside wheel arch and pour water on the windscreen. You should see that water enter the grill at the top and eject on top of the engine undershield/cover. If that is the case then all is well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everybody for the help I'm new to the forum and all the replies,and all  of post and Quote where really helpful. I will attach some video and pictures to help, water leak rear passenger footwell F10, my water leak problem was coming from this yellow grommet under the glove box, there was a lot of dry leaves the blocking up the hole for the water to escape, there are two ways you can get at it, 1) is through the engine compartment you have to have small hands, 2) underneath the car taking out the centre panel it's a longer process but an easier way to get at it.

20180509_165315.jpg

20180509_181249.jpg

20180508_073954.jpg

20180508_074002.jpg

20180507_124953.jpg

20180509_192542.jpg

20180504_151647.jpg

20180504_150012.jpg

20180507_130514.mp4

20180507_130741.jpg

Edited by Goody2238

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goody2238, thanks for sharing the part code, I'm still getting water in the footwell after all the remediation works suggested here. It only occurs when driving in heavy rain. I want to replace just to be sure. How do you get the blanking plate out from engine bay side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 torx sockets

 

1 hour ago, bigshout said:

Goody2238, thanks for sharing the part code, I'm still getting water in the footwell after all the remediation works suggested here. It only occurs when driving in heavy rain. I want to replace just to be sure. How do you get the blanking plate out from engine bay side?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bigshout said:

Goody2238, thanks for sharing the part code, I'm still getting water in the footwell after all the remediation works suggested here. It only occurs when driving in heavy rain. I want to replace just to be sure. How do you get the blanking plate out from engine bay side?

 

Why not just seal the yellow grommet that's already in place via the acoustic cover in the engine bay using some automotive silicone? As I understand it the grommet pops off to the interior of the car so you need to get up behind the glovebox to access the backside of the grommet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×