ozzy2015

Heavy rain, Water leak

8 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Ahh ok my apologies, thought i'd stumbled onto something useful there.. :D

Mike ya dafty it is useful as it shows the problem very clearly without things like the engine blocking the view.

Thanks from r all the info everyone, I’ve got extended comprehensive warranty on my 7 series but BMW wouldn’t touch this under warranty which I find appalling as it’s a known fault! Anyway with a few quid spend on a small ratchet set and some torx sockets I cleaned the area and put everything back together again, and now I’m about to lift the carpets up and get rid of any water still lurking in the channels beneath the carpets! Could t really access the cover and grommet from above as too many things in the way so had to tackle it from beneath. 

DB8A3BB1-52F8-4912-9B68-D7AA17B78786.jpeg

EAFD50EF-396B-4CB3-980C-9FDA6FA1462D.jpeg

Hi,

Brand new to the forum but discovered this today on my 2010 F11 MSport (530D), not yet done 47k. 

Rear nearside carpet damp and front under the lowest front edge ( before it ramps up under the dash), so I’m guessing I have the bulkhead grommet seal issue. 

Noticed the windscreen and sunroof holding condensation for a few weeks, but nothing shocking until this week when it started building up when not using the car. 

Baby seat nearside rear and front nearside rarely used, and my son hasn’t cleaned interior for ages! Workmate noticed the lower end of the seat belt was damp when he wound it out! Crazy, but that could be just condensation running down and pooling at the bottom of the belt, I hope. 

Wonder if a BMW warranty would cover this...

23 minutes ago, Blakusdad said:

Hi,

Brand new to the forum but discovered this today on my 2010 F11 MSport (530D), not yet done 47k. 

Rear nearside carpet damp and front under the lowest front edge ( before it ramps up under the dash), so I’m guessing I have the bulkhead grommet seal issue. 

Noticed the windscreen and sunroof holding condensation for a few weeks, but nothing shocking until this week when it started building up when not using the car. 

Baby seat nearside rear and front nearside rarely used, and my son hasn’t cleaned interior for ages! Workmate noticed the lower end of the seat belt was damp when he wound it out! Crazy, but that could be just condensation running down and pooling at the bottom of the belt, I hope. 

Wonder if a BMW warranty would cover this...

BMW will probably want to charge you to diagnose. It is an easy fix though, just clean the crud out that has collected in the plenum formed between the engine compartment accessible cover and the grommet and you'll be good to go after drying out the car.

19 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

BMW will probably want to charge you to diagnose. It is an easy fix though, just clean the crud out that has collected in the plenum formed between the engine compartment accessible cover and the grommet and you'll be good to go after drying out the car.

Took the day off and tackled this today. 

Went in from the top  - just about enough knuckle-scraping room.

I didn't have a very high tide mark and it seemed pretty dry, considering the rain we've had, but could put that down to the engine drying it out quick and the assumption that all the water was going straight into the cabin, via the bottom of the useless grommet - thus not building up enough moisture for a higher tide mark.

After a thorough clean with some bike degreaser and  alcohol I decided to put a couple of 8mm holes in the bottom of the cover - from behind so as not to damage the fabric outer - to help drain if the proper drain gets blocked again. I also ran silicone around the edge of the grommet before refitting, filling the gap in the useless seal and getting a good gob of it into each of the fixing lugs - then refit it while tacky. Checking from the inside of the footwell, silicone had filled the gaps without making a mess, so pretty tidy, really.

Now I wait for the carpets to dry, see how I've done. Got a half-dozen passive dehumidifiers on-route so will bung these in when they arrive and see how much moisture they draw. I wrung out about a liter from the carpets, I reckon. Nasty.

Didn’t want to litter the thread with more pics, nothing more to show over what’s already been posted. 

I poured several buckets of water down the windscreen today and couldn’t get it to leak.... 

Fingers crossed and many thanks for the advice. 

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all on this thread, I have a 730d F01 and found my windows steaming up when parked in the sun, I also noticed the sound of water sloshing around the car, checked the rear passenger carpet and it was completely soaked.  Did an online search and came across this thread.

I thought I would tackle the task this last Sunday, now I am completely useless at mechanics and would never have dreamed of doing the fix myself if it was not for the clear instructions on this thread.  I managed to get in from the top after removing the big plastic cover on the engine, when I removed the cover there was lots of foliage at the bottom of the compartment, the grommet was black not yellow until I gave it a good clean.  I put everything back together, two of the screws were a bit tight so I thought I would put some WD40 on them before inserting them, on the last screw, just as I was about to tighten it with my hand it slipped and fell onto the pan cover at the bottom NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought.  This sort of thing always happens to me.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I managed to use a magnet to pick up the screw and fitted it back, have tried to soak up as much water as possible without ripping up the carpets, the car is currently in my garage with the windows down which should help it dry out.  I will see if this has sorted out the issue.

Once again, a BIG thank you to you all!! 

29 minutes ago, afhussain said:

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all on this thread, I have a 730d F01 and found my windows steaming up when parked in the sun, I also noticed the sound of water sloshing around the car, checked the rear passenger carpet and it was completely soaked.  Did an online search and came across this thread.

I thought I would tackle the task this last Sunday, now I am completely useless at mechanics and would never have dreamed of doing the fix myself if it was not for the clear instructions on this thread.  I managed to get in from the top after removing the big plastic cover on the engine, when I removed the cover there was lots of foliage at the bottom of the compartment, the grommet was black not yellow until I gave it a good clean.  I put everything back together, two of the screws were a bit tight so I thought I would put some WD40 on them before inserting them, on the last screw, just as I was about to tighten it with my hand it slipped and fell onto the pan cover at the bottom NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought.  This sort of thing always happens to me.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I managed to use a magnet to pick up the screw and fitted it back, have tried to soak up as much water as possible without ripping up the carpets, the car is currently in my garage with the windows down which should help it dry out.  I will see if this has sorted out the issue.

Once again, a BIG thank you to you all!! 

You are most welcome and glad you found benefit from the work done here by others.

12 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

Guys, we like to see pictures of the grommet in your cars please to compare how bad they are?

That's fair enough! Here's my before and after shots (after shot is a still, hence 'play' icon).

The silicone you can see is what was forced out when reinstalled - hopefully an indication of a good seal!

IMG_2355.jpg.469175d2678fc9ba7f7fff525a3bbde1.jpg

IMG-2428.thumb.JPG.b4679c5ccda2a8cbb1e33ff830e45096.JPG

4 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

It is interesting that some of these pictures show a small rubber tube in the corner and others dont!!!

There was some debate about this plastic pipe some time ago when people saw my picture with it. Seems to have been on the late 2010 cars only. The assumption is that it is attached to the bottom of the blower housing but I'm not taking mine out again to check :-)

9 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I'm not taking mine out again to check :-)

And here we all are thinking what a nice helpful chap Matthew is. ;)

Who else on here has taken the yellow grommet out to check it? I like what @Blakusdad has done with the sealant but obviously needs to take the grommet out to do this. 

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

And here we all are thinking what a nice helpful chap Matthew is. ;)

Who else on here has taken the yellow grommet out to check it? I like what @Blakusdad has done with the sealant but obviously needs to take the grommet out to do this. 

Siliconing the grommet is a good secondary measure to prevent water ingress but the plenum needs to be kept clear of crud build up and if done the yellow grommet won't be exposed to a build up of water hence preventing the water leak in the first place.

Taking the grommet out isn't a big deal (clips on the inside need a-pressin'), but it's pretty straight forward. To be honest, getting the interior trim back in was the biggest ballache - the B-pillar covers especially (damp had crept up some foam insulation on this and dampened the seatbelt, so had to check there was no ingress into the seatbelt housing, or corrosion).

Also the panel under the glove box is a real pain in the arse.

I recommend getting  a set of the interior panel clips for this job before you start - always worth having them around. 

Without all the exploratory work I carried out (interior trim off, underside trays off, etc etc) should be an hours work. That said, if you're getting this problem, you're gonna want to take the carpets up to get as much water out of the foam and footwells as possible. I picked up a handful of passive dehumidifiers to sit in the foot well for a few weeks, too.

Don't suppose you took a picture from within the footwell showing the reverse of the grommet?

Just curious to see what it looks like from t'other side.

18 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Don't suppose you took a picture from within the footwell showing the reverse of the grommet?

Just curious to see what it looks like from t'other side.

Unfortunately, no. But it's got three sprung clips (indicated by the markings on the front face). Just pops out. It's quite a way up behind the glove box, but accessible.

Same issue with my 3 week old 63 F11 with 73k on the clock, not best pleased as I missed this known issue before purchasing privately. No comeback with a private purchase.

Clean up done behind the engine panel, most of the water is out of the cabin and carpets drying, slowly. 

Just finished mastic application per one of the early posts so now I hope much better. 

Once the water has all gone from inside the car I shall be parking car boot first in the drive to avoid being nose up as is currently the case.

Loads of info in this post has helped and, I hope, saved a small fortune at the stealers.

Like somebody else I was unable to reattach the hidden top screw and so it shall remain in the glove box.

A picture of my messy attempt is below.

IMG_20180413_145422417.jpg

11 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I could just do an egg sarnie. 

That was what my seven year old said when he saw Dad's handywork

Edited by Sylvester