ozzy2015

Heavy rain, Water leak

On 15/11/2017 at 1:06 AM, AwsomeBmw said:
On 24/11/2017 at 4:10 PM, Adz46 said:

This is my first post on here.

Thanks to all the contributors, I did the job today. I picked up my 2012 520d ED

last Sunday. I had a choice of 2 very similar cars at the dealers, until I noticed the other one had about an inch of water in the rear passenger side footwell (and this one had the widescreen pro nav and Xenons)

During this week I noticed mine had got damp after the heavy rain.I had the day off, so tackled the job today (less than a week after picking the car up).

As I took the cover off, water came gushing out and the drain was obviously blocked up. Also, someone had been here before, as the cover was cracked and only had 3 of the 4 bolts fitted.

Anyway, I got it cleaned up and this time made some drain holes in the cover.

i did the job from the top and it probably took around 90 minutes, most of that was trying to fit it back on.

I've got bruised arms now.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

I suppose I'd better go and introduce myself now.

Cheers, Adz

IMG_0117.JPG

No need to remove the engine cover you can work from the top quite easily, don't attempt to remove the panel

without being sure you have removed 4 off torx screws there is one hidden on the passenger wing side, quite difficult to view it from top but feel around and you will identify it.

this is my panel in place showing where I drilled it to allow better drainage

20171112_162105.jpg

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I'm supposed to find the yellow grommet as I look at the engine bay? 3.0 Diesel engine if that matters??

thanks all, need to sort this soon, very pissed off.....

11 minutes ago, Greenninja said:

Can anyone point me in the direction of where I'm supposed to find the yellow grommet as I look at the engine bay? 3.0 Diesel engine if that matters??

thanks all, need to sort this soon, very pissed off.....

Dave, everything you need is in this thread. I took a look at mine and documented it on page 8: 

Just now, Matthew Ashton said:

Dave, everything you need is in this thread. I took a look at mine and documented it on page 8: 

Thanks fella, 

finally had a chance to browse this thread a bit more and seems like I need to be looking at this grommet so going to do some looking tomorrow.. I'll have a read of your thread and message you if I've got any other questions.. thanks again and hope you and the family had a nice xmas and new year

37 minutes ago, Greenninja said:

Thanks fella, 

finally had a chance to browse this thread a bit more and seems like I need to be looking at this grommet so going to do some looking tomorrow.. I'll have a read of your thread and message you if I've got any other questions.. thanks again and hope you and the family had a nice xmas and new year

No problem and good luck. If you don't still have my phone number just PM me and I'll get back to you. Back to work tomorrow after a week and a half off and a nice time it was thanks. 

Hi all,

I had a go at investigating the leak and found my rear door vapour barrier had come away in the bottom left hand corner. I used a heat gun to tack up the butyl tape and then added some silicone sealant above it for added insurance. Didn't want to test it straight away as I want the sealants to set. But any issues I know where to look in the future. Hope this helps you. Total time take was approx 1 hour for both doors. Probably quicker if using ur used to taking the door cards off. 

Good luck 

Hey All, 

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all of the content on this thread.  I to had a soaking rear footwell and no idea what was going on.  A couple of reads through this thread and I tackled the job at the weekend.  Less than an hour later I had everything back together.  I am pleased to say that despite rain this week the carpet is almost completely dry and not showing any signs  water ingress.  I removed the round velrco holders from the carpet, as the worst of the water pools here (thanks to someone else on this forum for that tip) and used a wet and dry vac each day to remove water.  Also did a couple of long runs with air con on full to assist.  

I am astonished at the design flaw here and cannot believe that BMW are ignoring it.

some pics of my personal mess below.  

Finally thanks again to all of the contributors for this - saved me a fortune I reckon!

IMG_4060.jpeg

IMG_4063.jpeg

IMG_4061.jpeg

5 hours ago, KFMB said:

Hey All, 

Just wanted to say a big thank you for all of the content on this thread.  I to had a soaking rear footwell and no idea what was going on.  A couple of reads through this thread and I tackled the job at the weekend.  Less than an hour later I had everything back together.  I am pleased to say that despite rain this week the carpet is almost completely dry and not showing any signs  water ingress.  I removed the round velrco holders from the carpet, as the worst of the water pools here (thanks to someone else on this forum for that tip) and used a wet and dry vac each day to remove water.  Also did a couple of long runs with air con on full to assist.  

I am astonished at the design flaw here and cannot believe that BMW are ignoring it.

some pics of my personal mess below.  

Finally thanks again to all of the contributors for this - saved me a fortune I reckon!

You are most welcome and yours must be the worst build up and high watermark that I've seen. 

This is the reason I, and many others, spend time contributing to the forum. To see others benefit, in this case, in a very obvious way is very gratifying.

Thanks for showing us the before and after pics. Definitely a major design flaw by BMW. I bet the majority of cars that spend their lives parked outside suffer from the same issue. In the future rust could become a problem if the water finds the slightest flaw in the corrosion protection in the rear footwell.  

There is a guy reporting the same symptoms on the G30/G31 area. I have directed him to this thread, but, surely BMW would have sorted it for the new model? If anybody has one, take a look in the engine bay and see if the cover is there please?

hello all, is there anyone who has fixed this problem themselves who lives close to Birmingham, UK who can give me a hand to fix mine? Not too confident at getting the job done, but rear passenger footwell is soaking. Causes the additional problem of the car fogging up in the due to the excess water within the cabin.

Cheers,

John

Hi John, understand your nervousness on this, I was the same without doubt. But, read through this thread twice. Gather everything you need to do it and have a go. The four screws will be really tight at first. Even with all four screws out the cover will be tight, but will pull off. Only pull the plastic not the felt like blanket over it.

With the cover off, take a good look around, clean, alter the cover and then refit. You will scratch the back of your hands, and it will annoy you, so, take care. The most important thing is lining the cover up with the rubber slots on the top. You will see exactly what I mean when you come to refit. If it's not right, it wont screw back on right and will feel wrong when you run your fingers over the top of the cover at the top of the car where the two pipes enter the car.

Seriously, I did think twice about doing it myself, but, hugely satisfying when you have done it!!!!

Regards, Dave

2 hours ago, JWTOMBS said:

hello all, is there anyone who has fixed this problem themselves who lives close to Birmingham, UK who can give me a hand to fix mine? Not too confident at getting the job done, but rear passenger footwell is soaking. Causes the additional problem of the car fogging up in the due to the excess water within the cabin.

Cheers,

John

I fixed my soaking rear footwells the other week. Was quite easy  take the inner door car off. The vapour barrier will have come away slightly. Use a heat gun and some silicone sealant for good measure to stick it back down. Sorted. I had exactly the same issue!! Good luck. 

1 hour ago, BB525d said:

I fixed my soaking rear footwells the other week. Was quite easy  take the inner door car off. The vapour barrier will have come away slightly. Use a heat gun and some silicone sealant for good measure to stick it back down. Sorted. I had exactly the same issue!! Good luck. 

I still can't see how the vapour barrier coming away allows water into the F10/F11 as the door card has a molded flange that seals against the inner door weather seal so a leaking vapour barrier is going to leak outside of the cabin. If you could share pics of how that water was getting in it would be helpful. The major cause of water in the rear footwell is via the yellow grommet in the firewall and a leave/crud build up between an acoustic cover and the grommet in the engine bay.  

I didn't believe it either. But if you try what have you got to lose? 

Think of it like the way water runs down the glass. Water is running down the inside of the vapour barrier and if it's not completely sealed at the bottom it runs into your door card and onto the footwell. 

Im only trying to give you an idea of what fixed my leak. If you don't think it'll work for you, then fine. Do it your way. 

Yet im the one with dry footwells at the moment. 

59 minutes ago, BB525d said:

I didn't believe it either. But if you try what have you got to lose? 

Think of it like the way water runs down the glass. Water is running down the inside of the vapour barrier and if it's not completely sealed at the bottom it runs into your door card and onto the footwell. 

Im only trying to give you an idea of what fixed my leak. If you don't think it'll work for you, then fine. Do it your way. 

Yet im the one with dry footwells at the moment. 

I don't have wet footwells and never have but I have a car that is garaged most of its life and then I am inquisitive and trying to gather information to help others on the forum. There is empirical evidence that the yellow grommet leaks under certain circumstances (you can see the water trickling into the cabin) and I am trying to get that same evidence for the vapour barrier. 

What I am trying to ascertain is how the vapour barrier leaking is allowing water into the car. I fully understand water trickling down a window but that doesn't actually answer the question.  The door card is plastic at the bottom which won't allow water through (obvious) it also has a molded flange that sits against the door seal on the frame of the car which is after the vapour barrier but before the door frame seal. I just want to know how the water gets into the car, and as someone who has fixed wet footwells by fixing a vapour barrier, my question was, whether you have pictures showing the waterway into the car.

My wife's F45 did leak via a failed vapour barrier and it was very obvious. You could see the water trickling into the car just by hosing down the window on that door. But the door card on the F45 does not have the same molded flange. As can be seen in one of my earlier posts where I compare the F11 and F45 door cards side by side.

OK, now ive still not had chance to fully investigate my issue yet, but with the consistent rain we have been having and my car having not moved for 4 days im convinced there is a way for the water to leak into the car if the vapour barrier fails.

Every time i open my rear passenger side door I get a shower of water running out of the door card, and my carpet is only slightly wet right around the area near the door.. other side of the carpet near the tunnel for the driveshaft is dry.. makes me suspicious thats where my issue is coming from.

Now i know the design of the door etc etc isnt supposed to let water in, but its water, so will find a way in whatever happens... 

Im hopeful I will get time to have the door card off Saturday and take a look, is there anything to watch out for when removing the door card?? 

Incidentally when i open the drivers side rear i get no water shower at all, anywhere so assume the water can drain out as its supposed to..

I dont suspect this yellow grommet as my problem but time permitting will be having the cover off anyway to check and clean if needed

Looking at the car from the front or behind when water reaches the bottom of the glass (whilst in the up position obv) the curvature of the car will mean it ends up against the inside of the bottom of the door vapour barrier when it drips down?

F45 door leaks water inside, F10/11 won't. Simple as that!

F45 owners fix your vapour barrier and additionally take a look at your "yellow grommet". F10/11 owners go straight to "yellow grommet" or, as in my case (LHD), go nuts because neither of these is the problem.

1 hour ago, Greenninja said:

OK, now ive still not had chance to fully investigate my issue yet, but with the consistent rain we have been having and my car having not moved for 4 days im convinced there is a way for the water to leak into the car if the vapour barrier fails.

Every time i open my rear passenger side door I get a shower of water running out of the door card, and my carpet is only slightly wet right around the area near the door.. other side of the carpet near the tunnel for the driveshaft is dry.. makes me suspicious thats where my issue is coming from.

Now i know the design of the door etc etc isnt supposed to let water in, but its water, so will find a way in whatever happens... 

Im hopeful I will get time to have the door card off Saturday and take a look, is there anything to watch out for when removing the door card?? 

Incidentally when i open the drivers side rear i get no water shower at all, anywhere so assume the water can drain out as its supposed to..

I dont suspect this yellow grommet as my problem but time permitting will be having the cover off anyway to check and clean if needed

Dave, I still suggest you have a secondary problem too with that door filling up with water and possibly blocked door drains in addition to the wet footwell.

4 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I don't have wet footwells and never have but I have a car that is garaged most of its life and then I am inquisitive and trying to gather information to help others on the forum. There is empirical evidence that the yellow grommet leaks under certain circumstances (you can see the water trickling into the cabin) and I am trying to get that same evidence for the vapour barrier. 

What I am trying to ascertain is how the vapour barrier leaking is allowing water into the car. I fully understand water trickling down a window but that doesn't actually answer the question.  The door card is plastic at the bottom which won't allow water through (obvious) it also has a molded flange that sits against the door seal on the frame of the car which is after the vapour barrier but before the door frame seal. I just want to know how the water gets into the car, and as someone who has fixed wet footwells by fixing a vapour barrier, my question was, whether you have pictures showing the waterway into the car.

My wife's F45 did leak via a failed vapour barrier and it was very obvious. You could see the water trickling into the car just by hosing down the window on that door. But the door card on the F45 does not have the same molded flange. As can be seen in one of my earlier posts where I compare the F11 and F45 door cards side by side.

No pictures unfortunately. Good luck with your investigation. Maybe try removing then end of the vapour barrier on your car and post a vid!! 

The only other thing I can think of is this. We know that the door card rests up against the outside of the door seal. But, if the car has sill protectors, is there a chance the water runs out the bottom of the door, down the sill and underneath the sill protectors and through holes where the sill protectors are clipped into the sill? Is that viable at all or am I talking rubbish? Even if it can get through this route, does that take the water inside the car or not? Just a thought really.

Edited by nashdm2

4 hours ago, BB525d said:

No pictures unfortunately. Good luck with your investigation. Maybe try removing then end of the vapour barrier on your car and post a vid!! 

Why would I possibly damage a perfectly good vapour barrier when I'm not the one with the issue??

On 16/01/2018 at 4:58 PM, JWTOMBS said:

Cheers,

John

Hi John

As mentioned above, read through the thread a couple of times, it is actually a lot simpler than it looks, just take your time.  It is just 3 screws and a tug to remove, and I was surprised at just how much room there is to manoeuvre in that area, even for my fat hands!  Putting the cover back is not so bad, just locate the lug and line things up,  if you take your time and go steady it is straight forward.  I was less than an hour do do the whole thing - including a vacuum of the rear footwells.  Happy to report that following quite a lot of rain that this has cured my issue completely.