ozzy2015

Heavy rain, Water leak

235 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Y15HAL said:

What needs to be done to the panel?

You could drill a hole in the panel to allow water and leaves to be evacuated (as others have done and demonstrated in this thread) or just remove the panel periodically and clean it out. The panel provides noise insulation at the bulkhead so I won't be messing with mine but will make sure it is clean and dry from time to time.

Y15HAL likes this

So, managed to get some time today to take a look into this....

Managed to get 3 of the bolts off fine, but the last one was a right PITA! Wouldn't budge at all......got some WD40, let it soak for a few minutes, and finally managed to get the 4th one out.....

No leaves behind the panel, but a fair amount of crud in the area and on the cover itself......

IMG_8204.JPG.62c25293b669dbb7e0aefa9ef753e881.JPG

IMG_8202.JPG.443cc0195a88cfe3f491acf365399b82.JPG

Gave the panel and area a good clean.....Couldnt get the stain off the yellow grommit......

IMG_8209.JPG.f6ec5864ff0759e5ef2605c2c0ecf7fb.JPG

I decided to cut away a bit of that sealant a the small edge on the cover to try and allow excess water to flow out.....

IMG_8212.JPG.d50e2b330aaded44550d16f018e8853e.JPG

IMG_8213.JPG.e8d1020fa076642ab461da45b10bc0cb.JPG

For anyone who struggles to find the extra bolt which is out of sight, its located here.....

IMG_8211.JPG.5840c0d9fb1754621628245def4bee96.JPG

And finally heres the part number, for future reference if anyone needs it.....

IMG_8207.JPG.449bfcee0bdbb80ba819a67a37583929.JPG

As people have mentioned, getting the cover back on proved very difficult - getting it all lined up properly was a pain.....In the end, i could only get 3 of the bolts back on, and struggled with the 4th (the one that is out of sight), so have had to leave it out :( The panel seems on and solid with just the 3 bolts.

Edited by Y15HAL

I managed to get most of the leaves out under the hinges on the driver side, but the passenger side proved more difficult, theres not enough space to put the hoover in even with the thin attachment (it's short by about 10-15cm... and i can't squeeze my hand in the area either :(

Does anyone know what this part is?

IMG_8216.JPG.bc3e62309a0d86ca75ed3e971739d6e0.JPG

I was tempted to try and remove it to gain a little more space, but didn't want to do any damage :| 

Managed to get a wet Vac and hoover up most of the water in the foot well, which is good news :)

I think that part is like an explosive bolt that fires the back of the bonnet up to avoid injury to people on a front impact. I may be wrong of course!!!!

Y15HAL likes this

1 hour ago, Y15HAL said:

I was tempted to try and remove it to gain a little more space, but didn't want to do any damage :| 

You don't want to remove this!

40 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

I think that part is like an explosive bolt that fires the back of the bonnet up to avoid injury to people on a front impact. I may be wrong of course!!!!

You are totally correct Dave - Pedestrian protection bonnet pop-up device.

Y15HAL likes this

So, now we have the other post running thanks to Matthew, we now know that the water enters behind the panel at the top under the sticky out bit at the top of the panel.

Also, water should drain out of the hole in the bodywork at the bottom right but does not for some reason. 

That now also means that the bead of sealant all around the panel was not a design fault after all as water should never have needed to get out of the panel at the very bottom.

Edited by nashdm2

3 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

You don't want to remove this!

You are totally correct Dave - Pedestrian protection bonnet pop-up device.

Is there any other way of clearing out leaf build up in the corner then?

On 09/08/2017 at 4:11 PM, Lukenkarl said:

Is this any good to anyone?

It shows the pipes etc

IMG_0385.PNG

Doesn't part number 1 show the little white pipe that Matthew has? No pun intended.

The more I look at this picture the more interesting it becomes. It does indeed look like that same pipe, but, I am not sure it is. There is another identical piece the other side on this diagram, also marked with a 1. Are these not the exit pipes underneath the fan enclosure box for any moisture? Also, I am not sure where these pipes go to as it looks like they go into the wheel arch vents that Matthew was talking about as the items looked similar.