Fatbloke72

SAT NAV MAPS UPDATE BY USB

On 16/02/2018 at 7:44 PM, CS10 said:

Contacted my local dealer today and I've got it booked in for wed so hopefully it'll get sorted!

Thanks for help and advice :D

You have had exactly the same problem that I had. Paid for the legitimate update from BMW and it caused the I drive to go into continual reboot mode.

Visit to BMW under warranty sorted it - they had to flash the software on the I drive - my guess is the update corrupted a file system in the I drive OS. But it was borderline the warranty covered the work. I was lucky.

Annoying thing is BMW are charging for a file update which has the potential to corrupt the I drive. I’m wary about doing the update again for 2018-2.......

Just to update I have now updates my maps to the latest version using BMW connected drive £69.95 for 2 years worth of updates.

They are STILL having issues with there website but after contacting the manager he was able to add the maps to my account at his end, so all I had to do was log in and download them to USB.

I used a 64gb USB 3.0 stick (which already had files on it)
It was then just a case of plugging this into the centre armrest USB port and updating the maps.

As I was in and out of my car it took a full day and I must have stop/started the car 5 times during this process with no issues (the update just carried on from the last point)

I had a similar issue with updating my maps, the Connected Drive website just wouldn't allow me to purchase them, despite it being seemingly available on the store listing page. They initially told me;

I would like to confirm that this was a known issue affecting a wide range of our customers. This error occurred due to the internal programming of our cars being unable to obtain a subscription that would push the expiration date past 31 December 2019. As USB Map Update is a two year subscription, this would make the expiration date 2020 and the internal programming of some our cars was preventing this.

This can be resolved by visiting your local BMW Centre and have them change the “App” number of your car to a higher number, which will permit your car to obtain subscriptions with an end date past 31 December 2019. Once this has been changed, it will take up to three days for this to correct itself in your ConnectedDrive account and then you’ll be able to purchase USB Map Updates. 

Eventually they did something (I didn't visit a dealer) and was asked to try again and the option to purchase appeared and I was able to update via a USB stick.

I wonder if this is why I have BMW Apps (Spotify etc) when my build spec doesn't mention it - could they have updated the car software via the data SIM which has had the effect of adding Apps? I don't know for certain if I had access to Spotify before any of this happened as I hadn't tried.

8 hours ago, AndyM said:

I had a similar issue with updating my maps, the Connected Drive website just wouldn't allow me to purchase them, despite it being seemingly available on the store listing page. They initially told me;

Eventually they did something (I didn't visit a dealer) and was asked to try again and the option to purchase appeared and I was able to update via a USB stick.

I wonder if this is why I have BMW Apps (Spotify etc) when my build spec doesn't mention it - could they have updated the car software via the data SIM which has had the effect of adding Apps? I don't know for certain if I had access to Spotify before any of this happened as I hadn't tried.

Depending on the age of your car you may not have 6NR but still have BMW Apps. 6AK - Connected Drive Services - on newer model cars includes Apps. These can be updated over the air when there is an active Connected Drive subscription.

17 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Depending on the age of your car you may not have 6NR but still have BMW Apps. 6AK - Connected Drive Services - on newer model cars includes Apps. These can be updated over the air when there is an active Connected Drive subscription.

That would explain it then as I have 6AK. It's a November 2014 build.

Some help required if possible. I have downloaded the 2018-1 map update onto a Sandisk ultra 3.0 64gb usb, I have checked to make sure it’s the correct map for my car which I’m 100% sure it is. 

I only have the armrest usb not a glovebox usb but when I plug it in nothing happens at all, I have tried formatting it again to fat32 and reloading them back on but still nothing any suggestions where am going wrong? 

The car in question is a 2013 f10 with widescreen nav it does recognise the usb stick when I go into media etc 

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks 

18 hours ago, robsey29 said:

Some help required if possible. I have downloaded the 2018-1 map update onto a Sandisk ultra 3.0 64gb usb, I have checked to make sure it’s the correct map for my car which I’m 100% sure it is. 

I only have the armrest usb not a glovebox usb but when I plug it in nothing happens at all, I have tried formatting it again to fat32 and reloading them back on but still nothing any suggestions where am going wrong? 

The car in question is a 2013 f10 with widescreen nav it does recognise the usb stick when I go into media etc 

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks 

robsey29 - not to doubt you - but I would triple check you DON'T have a usb connection in the glovebox. 

I've done the update 3 times on two different cars, one being a 2012 e92 - same issue as you. We checked the glovebox twice couldn't find a usb port - but low and behold, there was one. Worked first time.

Also, ensure you're writing the data to the usb drive correctly. When I did the 2018-1 maps on my 2011 f11, I needed 3 usb sticks, as there are 3 folders in the download, disk 1, disk 2, disk 3, the car prompted each time for the stick it needed.

I'm not very experienced but having done if before a few times that is all I can say to help. The stick needs to have the files in the correct location for the car to pick up the update. You're falling at the first hurdle, I'm going to say the fix is just something "dumb" that's not quite right. 

Edited by johnleb

Johnleb thanks for your help all sorted now!

The issue was the I had the files in a sub folder on the root of the usb so the car could not detect it, removed the sub folder and problem solved. I do not have a glovebox usb and it worked first time in the armrest usb took around 20-30 minutes to do and all went well. 

2 minutes ago, robsey29 said:

Johnleb thanks for your help all sorted now!

The issue was the I had the files in a sub folder on the root of the usb so the car could not detect it, removed the sub folder and problem solved. I do not have a glovebox usb and it worked first time in the armrest usb took around 20-30 minutes to do and all went well. 

spot on glad you got it sorted! afaik if you have USB in armrest and in the glovebox, the armrest doesn't doesn't work. I've never heard of it working from the armrest so good to know.

5 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

Any idea roughly which months they release the -1 and -2 in each year? (hope that makes sense)

April and October is my GUESS.. Why?

A couple of years back I did an upgrade in March, the next release came out in April haha. 

I did the 2018-1 update back in November, I wasn't watching out for it just came across it and did the upgrade.. so ROUGHLY, GUESSING, ESTIMATING... Apr-Oct :)

Edited by johnleb

7 minutes ago, johnleb said:

spot on glad you got it sorted! afaik if you have USB in armrest and in the glovebox, the armrest doesn't doesn't work. I've never heard of it working from the armrest so good to know.

That’s what I had read so of course I stripped the glovebox thinking that’s why It didn’t work but no usb in there whatsoever, then back to the drawing board and thought it must be coz all the files where in a sub folder took them out and hey presto all done.

11 hours ago, robsey29 said:

That’s what I had read so of course I stripped the glovebox thinking that’s why It didn’t work but no usb in there whatsoever, then back to the drawing board and thought it must be coz all the files where in a sub folder took them out and hey presto all done.

If you have HU_NBT so "NEXT" maps, you won't have a glovebox USB port. Those were only to be found on HU_CIC cars with "PREMIUM" maps. BMW incorporated all of the functionality to the one USB port in the armrest when they introduced NBT.

11 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

If you have HU_NBT so "NEXT" maps, you won't have a glovebox USB port. Those were only to be found on HU_CIC cars with "PREMIUM" maps. BMW incorporated all of the functionality to the one USB port in the armrest when they introduced NBT.

Good to know and explains why I could not find it.

On 3/25/2018 at 9:29 PM, johnleb said:

I don't seem to have a USB in the glovebox either, but never had any trouble updating from the  armrest USB. Mine was registered Aug'14 should it have the USB in the glove box ? Or am I just missing it ?

1 hour ago, Bobsterdanai said:

I don't seem to have a USB in the glovebox either, but never had any trouble updating from the  armrest USB. Mine was registered Aug'14 should it have the USB in the glove box ? Or am I just missing it ?

See the post 2 above. NBT was introduced late 2012 and did away with the USB port in the glovebox.

Just throwing my 2 pence in.

Just updated my map from 2013 to latest 2018.

Single USB install via port in glove box.

£25 all in.

£10 for a new USB stick coz I didn't already have one big enough.

And £15 for a lifetime code from eBay.

Took about an hour to update.

Very happy now I can park my car on my drive and it's looks like its on a street rather than in a field.