Fatbloke72

SAT NAV MAPS UPDATE BY USB

Finally figured out how to pull my generalPersistencyData_DiagnosticSWTController file from the CIC over ethernet (it's a late E60) and create my FSC code. I now have the 2018-1 Europe (USB) installed and working :)

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:16 PM, johnleb said:

why dont you just pay £15 and get a lifetime fsc on ebay.. life is too short imo. I used one  seller twice (me and cousin) replies in an hour each time. all good

good luck sorting it though if you find it, can you do a write up

I've got the tools so I may as well use them plus I'll learn a thing or two. Hopefully I won't cock it up and brick my unit, but I have coded the car previously so am confident in my ability :-)

I've just updated mine to the latest version brought from BMW (2018-1).

The update went through with no issue, but now its done and rebooted, no map is displayed, and the whole thing keeps rebooting itself?!

What did I do wrong?!

Has anyone seen this before and can make any suggestions as to how I fix it?

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, CS10 said:

I've just updated mine to the latest version brought from BMW (2018-1).

The update went through with no issue, but now its done and rebooted, no map is displayed, and the whole thing keeps rebooting itself?!

What did I do wrong?!

Has anyone seen this before and can make any suggestions as to how I fix it?

Thanks!

You need to have the software/firmware updated, a few people have had this. As you bought it from BMW you are lucky as they will sort the mess out for you.

It was the maps that I brought from BMW, not the actual car.

Will they still sort this?

Is it the media update I need to do because I can do that myself can't I?

Edited by CS10

16 minutes ago, CS10 said:

It was the maps that I brought from BMW, not the actual car.

Will they still sort this?

Is it the media update I need to do because I can do that myself can't I?

you can. you just need your vin

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

not sure if that will sort it though, try it at least it wont do any harm. I imagine bmw will sort it for you as you got the software from them - probably cost you though :(

On 13/02/2018 at 11:21 AM, 5SPORT said:

I've got the tools so I may as well use them plus I'll learn a thing or two. Hopefully I won't cock it up and brick my unit, but I have coded the car previously so am confident in my ability :-)

yep of course, always good to learn something, would do some coding myself (if i had the spare time! i don't!) but the car is quite well specc'd already so not sure what more I'd want or need to be honest. I would like proper app integration which i saw here:-

if you find out how to do that i'd love to hear about it.

Edited by johnleb

1 hour ago, johnleb said:

you can. you just need your vin

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

not sure if that will sort it though, try it at least it wont do any harm. I imagine bmw will sort it for you as you got the software from them - probably cost you though :(

Is it worth me re doing the map install? 

Also, it seems to have lost all my saved DAB stations etc.

Has updating the maps really managed to cause all this!?

Its going to be a pain in the backside seeing it restarting all the time when i'm driving :(

Edited by CS10

am I to assume you've already tried updating the software with the link provided - and it's made no difference?

I suspect the map update may have gone wrong, the system is trying to load the broken maps, not being able to, so it restarts, hence the infinite loop you're having. reloading the maps is definately worth it - did you get an fsc code from bmw and did they give you usb drives to update it? you can download the maps off the internet and load them onto 3x usb sticks works perfectly. 

just so you know - i'm not an expert on this stuff.

do you know there are different versions of the maps depending on your idrive? mine is europe west premium. but there are others other than premium. I wonder if they gave you the right one?

I have just tried to redo the software from the link provided but it seems to restart itself quite often so I haven't dare'd to press Update, just incase it restarts whilst half way through it.

I had an FSC code from BMW that was emailed to me after I purchased and downloaded the 'download' software.

I then downloaded the maps, and used the tool they make you use to put it on to a single memory stick. It was a 64GB usb, as 32gb was too small.

If I try and re-do the maps again, I think it will just restart connected drive when its started so it will never finish..

Basically the screen goes black, the bmw connecteddrive animation loads and then it appears again.

Bit shortly after, it will do the same thing.

The map I had on before was Road Map Europe Next 2013-1.

If I'm quick, I can check the new map version and its Road Map Europe Next 2018-1, so I think they've sent the right map.

Edited by CS10

40 minutes ago, CS10 said:

I have just tried to redo the software from the link provided but it seems to restart itself quite often so I haven't dare'd to press Update, just incase it restarts whilst half way through it.

I had an FSC code from BMW that was emailed to me after I purchased and downloaded the 'download' software.

I then downloaded the maps, and used the tool they make you use to put it on to a single memory stick. It was a 64GB usb, as 32gb was too small.

If I try and re-do the maps again, I think it will just restart connected drive when its started so it will never finish..

Basically the screen goes black, the bmw connecteddrive animation loads and then it appears again.

Bit shortly after, it will do the same thing.

The map I had on before was Road Map Europe Next 2013-1.

If I'm quick, I can check the new map version and its Road Map Europe Next 2018-1, so I think they've sent the right map.

ok - you can get an idea if it'll restart during the update. put the stick in the glovebox usb port and turn on the car, you should get a message saying software update available and the version numbers. Just wait - it doesn't automatically start updating as soon as it detects the stick, if the system doesn't restart then i'd feel pretty confident about doing the update. But that's just me. Hope that makes sense. Remember I've got an F11 with pro nav and this is what happens when I do the software updates. I expect you'll be the same, but don't blame me if it goes differently! sorry!

A software update usually takes around 2-4 minutes, it's not very long. 

have you tried just disconnecting the battery btw? I'm surprised the dab stations were lost, but I don't have dab.

Edited by johnleb

found on another forum..

I haven't seen this posted here but it's something that I've found useful on a few ocassions. To completely reboot your car control computer (I-Drive, Navigation, Audio), hold down both eject buttons for the DVD and CD drives while pushing the radio power knob. This causes the system to reboot from scratch but doesn't lose any of your presets or stored information. When you turn the car off and back on again it doesn't completely reboot the system, at least not to this degree.

I would consider getting another copy of the maps. Here's how I did it - I bought 3 of these..(or very similar) 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-Technology-Traveler-Windows-Casing/dp/B00SOL9ZSA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1518718039&sr=8-1&keywords=16gb+usb+kingston

I downloaded the 2018-1 map from the internet - I can't tell you where... but there are loads of webpages if you search, a "torrent" of them with download links for the map data. I copied the data folder for each stick to the usb, formatting as fat32 and loaded them up when the computer asked for disc 2, disc 3 etc... I even did it over a couple of days as i was driving to work. The system checks each stick in turn, then asks for the missing data on the next stick. All perfect. Try this method... use quality branded usb sticks as well. I'm 99% certain the stick or the data is faulty/corrupted in some way that's fooling the error checker. (it does happen!)

Edited by johnleb

also turn off bluetooth on your phone! some phones have been know to cause reboots... i'm reading the web for you...

keep us updated, everything points to upgrading the firmware on the idrive or map data corruption. I think you need to try updating the firmware buddy.

Edited by johnleb

I tried to do the software update tonight but it gets to about 10% and it reboots. Can't get any further.

It's doing my head in. I've only had the car 2 weeks. The sat nav needed updating as it was 2013. I expected the files from BMW to work properly!

I guess I'm lucky I brought the maps directly from BMW aren't I.

Surely they should sort this for me?

I guess it's worth giving the connected drive number a ring...?

26 minutes ago, CS10 said:

I tried to do the software update tonight but it gets to about 10% and it reboots. Can't get any further.

It's doing my head in. I've only had the car 2 weeks. The sat nav needed updating as it was 2013. I expected the files from BMW to work properly!

I guess I'm lucky I brought the maps directly from BMW aren't I.

Surely they should sort this for me?

I guess it's worth giving the connected drive number a ring...?

I think they should - as you said you bought it from them. Just make sure you're ready for any questions that would question your competence. I'm sure it'll get sorted. I'm sorry for your woes. I guess the only silver lining is that people reading this should be aware they need to update their software first before doing the map update. You'd think there would be some sort of recovery mode that would allow the system to function without the maps .... it must be very distracting to have the system constantly reset. Sorry I can't help further. 

3 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Just a quick question, how did you format your usb in fat32 rather than exFat or NTFS? 

Usually not an option if its larger than 32gb through Windows explorer. 

to do a larger drive you need powershell 

format /FS:FAT32 X:   - where x is your usb drive letter. add /Q after format if you want to do it quickly.

oh, you were talking to cs10 - he got his 64gb drive from bmw i think.

2 hours ago, johnleb said:

to do a larger drive you need powershell 

format /FS:FAT32 X:   - where x is your usb drive letter. add /Q after format if you want to do it quickly.

oh, you were talking to cs10 - he got his 64gb drive from bmw i think.

I didn't get the stick from BMW, I got the maps from BMW via the connected drive portal.

I just let the download tool do all the work.

I think it would have moaned if it wasn't formatted properly.

Does it have to be fat 32 because I think mine was NTFS.

Yep, i did mine with EaseUS Partition Manager into fat32 - i haven't yet run the update in the car. 

Point being could it be the format thats caused something for cs10? I thought id read elsewhere that NTFS was a problem but that was perhaps only early versions of iDrive. 

Edited by SuperDave

Morning All,

Currently sat in my F11 about to attempt SAT NAV update.

(Currently have 2013 version installed)

Planning to buy the £69.95 2 year update from BMW connected driving assuming they just send you the file, download to USB and install to vehicle.

Reading this forum I just wanted to check a couple of things.

1) Current software version is as follows

MN-003.013.001

TN-003.013.001

Do I already have the latest version?

I see on BMW website I can download UPD05074
My understanding is that this corresponds to versions MN-002.255.071 + TN-002.255.070
As this is older than my version, it gives me an error when trying to install the UPD05074 file via USB.

2) Has anyone done these updates using a Mac to transfer/re-format memory stick etc.?

3) What is the best size memory stick to use? 64gb/32gb... USB2.0 or USB3.0?

Cheers,

Dean

UPDATE - Tried to download Sat Nav update from BMW connected drive but keeps saying "Payment Unsuccessful - Try again later"

Edited by E93

The BMW software update that you can do yourself has nothing to do with the Nav maps. It will update the Bluetooth version for phone compatibility. As newer phones come out BMW sometimes offers the Media updates. 

As as for the maps. NTFS formatted USB sticks have worked just fine on my 2010 F11 and our 2014 F45 although exFAT also works on the latter of the 2 cars and not the F11. 

If the iDrive is rebooting during the Nav Map update it will possibly need a firmware update and this can generally only be done by BMW.  Someone else on this forum had a similar issue when updating new Satnav maps and BMW sorted it out. Note the difference between a firmware update to the iDrive by BMW and the Bluetooth software update for the DIYer.