Fatbloke72

SAT NAV MAPS UPDATE BY USB

When I registered my car with connected drive I needed to scan my v5 and email it with a printed then scanned aplication form. Someone then had to verify it was legit at bmw before I could start using my account. My car is over 3 years old so the subscription had expired.

Yep that is the weird thing I was able to do it all in advance of receiving a V5 and have a play albeit for only a couple of weeks

It was probably the best side of a three week wait by the time the dealer I bought the car from had done his paperwork at his end sent it off to DVLA and I got my V5 and by then we were in to September and my connected drive sub had expired

Mind you that may have been fast a friend who bought a Citroen Picasso a few months ago still has not received his yet....

I only asked as I found this on the Series 2 page of the BMW site

he latest generation of the Professional Navigation System automatically updates its navigation maps on a regular basis in conjunction with BMW ConnectedDrive. As soon as updated material for the selected region becomes available, the update is transmitted wirelessly via the Internet using the vehicle's built-in SIM card – up to four times a year. No licensing fees or transmission costs, no registration, no login.
Updating map material for additional regions may be done manually. These updates can either be carried out at the BMW Service partner or conveniently purchased online in the BMW ConnectedDrive Shop and transferred to the navigation system via USB stick.

Ah yes I have read the next nav system after NBT will get over the air updates

I suspect that will be part of the connected drive subscription so you may well be right that could be included foc for the first 3 years

It isn't exactly foc though is it because someone has paid umpteen thousands for the new car in the first place so that 3 years is really part of the purchase price

I updated my F11 from 2014 to 2016 yesterday and used a 32 gb camera CF card and a card reader and USB cable. My 32gb flash drive is USB 3.0 and, although it works it's slow.

All done. For anybody doing it for the first time, just to let you know, it is ok to switch the car off. When you restart the car it just picks up where it left off.

It actually carried on copying over for about 20 minutes after switching the engine off and switching the alarm on.

My August 2010 build wont update via USB, is this normal? (if it's of relevance I can't update the Bluetooth using the usb update option either). I'm planning to update the maps by dvd instead, has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

You are using the usb port in the glovebox for the maps aren't you and the stick has to be formatted as fat32

if so then try to verify the port is ok by copying some MP3 files from it to the cars HDD

My August 2010 build wont update via USB, is this normal? (if it's of relevance I can't update the Bluetooth using the usb update option either). I'm planning to update the maps by dvd instead, has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks.

Most usb drives have a small secondary partition so make sure you format your usb stick as fat32 with the tool linked on one of my previous posts. You also need to put only the "pkgdb" folder and the "config.nfm" file in the root of your usb stick, not in another folder. Use the glovebox usb port for your map updates. When you insert a correctly prepared usb drive the car will prompt you to update, use the iDrive to enter your FSC code and be ready with the next usb stick when your car asks for it. If you have a laptop you could have all the files in disk1, disk2 and disk3 folders and just copy the corresponding contents to the root when prompted. I just used 3 usb sticks because that's what I had to hand but either way is fine. It takes about 40 mins IIRC. For bluetooth updates use the usb port in the armrest instead. Good luck. 

Thanks,I have been given 3 discs as replacements for the 3 usb sticks. I'll try the discs but guess I could just format the usb sticks and copy the content of each disc onto each usb and try again?

Can I be driving the car whilst the maps are being updated?

On the Bluetooth front the bmw website does not offer a Bluetooth update for my VIN so there's nothing to download.

You can drive the car while the maps are updating and it's ok to switch the ignition off and come back to it.

A question for you that may solve your loading problem.

The guy I use lets you download from a server. In my case this time it was 23 900MB .rar files. The files need to be reassembled and decompressed with a program like Winzip. On a Mac I use an app called Betterzip. On your computer you need all of the files in a single folder and to start the assembling process and open the first file in the program.

A quick update. My Dvd discs are now loaded and all seems ok. I loaded the first disc, parked up went to a meeting at approx 25 and turned off the engine/ignition. Once back in the car it continued from where it left off. It then got to about 30% when I was asked to insert disc 2. Once it was at approx 35% I popped in to sainsbury's. Once back in the car it asked me to insert disc 1 again which I did. It then quickly realised that disc 1 was already loaded and asked for disc 2. I stopped again at about 50% this time at Tesco. On restarting it asked me to repeat the previous procedure and again all was fine. That got to approx 65% when I was asked to insert disc 3. Upon completion it asked me to select ok to install, and hey presto, all done.

I had feared that I'd have to leave the car stationary for 2 hours waiting for the maps to load, I needn't have worried though, not only could I drive whilst the maps were loading, but it didn't seem to mind stopping and starting during the install.

A quick update. My Dvd discs are now loaded and all seems ok. I loaded the first disc, parked up went to a meeting at approx 25 and turned off the engine/ignition. Once back in the car it continued from where it left off. It then got to about 30% when I was asked to insert disc 2. Once it was at approx 35% I popped in to sainsbury's. Once back in the car it asked me to insert disc 1 again which I did. It then quickly realised that disc 1 was already loaded and asked for disc 2. I stopped again at about 50% this time at Tesco. On restarting it asked me to repeat the previous procedure and again all was fine. That got to approx 65% when I was asked to insert disc 3. Upon completion it asked me to select ok to install, and hey presto, all done.

I had feared that I'd have to leave the car stationary for 2 hours waiting for the maps to load, I needn't have worried though, not only could I drive whilst the maps were loading, but it didn't seem to mind stopping and starting during the install.

Glad you got it installed OK

Map updates are never free

Well I picked up my new F11 today ( in the pouring rain ) and you DO now get 4 map updates a year included if you have the professional system!!

About time car manufacturers caught with the stand alone sat nav world.

That is good news then.

Is that for the first three years then same as the free connected drive subscription?

I don't think I have ever seen BMW do more than two map updates in year so four may just be a bit of optimistic advertising.

That is good news then.

Is that for the first three years then same as the free connected drive subscription?

I don't think I have ever seen BMW do more than two map updates in year so four may just be a bit of optimistic advertising.

Not sure how long it is for, probably as long as you have connected drive as you say.

There is no qualification mentioned in the blurb that came with the car.

It is on the web site and in my sat nav manual, but it is only if you have professional nav. Do you have that? 

The sales guy gave me the impression that it was a fairly recent change.