Fatbloke72

SAT NAV MAPS UPDATE BY USB

Hi, has anyone had any experience of buying updated sat nav maps from a company called 'Carsmate'?

I have 2010 maps and lloking to upgrade to latest 2016 maps. 'Carsmate' supply a single 32gb usb stick to do the job.

Has anyone else updated theirs off a single USB stick? Is it day to do?

Thanks

I buy mine from a guy off Ebay and I download them from his website as one big file and stick them on a USB stick. I vaguely remember there was an issue with a USB 3 stick and had to use an older stick. It was a while back but I think I ended up having to use a camera flash reader, a big CF card with a USB cable because I didn’t have an older USB 2 stick.

Edited by rasg

I'm assuming that once the file is on the memory stick, the install procedure is the same?

Was it easy to do?

Is it just a matter of plugging in the usb, entering the code and letting the car do the rest?

Irrespective of whether you upgrade via USB or DVD it takes about 35-40 minutes to copy the update to the CIC hard drive

The ignition needs to remain on all the time so it is best to do it with the engine on and it can be done whilst the car is being driven.

As soon as the update media is seen the Idrive will prompt to begin the upgrade and for the code

Once the code is entered the rest is automatic if multiple DVDs or USB sticks are used it will pause and prompt for each one.

Once complete it sits a 100% for a minute or two then the nav system reboots

Do not be alarmed if you see a blank screen when checking the nav version immediately afterwards, it can take some time to populate

I did mine about 2 weeks ago and bought it from a guy off ebay. It was £14 for the download and code but you'll need to send your vin to him. I used a new Sandisk 64gb usb3 thumb drive but you need to format as fat32. Use the link below to download the tool I used. Make sure you use the usb port in the glovebox.

http://filehippo.com/download_hp_usb_disk_storage_format_tool/download/fc84d50d8dca60ef56a7eb1f049d1978/

Hi chopper70

Which seller did you get the maps off on EBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-FSC-Freischaltcode-CIC-Road-Map-Premium-Europe-West-East-2016-1-/171968306036?

This is the guy. You will need to be able to connect to an ftp server using filezilla or something similar. He sends you all the instructions and it's dead easy but you do need some computer skills, however google is your friend.

Just noticed that this is now the 2016 update. Gutted I've only just done mine to 2015. Should have got the lifetime FSC. DOH

Edited by chopper70

Thank you for the link I just need to get my car back from the dealer so I can check what version I have installed.Just don't know when it's coming back as the parts are on back order with no date of delivery

That doesn't sound good, what's wrong with it?

Guys just be careful who you are dealing with on Ebay most are professional software pirates you could even be feeding someone's drug or other criminal habit.

When you consider in order to create the FSC code they need your full vin just be cautious.

I would definitely ensure your car is fully registered to you via BMW if you have the connecteddrive subscription otherwise it would be oh so easy to get access to the vehicle location and remote unlocking facility...

If you do want to fund an enterprising individual this guy below seems to have a good following.

I should imagine he makes a pretty good living doing this! 

Maybe it even pays for his cars looking at how popular he is!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995629

For the adventurous It really is not that hard to DIY this.

I have done mine twice now

The Maps can be downloaded from all sorts of places literally dozens of people upload them all over the shop as soon as they get released.

the FSC code can be generated yourself by reading and converting a seed code held in the car.

You just need an Enet cable and a bit of freeware called Dr.gini installed There are other FSC code generators out there but Dr Gini works for me so has become my preferred tool.

Edited by Alexak

Apt timing! Considering updating myself. Do we have a definitive how to write up on this? I seem to recall on my E39 I had to update the system software before being able to use the DVD maps... is there OR is it worth getting the latest CIC firmware at the same time? 

No system software updates needed. that is not to say it will never happen just not yet and I suspect updating the CIC or NBT would be part of a car wide update.

I have not seen any custom maps for the CIC or NBT like we had for the DVD based system i.e. speed cameras or boot logos!

I do wonder just what goodies are embedded in 20GB of data just for western Europe though!

So this update is just an exercise in obtaining the update and writing them to 1 or 3 USBs or 3 DVDs and once the update is initiated pumping in the code via the Idrive controller.

Most of the download archives include full instructions i.e. copy to DVD or USB etc.

Cheers Alexak for the words of warning, my car is registered with BMW but I understand your concern. Like you said map FSC codes can be generated yourself, I haven't got a laptop so I can't get the seed data otherwise I'd have done it myself. I needed to pay someone and this guy seemed as good as any. I noticed last night that the 2016 map is out now so I thought I'd ask the ebay guy if I could upgrade to lifetime updates and he's emailed me back with a new link and FSC for the 2016 maps with no mention of further payment so I'm pretty pleased and he seems ok. Don't really know what people are like but not everyone is a shark.I'd imagine doing 10 of these every day would make a nice living albeit not necessarily within the law. But buying it from BMW is daylight robbery, so who's the real thief?

It needs 2 new air suspension units 1 is starting to fail so they are replacing both with no date for the parts

Bummer. I bought my 2011 f11 520d se about 4 weeks ago and one air shock went within 3 days. Took it to my local indy and they sorted it within 24 hours. Unfortunately if you go to a main stealer then they only use genuine parts of which none are available in the uk. Did they give you a loaner? 

Bummer. I bought my 2011 f11 520d se about 4 weeks ago and one air shock went within 3 days. Took it to my local indy and they sorted it within 24 hours. Unfortunately if you go to a main stealer then they only use genuine parts of which none are available in the uk. Did they give you a loaner? 

stay on topic will ya

Yes the 2016 maps are out

I don't think the tool I use can create the fabled lifetime code assuming it is indeed car specific so I can't give that a try but if you do buy it why not use it to do the 2015 update first and then see if the 2016 installs without further prompting to enter a new code

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers Alexak for the words of warning, my car is registered with BMW but I understand your concern. Like you said map FSC codes can be generated yourself, I haven't got a laptop so I can't get the seed data otherwise I'd have done it myself. I needed to pay someone and this guy seemed as good as any. I noticed last night that the 2016 map is out now so I thought I'd ask the ebay guy if I could upgrade to lifetime updates and he's emailed me back with a new link and FSC for the 2016 maps with no mention of further payment so I'm pretty pleased and he seems ok. Don't really know what people are like but not everyone is a shark.I'd imagine doing 10 of these every day would make a nice living albeit not necessarily within the law. But buying it from BMW is daylight robbery, so who's the real thief?

Hi, how long did the guy take to get back to you after you paid for the FSC code?

I paid for my code and provided current map details and VIN yesterday afternoon but haven't heard anything yet  :???:   I also need a link for the map download which I have asked for.

EDIT - ignore me, I've just received an email from him!

Edited by grantsteve

When you consider in order to create the FSC code they need your full vin just be cautious.

On that basis, would you recommend that we all cover the visible VIN in the windscreen of our cars whenever we park?

Hi, how long did the guy take to get back to you after you paid for the FSC code?

I paid for my code and provided current map details and VIN yesterday afternoon but haven't heard anything yet  :???:   I also need a link for the map download which I have asked for.

EDIT - ignore me, I've just received an email from him!

Yeah I got mine within 48 hrs with all the info

On that basis, would you recommend that we all cover the visible VIN in the windscreen of our cars whenever we park?

Probably not but that is a good point!

I only mentioned it because I was really surprised how easy it was to sign up online and then be able to use the remote access tools when I bought my car 2nd hand

It looks like the previous owner had never done so so I guess the portal treated me as the original owner from the outset.

I also think that is possibly one of the advantages of not renewing the subscription once the three years are up in a back to front sort of way as it almost guarantees no one can get access to the car online.

What I was really getting at is Ebay is the biggest unpoliced source for pirated and stolen goods on the planet and people need to keep that in mind when providing any valuable personal info 

I don't know if Vins complete with someone's full name and address has any form of value on the black market but I suspect they will do to someone.

Am I being paranoid... probably :)