Piper

WOAH! F10 iDrive retrofit into E39s and E38s is a reality!

204 posts in this topic

I'm blown away. There are some real heros out there. You can stick your Android head units where the sun don't shine! Bluetooth, nav, Connected Drive, DAB, DVD ...it all works!

Announcement - I'm doing this.

attachment_zpsexx59zaw_edit_144628848036

https://youtu.be/DusKlcGABEM

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2153382-NBT-CIC-CCC-retrofit-in-E39-E38-E53

http://carsystems.com.ua/bmw-products-en/bmw-exx-ibus-nbt-retrofit-adapter-en

http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=113

Edited by Piper

Worth reading the thread as well, as Dennis gets the bird :) :)

Edited by Piper

If anyone is up for a group buy of the iBus to NBT adapter then post up your name!

Edited by Piper

Hi,

Piper - That's fair enough if you'd want to 'flip me the bird' !

For everyone else -

From a 'project' point of view, this is a great modification, however that's really about all it is. It's simply too expensive for 'many' owners to do it, it's also not 'fully' functional in terms of knowing exactly what to do to fit it and have everything work correctly/properly and there's the aspect of where to fit the controller in an E39 which also by the way, needs to be fabricated.

I'd say a ballpark figure of around £1750-2000 would be the cost if everything was done DIY and perhaps £2500-3000 if anyone needs to use a professional for the Coding, physical installation and fabrication aspects. 

There's also the aspect that once done, it'd not have any increase in sound quality either. 

If the setup could be purchased and fitted for say around £1000, there'd perhaps be a few more owners wanting to do it!

Those who do go forward with this, please do post your project thread in this section !

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi,

Piper - That's fair enough if you'd want to 'flip me the bird' !

For everyone else -

From a 'project' point of view, this is a great modification, however that's really about all it is. It's simply too expensive for 'many' owners to do it, it's also not 'fully' functional in terms of knowing exactly what to do to fit it and have everything work correctly/properly and there's the aspect of where to fit the controller in an E39 which also by the way, needs to be fabricated.

I'd say a ballpark figure of around £1750-2000 would be the cost if everything was done DIY and perhaps £2500-3000 if anyone needs to use a professional for the Coding, physical installation and fabrication aspects.

There's also the aspect that once done, it'd not have any increase in sound quality either.

If the setup could be purchased and fitted for say around £1000, there'd perhaps be a few more owners wanting to do it!

Those who do go forward with this, please do post your project thread in this section !

Cheers, Dennis!

Well, some unfortunate chaps spent £600 on Andrive 3s.... £1000 seems good value in comparison.

Also, none of us have heard a car with this retrofit, so it's incorrect to jump to conclusions about sound quality. However, it can't be worse.

Edited by Piper

Thats what i have in the Z4 and it works beautifully and seamlessly..

Very intuitive and easy to use...

Its a great set up..

But how do you control the various functions,do you get the wheel/mouse controller for the console ?

Thats what i have in the Z4 and it works beautifully and seamlessly..

Very intuitive and easy to use...

Its a great set up..

But how do you control the various functions,do you get the wheel/mouse controller for the console ?

Yes, and you can choose to fit in centre console or armrest.

Hi 

Chris - from the other forum, that person was on this forum back when those hualingan units were around - a few customers here had issues and he was less than willing to help and thus, the owners/moderators here banned him. He then went over to the US site and had a style of posting which often rubbed various people the wrong way. That culminated in him being banned from that forum after writing up a racist post. He's now re-joined as the forum name you see there. 

On the site you linked to, looks like the kit, with DAB and an E39 monitor is £1382. You'll need to fabricate a bezel which would be around £150 from the guy in the bimmerforums thread, and get the rollup/down cubby plastic piece to hold the controller (which I think isn't a good location at all!) I think the price wanted for that is around £30-50. So to get all the parts looks like around £1560-1600'ish. Installation will be free if DIY, and perhaps another 2 days worth of labour if a pro installer is used - so I'd estimate £500-750 as a 'job' all in. At £1600, that's still triple the price of something the equivalent of the andrive! Anyone needing it fitted by a pro - would be paying around the £2500-2750 level and to fit a readily available replacement head unit/double DIN would perhaps add £100 or so to it's cost. That'd make the NBT retrofit more than quadruple the price. 

Also, don't forget, the hardware you purchase wouldn't have a warranty/guarantee if bought via breakers/sellers on ebay etc. One of the guys in the US thread got a faulty monitor for instance.

Keep in mind, there's perhaps more items to purchase if the chosen car didn't have oem GPS for the antennas to be in place, and bluetooth etc, so I think your '£1000' level needs to be increased somewhat !!

It's a great 'wow' project for sure, but it's got very little value for money once all done. I'd be much more interested if the 'whole job' could be done for around £1000. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi 

Chris - from the other forum, that person was on this forum back when those hualingan units were around - a few customers here had issues and he was less than willing to help and thus, the owners/moderators here banned him. He then went over to the US site and had a style of posting which often rubbed various people the wrong way. That culminated in him being banned from that forum after writing up a racist post. He's now re-joined as the forum name you see there. 

On the site you linked to, looks like the kit, with DAB and an E39 monitor is £1382. You'll need to fabricate a bezel which would be around £150 from the guy in the bimmerforums thread, and get the rollup/down cubby plastic piece to hold the controller (which I think isn't a good location at all!) I think the price wanted for that is around £30-50. So to get all the parts looks like around £1560-1600'ish. Installation will be free if DIY, and perhaps another 2 days worth of labour if a pro installer is used - so I'd estimate £500-750 as a 'job' all in. At £1600, that's still triple the price of something the equivalent of the andrive! Anyone needing it fitted by a pro - would be paying around the £2500-2750 level and to fit a readily available replacement head unit/double DIN would perhaps add £100 or so to it's cost. That'd make the NBT retrofit more than quadruple the price. 

Also, don't forget, the hardware you purchase wouldn't have a warranty/guarantee if bought via breakers/sellers on ebay etc. One of the guys in the US thread got a faulty monitor for instance.

Keep in mind, there's perhaps more items to purchase if the chosen car didn't have oem GPS for the antennas to be in place, and bluetooth etc, so I think your '£1000' level needs to be increased somewhat !!

It's a great 'wow' project for sure, but it's got very little value for money once all done. I'd be much more interested if the 'whole job' could be done for around £1000. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Yeah, there's an element of risk, but look at the reward :)

Bluetooth is simple to fit as the antenna just plugs into the back of the NBT. GPS antennas also a piece of cake. 

Yes, I remember the Hauligan thing - but to give the guy some credit, he really knows his stuff. 

Yes, I remember the Hauligan thing - but to give the guy some credit, he really knows his stuff. 

he might know his stuff but if his track record's iffy and something doesn't work that'd be a lot of money to be out of pocket by...

Piper, how easy would this be to fit? Or to put it another way, much beer would I need to buy you to help me fit this!

Haven't got a clue, but it doesn't look too hard.

Once I've had a go I'll let you know, but start planning on robbing that Coors lorry now!

Price wise, anyone with Nav already should be able to clear a fair amount for all their old parts.

Plus I've got the Intravee and Alpine DAB I can shift. Hmmmm

Edited by inkiboo

Hi

Chris - I don't see there being much of a reward for doing this retrofit. Anyone with a base spec E39 will get a lot of features but the price is extremely high considering a double DIN head unit at around £300-500 will provide pretty much all the modern functionality you'd actually need. Sure, the NBT when/if fully working will give you oem OBC which after market unit's can't do. Besides that, there's no actual 'useful' gain. Anyone with an E39 with OBC doesn't then even gain that, so apart from a new BMW interface, there's no 'value add' or 'features add' for £1600-2750. 

Baus - Exactly, the modules will be 'used' and 2nd hand, although 'most' of the integration works, it's still not 100% so the chances of having to spend ages coding or trying something and waiting for new firmware etc is higher as seen on the US thread. At this level of spend, id expect everything to 100% work with nothing else extra to do.

Inkiboo - I think 'physical' fitment will be easy. It's the quality of physical finishing with the bezels and controller location mount and the coding/firmware updating that'll be where time and effort will be needed. The reason is that 'most' BMW owners want a nice stealth or very well integrated 'look' to anything done to their cars. I agree, if you have an E39 with the oem satnav/widescreen, then selling all that off will help subsidise the cost element. 

Good luck to those guys who give it a go here in the UK, I'll watch build any threads with interest!

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi

Chris - I don't see there being much of a reward for doing this retrofit. Anyone with a base spec E39 will get a lot of features but the price is extremely high considering a double DIN head unit at around £300-500 will provide pretty much all the modern functionality you'd actually need. Sure, the NBT when/if fully working will give you oem OBC which after market unit's can't do. Besides that, there's no actual 'useful' gain. Anyone with an E39 with OBC doesn't then even gain that, so apart from a new BMW interface, there's no 'value add' or 'features add' for £1600-2750. 

Baus - Exactly, the modules will be 'used' and 2nd hand, although 'most' of the integration works, it's still not 100% so the chances of having to spend ages coding or trying something and waiting for new firmware etc is higher as seen on the US thread. At this level of spend, id expect everything to 100% work with nothing else extra to do.

Inkiboo - I think 'physical' fitment will be easy. It's the quality of physical finishing with the bezels and controller location mount and the coding/firmware updating that'll be where time and effort will be needed. The reason is that 'most' BMW owners want a nice stealth or very well integrated 'look' to anything done to their cars. I agree, if you have an E39 with the oem satnav/widescreen, then selling all that off will help subsidise the cost element. 

Good luck to those guys who give it a go here in the UK, I'll watch build any threads with interest!

Cheers, Dennis!

Negative Nelly.

Rich_D likes this

Negative Nelly.

Hi Chris, 

I'm not being negative..  just pointing out the very little value for doing this project given the price and non 100% guarantee it'll all work properly and correctly! It's a massive price tag for next to nil gain. It's got massive 'cool factor' and 'wow factor' elements though!

Cheers, Dennis!

mattjk likes this

Next to nil gain?!?!??!

OEM Professional Media with bluetooth, DAB, Connected Drive, full MFSW control, full OBC and DSP integration, DVD, USB, hard drive storage, DTV on a 10.2" screen? Currently a £4k option on new F10s? Also has the option of seemless integration with genuine F10 rear screens?

This, in my £1.2k 19 year old E38:

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/technology_guide/articles/navigation_system.html

This puts your beloved double din systems to shame. BOOM!

Edited by Piper

Hi,

Chris - Bluetooth, multimedia, Digital Radio, steering wheel controls, disk playback, hard drive storage, digital TV are all available on double DIN head units. OBC integration is one plus point for the NBT. The DSP setup in the E39's etc isn't anything owners want as the church and stadium effects went out of fashion in the late 90's and generally is mediocre sound quality at best. 

To make some aspects of connected drive work like active cruise, Driver assistance and automated driving, I think you'd need to spend multiple thousands of pounds extra to have all that work. That leaves just the 'apps' within the 'Connected Drive' family, many of which you can get on an aftermarket head unit too. 

Another 'plus' point for the NBT system is having a 'modern BMW interface' on the screen, so that's 2 aspects unique to the NBT currently. I don't think collectively it's worth spending £1600-2750 or so on these two items of gain. However, you do and perhaps a handful of others as well. That's fine, if you feel the 'cool' factor is worth that much to have!

Once you do get everything together for your project along with anyone else in your proposed group buy, take good pictures and do a detailed writeup please !!

Cheers, Dennis! 

I'm no sure how you worked out that it will be between £1600 to £2750 - that is complete guesswork. I can see why you irritated the guys on Bimmerforum.

Hi Chris,

If you aren't sure, then I suggest you re-read response number 13 in this thread!

There was one guy irritated on the other forum thread. Some posts were removed at the time, and the site moderator and admins have the information needed.

Cheers, Dennis!