ss

F10 530D Diagnostic tool?

The car is 2010 f10 530 d

which is the best tool for diagnostics?

Are these ones any good on ebay   :?: confused.gif

eBay item number:

or eBay item number:

They are generic and of limited use and if they only display generic P codes that can often lead you up a blind alley

You actually just need a cheap Enet cable and then something oem like Esys for coding and INPA (aka Rheingold) for diags

typical cable:- UK seller about £20, similar cable from China half that

I bought mine from china it came with 6 DVDS the cable was fine but all the DVDs were corrupted though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-OBD2-ENET-F-SERIE-Diagnostic-Cable-UK-E-SYS-INPA-ISTA-EDIABAS-/171939574458?hash=item280865b2ba:g:2dYAAOSwo0JWKT2m

Disclaimer ;)

**bearing in mind  Ebay is now probably the biggest unpoliced fencing operation in the world for pirated and stolen goods, here is some software that may or may not be genuine....**

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Diagnostics-ISTA-D-P-ICOM-RHEINGOLD-Software-Latest-Version-Uk-Seller-/231728267215?hash=item35f414bfcf:g:2ZEAAOSw0HVWAn87

Or for the bells and whistles approach

an Icom clone and again typically these also all come in from China so again half the price if you order from abroad.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ICOM-A2-B-C-For-BMW-Diagnostic-Programming-Tool-With-Wifi-Support-V-2015-6-/231718623637?hash=item35f3819995:g:2s4AAOSwMmBVpAn4

I have a Enet cable and so far it has been adequate for my needs

I used it to code the OBC speedo with Esys and to read and generate my personal map FSC codes by using an excellent bit of genuinely free software written by a member of the car technology forum called dr.gini

http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=7023

Dr.gine can also display fault codes but the output is not that user friendly compared to the oem software

The gauges screen is cool though!

Edited by Alexak

A quick update on the Dr.Gini tool

Today I connected my laptop to my car and obtained the relevant FSC code which was calculated using the Dr.Gini tool, I then successfully updated my CIC maps with Western Europe Premium 2016-1

I also kicked off a INPA diags session and noticed a couple of EGR errors in amongst several red herrings which may explain why the car had a hissy fit a few days ago and came up with a "engine degraded" type message until I recycled the ignition.

I have a sneaky feeling I may need to give that valve a good clean soon as I bet if past experience with previous cars is anything to go by that they get quite gunked up.

Carly for BMW is an option. 

Thus uses your phone and a dongle you must buy from them. Costs around under £100 all in. Very compact and easy to use. 

I used to use INPA etc but this does enough for me now. 

Carly is a subscription service now isn't it? Something like £60 a year? I was intending on getting it when I bought my f11, but at that price for the limited use I'll need it for it's simply too expensive. The old one of cost would have been bearable. 

I’ve only ever used ISTA on a laptop with an ENET cable for diagnostics and wouldn’t change nor spend money on the 3rd party options. (But that’s me). ISTA gives you much more information than the dongle and phone app combinations such as the mileage a specific fault is thrown. 

I have the Foxwell NT510 BMW/Mini/Rolls Royce scanner and found it very good it paid for itself on first use in anger, which was on my wife’s mini cooper d 1.6 it identified two faulty glow plugs, and faulty control unit, the only problem I have noticed sometimes it does not automatically read the vin number on the mini, and you have to input the number in manually, but strangely it reads my F11 vin number automatically every time, for the first 1 ½ years you get free updates for any newer model BMW/Mini’s also it updates added new features across the range, after 1 ½ years has expired the scanner still works the same but will no longer received updates for newer models etc, but you can pay £60 to receive further updates, you are also able to purchase for £60 downloadable access to different makes of vehicle ie Ford, or Vauxhall, etc, which makes this a cost effective scanner for those with different makes of vehicle in the family.

If anyone decides to buy of Ebay avoid the seller djwwautodiagnostics despite the advertisement for support he doesn’t provide one. Mine turned up full of faults and didn’t notice in time.

My Carly isn’t subscription. 

Just bought the dongle from their web site  then got the app from the App Store. 

A few pounds for some extras if you if you want them but that’s it. It is basic compared to inpa etc but it’s easy to use. 

I use a D-Can cable (from Cableshack) with INPA and Ediabas (ToolSet32) for error code reading, and it works perfectly. It's no good for coding though, you need an Esys cable & software for that.

I dislike Carly for error codes, it's never quite clear & there's never enough detail.

Edited by BFleming