BigMo

530D Intercooler Fitment

6 posts in this topic

I removed my number a few days ago and replaced the aux fan. For some reason the intercooler has been cable tied together as can be seen in the photo. I have checked real oem and I think I need 2x part number 6 in order to secure the intercooler into its correct position. Does this sound right?

post-54710-0-59276000-1445259351_thumb.j

post-54710-0-73573200-1445259366_thumb.j

Really appreciatte the reply. What part of the shroud would normally be damaged?

Mo

Well there could be any kind of damage if those clips are already broken. They don't break by themselves so likely somebody has previously removed the intercooler causing the damage. Let's hope it's just those clips.

The bottom of the shroud seems fine so I can only assume someone broke the clips while removing them or misplaced them. The car had a new turbo by a previous owner about 30,000 miles ago so the intercooler may have been taken off then. I agree with what your saying and hope it's just the clips as changing the whole shroud looks like a pain of a job. I have ordered the clips from Cotsworld.

Mo

Slight update on this, tried to fit the intercooler in its bracket using the clips I had purchased from bmw and it just wouldn't go. The intercooler was too deep to fit within the space available. After checking online it turns out it's actually got an e60 intercooler in there. I know the turbo was replaced around 40,000 miles ago and I assume when the original failed it ended up filling the intercooler with oil and whoever replaced it used what was available. 

Managed to source an original second hand unit with both pipes for £40 so should have that fitted this weekend and hopefully get rid of all the cable ties!