MikeTheSmith

M50B30 Stroker vs M52B28

So I would think that putting more than 230 through that standard ix could cause some issues. There must have been a reason that they limited it, unless it was just due to the climate and conditions that most of the ix's were sold in. Was it just the engine and suspension that was up-rated on the allrad? - just using the standard diffs

Alpina Allrads use the standard 4wd iX system.  Mike, I am pretty sure that you will be fine with a M54B30 conversion especially in an auto as the transfer box and props are heavier duty than the manual which is what the Allrads were, the 5HP18 gearbox is good up to 300bhp and BMW always over engineered major components of this era.

Just thought I would see if I could find out more about the engine.  From http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144610

"The most interesting thing about this car is that it has an M50 3.0l engine making 243hp(SAE). Enduro's engine had an 86mm bore and an 85mm stoke, making it very similar to the US-Spec S50B30."

From Wikipedia, the S50B30 had an output of 282bhp and 320Nm of torque, so the M50B30 in the Enduro was probably producing around 280 Nm of torque.if you pro-rata it in comparison to the S50B30 (320Nm) and M50TUB25 (245Nm) using the Bhp differences.

That said, an M54B30 produces 300Nm so if Spiceboy is right, an M50B30 using M54 internals will produce more than 300Nm.  As Duncan says, probably not best to do a full bore standing start.

Edited by Dongiov

I saw yours last week, in bits. Definitely an iX and definitely a Generation 2.

Cheers I knew it was an ix. More I didn't recall much in the way of electric wizardry.

Sounds like something that needs to be done to me, it would certainly make the ix more entertaining. I share the concerns about taking apart a good engine and being able to build one well enough though. I'd like to do the work myself as much for my own learning and curiosity than anything else, although the engine does have 190k on it now and has its fair share of drips - whats the worse that could happen :razz: . I have another 525i for using while doing the work, although since running on LPG it pains me to use petrol. I would also have to look into the capacity of the lpg system and whether it can fuel a bigger engine properly. I'll try and get some prices for parts together to fuel the pipe dream.

So then... time to resurrect this thread as i'm now doing this, but as usual out of my depth and learning on the job.
I've got the engine out of the ix and stripped down now and have the M54B30 rotating assembly. It has taken AGES to get this far, but that's life. I'm in the process of checking out some engine shops now and getting together a shopping list of what is next.

At the moment I haven't done anything with the head other than take it off. The cams are still in with the valves. What is it worth doing to this? I'm tempted to leave it as is, but I feel like I should at least replace the valve stem seals.

For some reason I cant seem to find any M54B30 piston rings on any of the usual car parts sites - are there any good/bad brands of these?

It looks like the next steps are to get the rotating assembly balanced and the block honed and faced. Am I missing something? - do I need to do anything to the crank before getting this done?

you want the crank journals checked to see if they are still in spec for standard sized shells. You'll want new piston rings so forget the old ones.   RE head, replacing the stem seals is a must, the cams and valve gear don't really wear out.  I'd re seat the valves with grinding paste or get the machine shop to check and them to do it.  Also check the valve guides normally exhaust ones wear first as they get a hard time. 

Balancing the bottom end is a nice touch to do, 

Doing the assembly correctly is no easy task!