MikeTheSmith

M50B30 Stroker vs M52B28

You'll probably find the older 2.5 exhaust will be less restrictive overall than the new type systems. There isn't any scope for the manifold as the head ports match the size. You could go after market with the exhaust to free up some ponies but I wouldn't think it would make any real world difference.

So what is needed to build a 3.0 M50?

M54 crank and Pistons

New bearing shells

New piston rings

New head bolts

Remap

Just wondering where the costs come from really? So is it all of the May as well do while I'm here items?

That's pretty much it with the addition of the M54 Conrods. ;)

Engine mounts maybe should be put on the list.

Dont forget the while the engine is out jobs like freeze plugs, seals, gaskets, paint, etc

You can easily run up a few hundred quid in gaskets and seals alone.

A couple of hundred on chains and guides

Plus when fitting new rings you should hone the bores at the very least, if the bores are excessively worn or scored you could end up needing oversize rings and/or pistons.

It's not a cheap, easy job to do properly and you have to start out confident that you can build the engine to a similar standard to how BMW built it else it's going to have leaks or reliability niggles.

I'd love to do it but I'm loath to break open a perfectly good M50 so it may end up being one of thse 'one day...' things. Certainly if my engine blew a gasket or something I'd be subbing in 2.8 or 3.0 parts.

James, I agree but it helps to have a 70K non vanos engine off an auto that has already been taken apart so that decision has already been made for me (abandoned E30 project).  The non vanos in the iX at the moment has done 218K and really could do with a new HG.  So the plan is to do the 70K and then put it in, setting aside the other engine just in case.

you want the stock M52 manifolds, they flow enough for 300bhp. Better than the cast iron shite the M50's are saddled with

Thing is a 2.8 M52 with a m50 inlet will do 225bhp with no remap or US spec M3 cams which get them upto 240bhp easily. 

you want the stock M52 manifolds, they flow enough for 300bhp. Better than the cast iron shite the M50's are saddled with

Thing is a 2.8 M52 with a m50 inlet will do 225bhp with no remap or US spec M3 cams which get them upto 240bhp easily. 

You mean exhaust manifolds?

They don't fit. Steering box is in the way. However, if it's being done on an iX then they might actually fit!

They don't fit. Steering box is in the way. However, if it's being done on an iX then they might actually fit!

iX front and rear manifolds are common to the E36 M3.  Got to be a good start.

iX front and rear manifolds are common to the E36 M3. Got to be a good start.

In that case then you're good to go, just check that the flanges (he he) on the downpipe mate to the exhaust section :-)

the alpina engine was good for a conservative 250bhp but for the iX alpina knocked it back to 230 - thats plenty to get even a lardy iX going. They're a bit underpowered with the 2.5 imo

So I would think that putting more than 230 through that standard ix could cause some issues. There must have been a reason that they limited it, unless it was just due to the climate and conditions that most of the ix's were sold in. Was it just the engine and suspension that was up-rated on the allrad? - just using the standard diffs

Wasn't the ix, in effect, a development mule for the x5 though? Would think it has a bit more headroom than 230bhp presuming you keep the wheels front to rear rolling radius' the same and avoid full bore standing starts.

BMW themselves built one 3L iX, the 530i X Enduro.  Photos below.

It had a raised roof so you could put bicycles inside and keep them upright. 

The car still exists, it's in the BMW museum.

post-40085-0-92063500-1445329159_thumb.j

post-40085-0-85181600-1445329231_thumb.j

post-40085-0-71460900-1445329236_thumb.j

post-40085-0-70781700-1445329243_thumb.j

post-40085-0-23492300-1445329253_thumb.j

post-40085-0-77815700-1445329265_thumb.j

post-40085-0-07661700-1445329274_thumb.j

post-40085-0-48179400-1445329293_thumb.j

post-40085-0-73812200-1445329304_thumb.j

Engine appears to be a single vanos 3L. It has the earlier non vanos MAF though so this engine is probably one of the first single vanos engines made.

In response to Bumbaclut's comment, the iX was the first electronically controlled 4wd system that BMW developed, there were two types of iX, one with the rear electro hydraulic diff (Generation 1), the second with an open rear diff and wheel speed controlled by the ABS system (Generation 2) which is what MikeTheSmith has.  BMW then developed the 4WD system further, called it X drive and that's what is in the X ranges.

I see from the photos that the 530iX has the electro hydraulic accumulator in the engine bay so that's a Generation 1 iX.

Edited by Dongiov

Interesting thought, if BMW had built a 3L single vanos M50 i6 engine back in the early 90's, why didn't they put it into production? Presumably it clashed with the M60 range and so emerged as the S50B30.

Edited by Dongiov