Bazza65

Engine cutting out on 520i (2002) - anyone had a similar fault?

On my third - and newest - E39, a 2002 520i auto (110,000 miles on clock) which has run like velvet until today .....

It's had the usual warning light on-off show for a few months but they've only been ABS/DSC lights so when the engine warning light came on a couple of days ago (came on from cold, not while running) but the car started and ran as normal, I thought I could ignore iot for a few days till I could get it checked.

However, today it had a rough idle when waiting at a couple of junctions and on a hill (tried shifting to neutral - revs went up a bit but still rough).

Then, as I turned into my road, it cut out altogether. Coasted to the side, switched off and then started again. Ran OK until I put it in gear and then it cut out again. Did this a couple of times until it ran long enough to get into my drive.

Have started it since (starts OK, sounds OK) and backed it in and out a couple of times, but as I'm on a busy road I didn't want to risk going for a proper drive in case it stopped in the middle of the road.

Anyone encountered anything similar? Apart from the warning light, the only other thing wrong is that it has a bit of an oil weep from the rocker cover, which is a common fault, and I check the oil every week.

And yes there is petrol in it!

Would be grateful for any tips! Cheers.

Edited by Bazza65

I'd check your rubber air intake boots either side of the MAF.

I had a split it on after the maf and it caused the car to stall a few times.

Thanks Mike - will check when it's light again!

I also found this on the buying guide at the top of the forum - does this sound like a possibilty?

* If M54 engine management light comes on could be faulty throttle housing plug on later cars (requiring new engine wiring loom) or split crankcase breather hose or split diaphragm in cyclone separator on earlier cars.

Ccv and associated pipe work can cause oil consumption issues, but I've not experienced stalling issues (and have replaced 2 full ccv systems).

Rubber boots check first.

Thanks both,

Have found a split rubber hose leading to the large rubber tube that connects to the air filter box - hopefully you can see it in the attached pic.

Is that what you meant, Mike?

And, what do I need to remove to get at it? Does the inlet manifold (if that's what it is!) above it need to come off?

I found the part on RealOEM and there are some pretty cheap ones on eBay - eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371416176598?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true. The make is Febi Bilstein which sounds OK.

Many thanks for all your help with this one.

post-45142-0-52808300-1444562150_thumb.j

Edited by Bazza65

Also, if the problem has been evident when about half full of petrol its possible you have the problem where the fuel is all in one half of the tank but nothing gets to the fuel system.

You can try and add a few gallons so its comfortably over half full to eliminate this

First thing though is to read the codes and see if any useful information comes up.

AIr leaks are a good suggestion but Id also suspect cam/crank sensors as well, you really need to have a fault code to diagnose these

Also failing crankshaft and camshaft sensors have been known to cause stalling issues.

Yep, exactly the symptom and fix on mine a couple of years ago.

Yes that's the ones.

Both boots either side of the MAF are around £18 each from the dealers.

I didn't even bother looking elsewhere to be honest, Halliwell Jones is round the corner from my house!

I've replaced both on mine, one about 3 years ago, the other more recently.

It's a fiddly job, but not that difficult.

You need to undo the air box (one big hose clamp and a bolt)

unplug the maf sensor, undo the hose near where it goes under the inlet manifold and pull the whole lot out.

Whereabouts in Lancs are you? I'm in Southport.

Whereabouts in Lancs are you? I'm in Southport.

Bloody hell, small world isn't it department! I'm in Southport too - just near Lathoms bakery by Meols Cop bridge. Must have seen your car around at some time!

Cheers for the help - I still need to get the fault codes checked as the mechanic I go to - BH Autos on Cemetery Rd - has already started tracking down some issues I've got with ABS and aircon.

But as the hose clearly has a hole in it, that's got to be the likely culprit. I wrapped a bit of gaffer tape round the hole as best I could this morning and the car started and ran perfectly but the warning light is still on.

Will let you know how I get on - and will look out for you now! Mine's Titan Silver with Style 48 wheels. Got it six months ago from Steve Newman near the Thatch mainly because he offered me a very good trade in price on my old V reg 520i manual, It looks smart and the interior and exterior had been reasonably well looked after, but there was no service history so I took a bit of a punt.

It sometimes takes a few start ups for the light to clear, but of course, it could be another issue.

I'm due to get Jimmy to load inpa and other software onto my net book soon, so that will help with diagnostics.

If you need a hand with your intake hose fitting, let me know. Happy to help.

My car is velvet blue, looks a bit purpley.
18 paras.
Excuse the grey primer on the back valance, I'm due to paint it 'soon' lol.
I'm around town quite a bit.

Edited by mike77

Cheers for your help Mike - it was the hose and all done for £59 at BH Autos. Would have had a go myself but needed the car asap.

Now I just need to sort the leaking cam cover gasket! Don't suppose you've ever done one of those have you? :razz:

Thanks again mate - will look out for you.

Glad you're sorted.

The gasket isn't all that difficult.

I've done it on my current and previous car.

You just need to take the coil packs out and undo electrical connectors etc.

Once you're in there, clean up the metal surface, add a bit of sealant and replace gasket.

Depending how old your gasket is, it may be very brittle like plastic and it's a bit of a faff

to remove it all.

Check no bits have fallen off that could make their way around the engine.

Does your e28 get out and about much Steve? I'm sure I've seen one around a couple of times, but can't remember what it was.

Southport bmw club anyone?!

Edited by mike77

It's a 528 manual in Lachs Mike most were automatics, doesn't get used much over the summer due to work commitments I'm time poor, I will shortly retax it and take her out for a run just for the joy of driving it, oh, and to burn the rust back of the disc's.

I wonder how many more BMW5's are based in Southport, anyone else?

VERY small world, Steve! I wondered if it was you when I saw the list of your cars.

We both know of at least one more 5 series - opposite you!

When I had the old 523 and the blue 520 at the same time, there were five in the space of about 30 yards!

Edited by Bazza65