Fairlight

I'm considering a 7 Series, advice needed

Hi,

I'm seriously considering getting myself an F01 7 Series (maybe an E65 at a push) and was hoping you could help me with the do's and don'ts and in's and out's when buying these.

I like gadgets so would love an example that had everything (I am unsure what was standard and what are options). I also don't mind big petrol engine versions unless there are any genuine reasons to avoid these. I see a lot that look fantastic outside and I get excited until I see the inside... I only like black leather interior and titanium trim. Most I see have grey leather, which (and sorry if this offends anyone) I hate, and wood trim. Some of these, IMO, look like "old mans" cars but there are some superb examples that look the part.

Although I'm keen to hear anything relevant, I'm more interested in learning about maintenance and servicing costs... what to look out for when buying at particular ages / miles, etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers,

Peter

Me too although I'll be looking at maybe getting one next summer. A 730d msport or a 740d msport is what I'm after and budget wise I'm limited to around 14k so anything around the 2010 model year.

Coming from an E60 530d msport so i know what to get done early, i.e. swirl flaps etc but was wondering if the 7 series suffer from the same DPF issues which are caused by the lack of regens due to failed thermostats etc?

8 minutes ago, kjb1 said:

Swirl flaps are a totally different design to that of e60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting, so an all new design that don't break off and get sucked through the engine. My E60 had the so called later style flaps too which were the ones with the jacket around them as opposed to the bare metal ones. I removed them anyway for peace of mind.

Are the 7 series ones an even newer design still?

different manifold altogether I think. They are located further away from ingestion issues. My father has one and looked into having flaps done, but our BMW mechanic told us it's a totally different design and he's yet to see any issues with them.

I was here a few months ago. I almost bought an F10, but bought a 58 plate 730d. It's way way better than a 5. Black with black leather (wood trim), Msport facelift with TVs in headrests,chipped and fully loaded. It was 10k, and apart from immediate electrical nightmares which turned out to need a new alternator and battery, it's such an enjoyable car. Admittedly it is better chipped.

With these, you've got to be able to afford to run them and expect things - usually electrics to be an issue.

My only advice would be to buy the latest model possible because most early model gremlins are ironed out (which is why for a little more money, I swerved the newer 2008 model). Low mileage and the best you can afford to buy.

I've driven 10k miles in it already and bought it to stick miles on, but I love it. I'm glad I didn't buy a 5.

I'm still here because I own an E39, but definitely worth hunting a decent one down.

That's interesting, so an all new design that don't break off and get sucked through the engine. My E60 had the so called later style flaps too which were the ones with the jacket around them as opposed to the bare metal ones. I removed them anyway for peace of mind.

Are the 7 series ones an even newer design still?

I've heard they have the same problem

I've heard they have the same problem

Ive not heard of any failure. You have the e65 version, F01 different.

What about thermostat/DPF issues i.e. failed stats leaving them stuck open and blocked DPF's?

Nothing is going to stop a failed thermostat, so still no doubt the same, just look at coolant temps every now and then.

3 hours ago, kjb1 said:

Nothing is going to stop a failed thermostat, so still no doubt the same, just look at coolant temps every now and then.

Actually yeah, just remembered, the 7's have a coolant temp gauge, unlike the 5's so would be an easy one to spot.