rincewind

Cleaning leather

Hi all,

I'm picking up a Champagne II at the weekend.  The drivers seat is pretty good but I'd like to give it a good clean.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't need re dying. 

What do people use for this?

Cheers

Paul

Try babywipes first of all, they are great for removing dirt. If they require a deeper clean then a good APC and a damp microfiber will do the trick. Finish off with Gliptone Liquid Leather Cleaner followed by Gliptone Leather Conditioner. ;)

C.

Anytime Paul.

I've had a Champagne Interior myself in the past and you may find that the drivers seat looks a little tired after a thorough clean, if so a scuffmaster kit from our forum sponsor Bespoke Leathering is the way to go. Good luck and fingers crossed its only dirt and minimal wear. ;)

C.

I'd be wary of baby wipes myself. They're actually pretty aggressive and if your interior has been dyed in the past you may find them lifting the dye (I speak from experience after my 3 year old cleaned some of the seat which, unbeknownst to me, had previously been re-dyed. It's now been done properly!).

Anytime Paul.

I've had a Champagne Interior myself in the past and you may find that the drivers seat looks a little tired after a thorough clean, if so a scuffmaster kit from our forum sponsor Bespoke Leathering is the way to go. Good luck and fingers crossed its only dirt and minimal wear. ;)

C.

Paul, good advice from CableGuy. I did the same. I had to send a sample piece  of leather so they could colour match. I took it from and excess area of the rear, centre armrest.

Takes a bit of patience but you'll get there. ;)

Thanks Anil.  Just prior to seeing this I asked John of Bespoke Leathering.  I recon I need the kit with the dye so I'll be snipping a bit from the rear centre armrest as per your advice.  I've only found 2 other issues.  Door mirrors not retracting and the washer system is leaking.  Posted about both and already getting great advice.  Gotta love this forum.

Paul

I used white spirit/turps sparingly but later used a product called Elbow Grease (detergent form pound shops) in a 50/50 dilution with water.

Comparing these two, I'd go with the later. It's safer but still aggressive. Leave you windows open to dry and then I went with a warm wet microfibre to get rid of any residue. Be careful with microfibres, as they are aggressive also.

Gently does it ;-) ;-)

Post 21

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/73702-nearly-10-year-old-champagne/?hl=alpinas#entry763085

APC = All Purpose Cleaner = Elbow grease

https://just99.co.uk/products/05912-00,elbow-grease-solvent-free-all-purpose-degreaser-cleaner-fabric-plastic-metals?sos=googleps&gclid=CPLhzYSbt8cCFYLnwgodP1YKbA

Edited by AnilS

A good alround leather clean is Auto Glym leather cleaner ... use with a brush and let dry naturally no fuss...it’s also brilliant on your leather sofa at home, but for them days your really doing a good deep clean... pick up Zymol leather cleaner and finish with Zaino Z10 Leather in a bottle.. smells amazing and leaves leather feeling like new.