Niall_farley

E39 brake pedal sinking

As above :( this time it's my car a e39 sport. Luckily first problem with the car I have had after nearly 3 years.

So used the car yesterday and was fine all except the brake pedal felt a little bit like it was rubbing on something while been depressed not when applied tho only during the pedals movement

Anyway today I set off to work via the petrol station pull in and go to brake slightly to turn in then slow down for pumps however i ended up entering the garage at 30 and carrying on going and nearly rear ending the poor girl filling her vw polo.

The brake pedal still feels like it's rubbing on depression and it goes very nearly to the carpet.... Brakes still work well just only when fully depressed

when was the fluid  last changed should be   (every 2 years )  if it was low you could have air in system now ?  so time for a full flush and change maybe

Hi,

As said above it may have air in it now and need bleeding.

Question is though, where did the fluid go?

Cheers,

Gavin:)

The symptoms you describe are classic air in the system. How did it get in there? Have any component been replaced recently (sounds not).

If you have lost fluid then there is a leak that you need to find (before you drive...). The fluid being very low is evidence of this and if low enough air will always get into the system.

Classic DIY brake bleeding is not always effective on ABS equipped cars as air can be trapped in the ABS module if there has been a major fluid loss.

You therefore need a pressure bleeder to force the fluid and air through.

Try an indépendant who knows what they are doing rather than any of the speed fit type guys, unless they assure you they know what they are doing.

As above; I'd say you have a leak or the servo is failing :(

I know you've recently had a clear MOT, but that's not to say something perished/split or a stones flicked up and pierced a line etc... Can easily happen!

Car needs to be up on ramps ASAP to get the system checked over, it's dangerous driving it round as it is IMO!