F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Drove up a snow covered hill that nobody else had driven on with little issue and down snow and slush covered back roads with ease.

Absolutely amazed at how well winter tyres work in relatively thick snow on an automatic RWD car. Can’t recommend Dunlop Wintersport 3DS enough!

I moved mine today (was blocked in on my driveway) in three inches of snow, I could feel the rears spin ever so slightly but thanks to the 

5 hours ago, Big A said:

Dunlop Wintersport 3DS

on mine it kept going. Similar snow depths in the street which is on a slight incline in previous years would have had me slithering and spinning in the non winter tyred E60.

Certainly an advantage to having them in these rare days where there is actually snow on the ground.

This was the conditions that the Dunlop Wintersports contended with, with no issues at all.

C3_CB6781-_FEF5-48_A8-_B626-45_C53_EC4_E

DEFBBB73-6_ABD-4459-_AA0_D-_D59_C73_B7_E

And back home home safe and sound.

AA1_D9_C87-1_D69-40_E7-_B89_D-705_DD41_D

Filled up with some VPower and topped up the screenwash in preparation for being out tomorrow for some site visits for work.

Read thru the 15 pages of this thread

and @Matthew Ashton very informative thread again

and then looked at the access in my engine bay for hopefully doing the task this weekend.

image.jpg

It looks quite straight forward from the top down.  I found the four bolts and what looks like on my acoustic panel a 5th  bolt hole but reading back others have this too without a bolt in it so that's ok.  Some small trace of staining on the bulkhead below the panel so I wonder what lurks beneath!

This forum and its members have put a terrific amount of info up here regarding this which makes it so much easier to understand in advance of getting the spanners, well Torx bits, out this weekend.

I thank you all.

22 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

in preparation for being out tomorrow for some site visits for work.

Drove best part of 70 faultless miles in it today, the only thing I noticed was the rear suspension dropped 20mm with this lot in the boot.

image.jpg

Mair wid!

29 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Good job you have decent tyres... 

Yup, the Dunlop Winter Sport3Ds were needed today as the site I was on was really muddy.;)

The "decent" tyres are in the garage for their winter hibernation.:D

47 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Nice interim oil and filter change (8k miles) using the bargain 5w-30 ll04 Castrol C3 at £4 for 2L that i cleared from Tescos shelves before Christmas!  

Out of interest do you then mark this up in your service book?

And I take it you do not reset anything on your idrive?

I kept meaning to do an interim on mine last October......

Don't have a servicebook, although  i might be able to use Carly to add a service record in iDrive but i dont as I'll get another change when its due its official service. Adding an oil change in idrive would just push it back. 

What i do is to markup the receipt for the filter etc with the mileage and date and keep it in the file for the car along with the other paperwork. Will just  highlight this to any future private  buyer. 

Edited by SuperDave

13 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

What i do is to markup the receipt for the filter etc with the mileage and date and keep it in the file for the car along with the other paperwork. Will just  highlight this to any future private  buyer. 

Yeah that's all I would do, but when my last E60 was handed over with a huge wad of receipts, I doubt they made it to the next owner, somehow....

20 minutes ago, Big A said:

Had gearbox service and software update.

Interesting, where did you get that done and if you don't mind, how much?

Have you noticed a difference in how the 'box performs?

My light has just come on this evening, I filled it up on Monday but I've done 700 miles so not bad in these conditions, a mare when the roads are just a bit wet. 

Yesterday did a return trip to Poole to give a friend's new boat a once over before it is shipped to Crete ready for the summer. 270 mile round trip 46.8mpg average and the car drives beautifully just as it did 7 years ago when I bought it. Here's a picture of the boat for those interested:

IMG_6361.JPG.d5b529995170ea5684f1b81059f640bc.JPG

Today I remove each of the wheels in turn to do a physical check of the brakes to give me peace of mind for our upcoming ski trip to France. Pleased to say the front pads still have over 8.5mm of material on them after 35000 miles. the rears are down to 5mm but still some way off replacement. I cleaned each wheel inside and out (easy with them off the car) using Bilt Hamber's auto wheel and then a polish with Autoglym Super Resin Polish. They came up a treat but there is substantial corrosion on the inside.   

The car on the jack

IMG_6396.thumb.JPG.4a4c66a7aff35224be62c101beb584e4.JPG

Using my lug guide bolts really help removing and reinstalling those heavy 19" wheels. (Bought in the US a few years ago from Reverse Logic Limited)

IMG_6397.thumb.JPG.44aa6e0ee6bde6b75f59544626f834b9.JPG

Shiny clean wheel

IMG_6395.thumb.JPG.bc75c3deefb7e555ebb7db59baa21f2d.JPG

Inside:

IMG_6394.thumb.JPG.63dae40d18550b52557191d00a3bd5c1.JPG

The corrosion close-up!

IMG_6393.thumb.JPG.6ffeb2ac022d79e7193000f19a17b414.JPG

My wheels inerds were refurbished by BMW after only three winters - they are starting to corrode again. 

Not a motor boat fan me - more of a raggy (sail boat for those who don't know) 

Vancouver 34.jpg

3 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Yesterday did a return trip to Poole to give a friend's new boat a once over before it is shipped to Crete ready for the summer. 270 mile round trip 46.8mpg average and the car drives beautifully just as it did 7 years ago when I bought it. Here's a picture of the boat for those interested:

IMG_6361.JPG.d5b529995170ea5684f1b81059f640bc.JPG

Smart looking boat - you did a good job.  Hope the beanie isn't needed in Crete!