F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Threw a snow shovel in the boot this morning.  Impressively I got this in the boot, without having to poke it thru the ski hatch, I'm fairly sure it was too long to fit in the E60 boot.

Bought 5L of genuine BMW screenwash, since reading the posts on here about other brands. Anyway, I've run out of screenwash so even the Panda will be getting BMW stuff ...

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

Had my power steering 'lightened'

Playing with settings in ISTA?

Mines too light and I've never liked it.  I really noticed how much lighter my dads 530d F10 was compared to my E60 when he first got his F10, my F10 is lighter again than my dads.

16 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Playing with settings in ISTA?

Mines too light and I've never liked it.  I really noticed how much lighter my dads 530d F10 was compared to my E60 when he first got his F10, my F10 is lighter again than my dads.

Nah, new tyres...

Guy at the tyre place was showing me his GTR, he's just had it mapped (inc injectors etc) to 750bhp. 

In the couple of years I've been going there he's had an M3, M4 and this is his second GTR, he's in his 50's and looks like he should be rummaging through bins, obviously money in tyres.

22 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Impressive!

I'm guessing pride was hurt more than flesh and bone?

That could have been my Volvo 245 on the Cricklade to Swindon road, passenger side down, police van following, copper said he couldn't understand what happened. Then went white as a sheet as I explained my 8 month pregnent wife was still in the passenger seat.

7 minutes ago, dwaind said:

That could have been my Volvo 245 on the Cricklade to Swindon road, passenger side down, police van following, copper said he couldn't understand what happened. Then went white as a sheet as I explained my 8 month pregnent wife was still in the passenger seat.

lol, it makes us the people we are today, my excuse was black ice...

I took my kids out in the snow the last time it laid here (both @ uni and only passed a few months ago so no experience) to give them some real world experience and to lessen the chance of them panicking when they drive on it in anger.

I think everyone should visit an empty, safe area to have experience so it's less likely to bite them in the arse.

Nah, new tyres...

Guy at the tyre place was showing me his GTR, he's just had it mapped (inc injectors etc) to 750bhp. 

In the couple of years I've been going there he's had an M3, M4 and this is his second GTR, he's in his 50's and looks like he should be rummaging through bins, obviously money in tyres.

Sounds like you are just paying too much for your tyres!

It's a small place that was recommended to me after I struggled to get my pug centreless wheels balanced properly by a couple of places including the dealer.

He did it spot on and although from the outside the place is not greatly appealing he has up to date kit and for an old guy (late 50's) he's a real petrol head and loves talking about his cars, he's also just bought a chav van and had it mapped.. 

tQGhh5ATkkpFiaC_QBIaw8JlnroCCMEAy_K4W_c5GBWDhxdq3K45T9AWTbrS_1vvbUsUXQ0wgy-gjGZecgZYhpPuogpZltVGCX9yfUgVnsa2ClSnpoWiIUqatub23Yn2Zuf0N-rQ-UhOw4HOpf7vMfyWet_ZL51BdoWLUspEOTO_aVNpie7f9jXOmQm_tdJOCzLrJqOqKlcnT2Jnha2J7n0WXo4aYuRdzqdclXdkrpiliSAV3vzuQdcOYD6g08kkHqcdCA_tP49sum2hYXM955AytElUH-ze33Q_xMsvcxuzQBe18Y5f7ncASUUnY7izf-k8pQE4ykPw5xQQQFOeWF2H7HdUFJmjKTUqhJKLiDIBmtn_DL1T9jLpvcO6r6_AGzuDT7_9MAeO9DUnWUUIbR982idpP8k-1G1Br6Mgir-_J180IwA3nPZkUaHzlK16-nDRrI9oO6_2zFojmtVz-bVgWCC73i9HLXVdKSbo6TNSIvYktjZQg8NIvqF5b8aITbGzyoXDVxA23SmftVEFZLbP_vYjX3BiQrd-rq4O93Jb3Wbii6tpYIViDf2lJenUIKAIzobI3v-iQJ4jAXCc6chK5KW24Z0F4TwZX_WP=w1165-h872-no

Place is always queuing and in the 40 or so minutes I waited yesterday I noted he mainly sold second hand tyres so maybe that's where the profit is. 

He's also just got a Nitrogen machine that his lad was trying to punt on me. 

Edited by sshooie

Was that Pug trying to keep it all in house I wonder? Only ever seen them on small Pugs a few years ago now. I could never understand their logic in doing it that way as very few places as you said could actually balance them.

Nitrogen filled tyres....hmmm. I'm content with only 78% of the air in my tyre being Nitrogen.

Drove in the snow with no problems.  Seriously impressed by my Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tyres.  Even went up untreated snow covered hills on side streets with little drama. 

4 minutes ago, Big A said:

Drove in the snow with no problems.  Seriously impressed by my Dunlop Winter Sport 3D tyres.  Even went up untreated snow covered hills on side streets with little drama. 

Just spoken to my gaffer who spent the night on a services near the M74 last night on his way up to Jockland.

He drives a 530 gt and says it was fine in the snow but the roads were blocked with HGV's

21 minutes ago, Big A said:

Likewise, my Dunlop 3Ds are great in the snow, very sure footed. But you still need to go canny as I felt a wiggle on a bend that had me clench in the E60 in the snow!

Just spoken to my gaffer who spent the night on a services near the M74 last night on his way up to Jockland.

He drives a 530 gt and says it was fine in the snow but the roads were blocked with HGV's

Yeah, there were a lot of HGV stuck on the M8 I heard, but I travel on the M74 on my way to work and it wasn't too bad, although guessing further down towards the borders it would be pretty bad.

48 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Likewise, my Dunlop 3Ds are great in the snow, very sure footed. But you still need to go canny as I felt a wiggle on a bend that had me clench in the E60 in the snow!

They're not the quietest winter tyre on dry roads, but are great in winter conditions.  I know what you mean about it wiggling though.  I turned up a usual side street on my way home which was uphill and pretty much undriven on and it did fishtail very slightly before the traction control cut in and then the tyres just gripped and pushed me up the hill no problem.  Even on hard compacted slush comping down hill they coped well even though the ABS was cutting in at only 5 MPH.

I left mine behind this morning as I got a lift in my mums F30 320i Xdrive shod with winters. We were able to safely pass a Nissan Micra spinning its wheels up on a slight incline.

Four wheel drive and winter tyres, great combination. 

Granted it's the first time in the three years she has owned it that she needed four wheel drive and winter tyres.......

I toy each year with buying a cheap 4x4, something like a subaru justy or rav 4, just for a bit of fun in the snow, but by the time I've looked it's melted. What snow do we get, 3-5 days per year? 

I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home so providing it snows before I go to work I'm fine. 

39 minutes ago, sshooie said:

What snow do we get, 3-5 days per year? 

Exactly.

So is having four wheel drive and winters worth it?

Not if like your gaffer and the road you are on is blocked by HGVs who have come to grief, no amount of winter tyres or 4x4 capability will help you out if you physically can't go anywhere.

But it will give piece of mind. And I accept that.

45 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Exactly.

So is having four wheel drive and winters worth it?

Not if like your gaffer and the road you are on is blocked by HGVs who have come to grief, no amount of winter tyres or 4x4 capability will help you out if you physically can't go anywhere.

But it will give piece of mind. And I accept that.

4x4 appeals to me for everyday sure footedness winter tyres less so, I had some brand new wheels and tyres and never used them.

4x4 appeals to me for everyday sure footedness winter tyres less so, I had some brand new wheels and tyres and never used them.

I remember you selling them as they are the same set up that I have.  Until this winter I never drove a car with winters in snow, but the water shedding abilities of winter tyres can be advantageous at this time of year.  I live in a particularly wet part of the world so find them useful but the best thing about them is they are far more forgiving in the potholed roads out my way with their 17" rims instead of my billiard table liking 19" rims.

Left it in the driveway again and went out in my mums F30. 

Nah not for me, no Xenons, no high beam assist, no flappy paddles on the steering wheel, no heated seats, no internal boot release, no option to combine/match each side of the heater controls, no speed limit function.  I use these lots in my F10.

But it does have pro nav, which I didn't need but mostly Xdrive which was reassuring in today's weather and winter tyres.

I'll stick to my F10, if I ever went to a three it would need to have loads of toys as I'm clearly spoilt in my F10!

I rarely use the paddles, rarely use hb asist and the first thing I do when the Mrs gets out is press the 'All' button to match the heating up on both sides.

Rarely use paddles, speed limiter, tailgate opening angle setting or self parking.

HUD is the best option that I originally thought to be a complete gimmick.

First car with heated seats and they've become an absolute basic necessity now and I forget how convenient the  auto dimming mirror  is, until I drive a car without it.

Self driving BMWs will become a welcome convenience once I become a dotard (in the next year or so). 

Being an ex-plod car my F11 is lacking in toys to start with... part of why I went for it. 

No leather - hot in summer, cold in winter... never liked it.

No nav - rarely used it in the E61.

Flat beam xenons - a must as I drive a lot over here and don't want to be messing about changing beam benders etc each time I cross La Manche.

Flappy paddles - use them quite a lot as these Germans seem to think driving is a competition... useful to be able to make quick gear selections.

Auto dimming RVM - I'm working on retrofitting that. Mostly waiting for better weather.

Power tailgate - surprised it was OEM on a Police vehicle, but once you get used to it, it's quite useful. Had to hunt out the angle setting though.

Self driving? Hell no! I like being able to enjoy driving the car right throughout it's performance range over here!