F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

16 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

The implication is that they should test it, even to the point of fitting the removable neck into the receiver.    Paragraph 5 of the method of inspection in the link below relates to swivelling towbars which mine is. 

http://www.ukmot.com/manual/6.6/Towbars#MOT

But on my dads F10 with the same bar as yours Matthew, the towbar is invisible when stood looking at it and depending on how observant the tech is when they are underneath it, they might not even notice the receiver!

Thanks for that Andrew,

So I'm ok because I don't drive around with the detachable swan neck attached but you aren't as they just need to press the button to swivel the towbar into it's usable position. They can also shine a torch up into the bumper cavity to make sure the mounting nuts are in place on the bar but nothing else. Then the electrics should be tested but I don't think mine have been tested during the 2 MOTs I've had since fitting my towbar.

I have had towbars on my last 5 cars (up to and excluding this one) and was never aware of any MOT checks.

I'd also like to bet a large percentage go unchecked.

12 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Thanks for that Andrew,

So I'm ok because I don't drive around with the detachable swan neck attached but you aren't as they just need to press the button to swivel the towbar into it's usable position. They can also shine a torch up into the bumper cavity to make sure the mounting nuts are in place on the bar but nothing else. Then the electrics should be tested but I don't think mine have been tested during the 2 MOTs I've had since fitting my towbar.

If your 'neck' is in the receiver they should check its security but if the 'neck' is in the boot I doubt they would insert it to test it.  My dad doesn't carry his 'neck' around, he keeps it in his caravan.

As you said earlier, its not hugely clear is it.

However the towbar wiring is quite clear. Link to towbar wiring check.

http://www.ukmot.com/manual/1.9/Electrical-Wiring-and-Battery#MOT

A 13 pin electrical socket is to be tested.

4 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I'd also like to bet a large percentage go unchecked.

Yup, you will be dead right.

I asked my local indy years ago if he checked my E60 which had a removable towbar when in for its MOT

His response was "didn't know you had one fitted" after glancing at my cars rear bumper!  Becasue he couldn't see it, he wasn't aware my car had one.

Edited by 535i Andrew

So when I sat down in front of the service advisor at the dealer last night the first thing I asked was how the headlights were adjusted as it had failed its MOT.  She looked like a rabbit in headlights.  The guy sat next to her who served me in the morning said they would have reset them using ISTA. They have done a few apparently.

Next question.

Can you confirm the 13 pin towbar socket was checked as part of the MOT?

She looked like a rabbit in headlights again.

She went and checked and came back and told me that if it is part of the MOT test then it will have been done.

Yeah right.

I wasn't issued with the fail certificate, but I was given my tyre tread depths which appear to have grown deeper since it was last at the dealers a month ago for its brake fluid change. Hmmmm.

Still I only parted with £34 at a BMW dealer and they made a good job of washing it. 

7 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I wasn't issued with the fail certificate, but I was given my tyre tread depths which appear to have grown deeper since it was last at the dealers a month ago for its brake fluid change. Hmmmm.

Haven't you put your winters on since then? Or could you let me know what tyres they are as I really need some that get a deeper tread over time. Could this be the end of the cost of tyres?

On 13/01/2018 at 5:51 PM, Matthew Ashton said:

Haven't you put your winters on since then? Or could you let me know what tyres they are as I really need some that get a deeper tread over time. Could this be the end of the cost of tyres?

Winters were fitted back in November, went in for a brake fluid service in December and winter tyre tread depths given.  It was in on Friday for its MOT and the same tyres were measured and three tyres had more tread depth than they did the previous month. One tyre was the same depth.

I think it's

On 13/01/2018 at 4:54 PM, bmwmike said:

about par for the course for BMW dealers. 

Either that or Dunlop Winter 3Ds regenerate!

Today, I checked the tyre pressures, filled the screenwash up, put the littl'uns car seat back in which I had taken out to prevent an MOT advisory of 'Unable to check seatbelt due to child seat fitted', and finally got round to washing the two rear 351 summers that have been waiting to be cleaned since November.

Fairly dirty.

image.jpg

Bilt Hamber doing its thing.

image.jpg

Nice and clean

image.jpg

The powder coating stood up well to a seasons abuse but it was protected with Poorboys alloy wheel wax.

The cheap non genuine roundel centre caps, less so.

26 minutes ago, sshooie said:

^^ I like seeing the wheels cleaned inside and out, but personally cba.

Ordered 4 tyres, getting fitted tomorrow.

What tyres did you go for?

7 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Nexens, what do reckon?

I've got them on the rear of my car, the pics above are my rears, but when less than two years old they showed signs of cracking, so I don't have much faith in them esp as they are shared on the car with with winters.

The jury is still out on wether they will be replaced before the summers go back on the car.

Driving wise they appear o.k. but the quality of the rubber can't be good if they crack so soon.

lol, I was pulling your chain

A quick search of Nexen on here shows the 800 posts you've slated them...

although I have had them before and thought they were OK for the £

I've gone for Avons

I do quite a bit of mileage so whatever I chose doesn't stay on long.

1 minute ago, sshooie said:

lol, I was pulling your chain

Ha ha it's just I can't understand why folk with decent cars then risk everything by fitting a set of ditch finders.

10 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I've gone for Avons

Avons are good, I had them on my E39 for ages and thought they were quiet and grippy. 

I wanted Avon’s on my current car but they didn’t make a 285/30/21 at the time. 

I do c25-30k pa, I take the approach of staying away from the real ditchfinders but I have no issue trying mid range tyres after reading reviews (I find tyrereviews.co.uk to be a good site)

I know you shouldn't skimp on the small part of rubber that keeps you on the tarmac but I do think a lot of premium tyres also leave something to be desired and for the relatively short length of time they are on the car it's not uber important to me nor after many hundreds of thousands of miles have I ended up in a ditch.

Actually I did end up in one in the late 80's and those were Goodyear Grand Prix s iirc...

No automatic alt text available.

2 of my 4 Goodyears had defects on them with good life left on the tread, and although I can't vouch prior to me owning it but I never damaged them and they were also quite badly cracked but I'm not sure of the date code now, but the car had 50k on when I bought it so I'd guess they were the second set or tyres.

A9cXxkngaH1oRpeh3dErPPPjuGqxPJMLiXvKg6ZepopIAzuQxSuu9b5i1bsbaJDNCxsCKxmdZj5XRrDU7WbsOGd9Ue9ZIfST8Du6Gq7VNCcKXub1seueTrQIhyxtmAtbkbSoSXln_caZnab7uVzaulXMO7erSR8zhIhH5pfeciHj3IMSiIFVJkMbgsPmBf745L5ghg1JCI_iX8DGsjsfCsQKgzRJKRVU0_-38b8V9oEcaTz8PuKd_Y-SPJdsrqiW1xPd_zAJJvznZHjyPgnrddXXLyo9sO1Ouymr6pBgjz4FOC8Nr5PEPkk0McpFAnMin2RGbXWmVn3MLeAHbMzx3npgdUksx8uKWnU7iGEQy3vvB_u5QIPy4U_ooZ_znIOZtLEa7PVdQNelRHrqPyLhamZuEvENfJbAa5fkx1geVMn-f5ozQVFBU6W4yTO3Q2wu9whLVD5HdhTCDh0uGK5AlMpeSteEJWiDEw59_o7W10FuH6pLTAVlbPRR8wieoaJQ_z8vcYmhQELMBF02JoVqulnOM5Q0nPxQfyUmN5qMI1IDZiAiWAhjm-WXLiHNKP3K9aUH7IacKMiH7b2jHF2IUckFE1Da2TovJZlNRk0o=w700-h933-no

2 minutes ago, E39touring said:

Avons are good, I had them on my E39 for ages and thought they were quiet and grippy. 

I wanted Avon’s on my current car but they didn’t make a 285/30/21 at the time. 

Thanks, the reviews are good for a £130 ish tyre.

My Mrs has a 67 plate Golf SE and that has Hankooks on it...who'd have thought it eh!

48 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Actually I did end up in one in the late 80's and those were Goodyear Grand Prix s iirc...

No automatic alt text available.

Impressive!

I'm guessing pride was hurt more than flesh and bone?