F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

16 hours ago, sshooie said:

lol, lad at work has just given me 1l of VW screenwash when I was out topping mine up, (effective to -70). I asked why he doesn't want it he says he prefers the Tesco own brand....

He prefers the Tesco stuff?  My father in law used Tesco stuff and it turned his washer bottle pink!  It was good for -9 neat which was pretty good for the price, it didn't change the colour of my E60 washer bottle though. :D

If its effective to -70, I wonder whats in it?  Probably isn't good for the paintwork if it gets on it neat.

I just washed it. Not been done since pre-winter wash and wax (BH DSW) back in early October. Absolutely minging! Even though I started with a pressure wash then snow foam, the rinse bucket was black within a couple of panels!

Mine is absolutely ditched. :D

Grime is baked on the headlights despite the headlight washers - think it just sprays them and if they are constantly on the heat just dries it dead quick.

Going to get it washed tomorrow, luckily the GTechniq is protecting it underneath the grime.

5 hours ago, Coops said:

Mine is absolutely ditched. :D

Grime is baked on the headlights despite the headlight washers - think it just sprays them and if they are constantly on the heat just dries it dead quick.

Going to get it washed tomorrow, luckily the GTechniq is protecting it underneath the grime.

Mines minging too, the headlight washers are a tick box only for the Xenons imo, they are next to useless.

My local stealer over here got my replacement 2nd fob today. With the exchange rate it worked out about £270 for the whole thing - fob and blade - and as it's a once only kinda thing I'm ok with that. At least now if my original fob fails I'm not up der Rhine ohne paddel.

Knowing my luck, now I've bought a new fob some Kent traffic cop will find the old spare in his/her bag and hand it in ! Nothing wrong with having a spare spare either I spose....

Gave the old girl a much deserved wash this morning in fact washed it twice to get all the road salt off it. Then the wife came out and said I should do hers as well knackered now. Have a good one everyone and safe motoring.

Just in from a little xmas pressie to myself.

Pretty certain my ex-Kent RPU F11 530d was retired largely due to a ramming incident - damage apparent to radiator, condenser, bumper, PPS, airducts, etc. Although the mechanical damage hasn't killed any systems, the two final bugbears have been the constant PPS Fail warning and the un-replaced headlamp washers.

Both jobs now done, finishing with hunting a broken wire to a bonnet lock as the last remaining reported PPS fault. Off my rear and out into the St Stephen's Day sunshine (these Germans just have to have their own names for everything) and 20 mins later with a quick Carly session...

530d Carly Diag.jpg

18 minutes ago, G-Force said:

Finally got my lowering springs fitted :-)  only bought them in February....need to get the wheel alignment done then get the wheels powder coated........merry Christmas to you all.

Pics? :) What did you go for?  

I am considering dropping the front as it looks like a 4x4. I think BMW use the same spring regardless of engine so my lightweight n53 is higher up than a 3.0d. I'd need to check with eibach to make sure they don't do the same I guess.

1 hour ago, bmwmike said:

Pics? :) What did you go for?  

I am considering dropping the front as it looks like a 4x4. I think BMW use the same spring regardless of engine so my lightweight n53 is higher up than a 3.0d. I'd need to check with eibach to make sure they don't do the same I guess.

Hi Mike, I ended up fitting H&R springs, finished off the look with some spacers...car now looks how I like it to look- I will give it a wash and post some pics,  car dropped 35mm front and rear, tbh the car looked like the engine was removed before the drop. Nearly went for Eibach but after fitting them to two previous cars I wasn’t happy, ride and look are great....just need to take time going over large speed bumps.

Spent the morning on the phone to 5 dealers looking for my new F10 M5. 4 of the 5 cars had late running in services by more than the 500miles. The dealer BMW guidance is they can still apply AUC warranty upto 750 miles after the service (but the dealer maybe made to contribute in the event of any warranty claims) was due but if we as the general public want to buy the warranty, it's a no. Considering just buying another F10 for the time being till the right M5 comes along

O and the 5th - 3500 mile late running in service so BMW wont warrant it at all (yet advertised on the BMW site)

Edited by sanjx

6 hours ago, sanjx said:

Spent the morning on the phone to 5 dealers looking for my new F10 M5. 4 of the 5 cars had late running in services by more than the 500miles. The dealer BMW guidance is they can still apply AUC warranty upto 750 miles after the service (but the dealer maybe made to contribute in the event of any warranty claims) was due but if we as the general public want to buy the warranty, it's a no. Considering just buying another F10 for the time being till the right M5 comes along

O and the 5th - 3500 mile late running in service so BMW wont warrant it at all (yet advertised on the BMW site)

Interesting.  I would have thought an AUC would be solid from a warranty point of view.

It's a solid warranty but it's the fact that even BMW themselves acknowledge that the running in service is so critical. The bit about dealer contributing was a surprise to me - raises questions such as who is responsible for ensuring the dealer coughs up? What happens if the dealer group leaves the BMW franchise? 

Too many grey areas for me. I just want to buy a straight forward car. It seem's alot of the M5's have something or another wrong with their history. Could it be something to do with the cheap leases that where floating around and people then not wanting to spend any money on maintenance? Or could it that the mileages have been tampered with? (one of them had 2 services 4 months apart yet had only covered 100miles between them - but they both had differing miles "overdue" with the second being over 1k miles overdue so it would have been due before the first service which was done? - very strange). Dealer couldn't figure it out and said computer error but I'm not that trusting, something just doesn't feel right and the dealer couldn't produce invoices for any of the services either (no maintenance pack so it's not like no invoice was issued and I'm not going to do the dealers leg work of ringing the servicing dealers to find out information, in my eyes the dealer selling the car should do this as they have more "power" when speaking to a fellow dealer). 

With this being probably the only time i'll ever spend so much on a car, I just want everything to be in order. My old F10 had an impeccable history, no errors, OEM everything and yet it was alot cheaper both new and when I sold it recently than these car's i'm looking at (and it was older too). 

27 minutes ago, Retset said:

I'm quite horrified that dealers can't come up with straight, worry free M5s.

To be fair I am looking at the cheaper end of the market. I'm sure the £40k upwards cars will be impeccable hence why i'm having some degree of patience with the search. I'm sure the new M5 being available soon is going to impact value's to a degree. There is already 0% finance deals on M3 and M4 models and i'm guessing the M5 will follow in the new year. 

A few little jobs today, replaced the driver side dipped beam bulb which was quite a faff in the dark and wet (on street parking here) a ratchet handle with Philips head bit seemed to be the trick as I couldn’t get a screwdriver anywhere near the access flap with the wheel on (I blame the 19s for this).

New rear tyres ordered for fitting on Sunday which I haven’t yet told my wife the cost of (she moans at paying £55 a corner on her Skoda Fabia).

I’ve also booked it in for a diagnostic tomorrow as it has been running a bit rough the past couple of weeks and didn’t start cleanly a couple of times yesterday - anticipating standard N53 woes (luckily covered by AUC warranty). 

Jobs that still desperately need doing include cleaning the interior as the leather has suffered over Christmas and finally I need some form of polish to take the handbag zip scratches out of the wood trim (And I quote “this won’t scratch it” as I could hear a distinct scratching sound, luckily very fine and light but I see them as soon as I get in the car) - any recommendations? 

3 hours ago, Bartonbarton said:

I’ve also booked it in for a diagnostic tomorrow as it has been running a bit rough the past couple of weeks and didn’t start cleanly a couple of times yesterday - anticipating standard N53 woes (luckily covered by AUC warranty). 

Fingers crossed you get all injectors, coil packs done before your AUC runs out. Be good to know what index number your current injectors are if they whip them out.

If anyone comes across MC15 EVD its a cracking car, well looked after and still on its first set of tyres with 3mm left at 30,000 miles, so you can tell I didn't thrash it.

Edited by dwaind