F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

13 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

There are other threads here on the subject of BMW screenwash and a number of us here use it exclusively. After having to remove the washer fluid reservoir behind the offside wing to get to the pumps to remove the sludge from around the pump filters I'm not going to risk using anything but.

Many thanks.

6 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

There are other threads here on the subject of BMW screenwash and a number of us here use it exclusively. After having to remove the washer fluid reservoir behind the offside wing to get to the pumps to remove the sludge from around the pump filters I'm not going to risk using anything but.

I use the ECP Triple QX stuff https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/concentrate-screenwash/?542771151&0&cc5_701&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgs7RBRDoARIsANOo-HjxMBOaMdOfhhFjEIDzmftEgG51TiYJSijzcieXYGPAlg4cjZx81qAaApGpEALw_wcB

Usually comes round on offer every now and again and you can get 4x 5L for £10 delivered.

10 hours ago, Coops said:

I would be wary of that stuff as reading the specs in the link it fails to mention the freezing point which makes me think it will freeze at a really high temp like -2 or something that we get in a frost in October. If it had a really low (useful) freezing point it would be clearly marked on it.

Of course now I've  said that you will tell me it's good down to -15!

BMW stuff is good down to -63! But I doubt the rest of the car would be much use at that temp including the driver!

12 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I would be wary of that stuff as reading the specs in the link it fails to mention the freezing point which makes me think it will freeze at a really high temp like -2 or something that we get in a frost in October. If it had a really low (useful) freezing point it would be clearly marked on it.

Of course now I've  said that you will tell me it's good down to -15!

BMW stuff is good down to -63! But I doubt the rest of the car would be much use at that temp including the driver!

Never had any issue with it tbh. I don“t know the freeze point but it's that cheap i can run with it virtually neat

5 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Did a tip run, very refreshing psychologically imo.

I'm always using mine to go to the tip, usually hauling the trailer. Was there with a full load on Saturday, this house diy lark is nearly finished.

They've got to earn their keep after all.

Threw the F10 out today! (well sold it actually). Let the hunt commence for a replacement. Going to miss it, one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned and so good at everything. Top of the list is another F10 although the engine maybe slightly bigger, angrier and get me to work quicker!

3 minutes ago, sanjx said:

Threw the F10 out today! (well sold it actually). Let the hunt commence for a replacement. Going to miss it, one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned and so good at everything. Top of the list is another F10 although the engine maybe slightly bigger, angrier and get me to work quicker!

Ah a fellow n53er bailing out hehe!  Did you sell privately or wbac, out of interest?  I advertised my 530I on Gumtree a couple of times but it was very half hearted. Wbac say they'd give me 11k for it, though I'm sure theyd knock that down. I go round and round.. more power would be nice but honestly I can't see where I'd used it as the 530I is plenty fast for most times.

Be interested to see what you get next.

19 minutes ago, bmwmike said:

Wbac say they'd give me 11k for it, though I'm sure theyd knock that down. 

Yup, 11k is what they would sell it for so they need to make their money by knocking that down.

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yup, 11k is what they would sell it for so they need to make their money by knocking that down.

Not always, yes they will deduct if the online appraisal differs from the true condition. I know 2 people who have dealt with them and both speak highly.

iirc they are owned by a car auctions and this is where they all end up.

Sadly most dealers now use them as the benchmark for trade ins by adding a meagre £100 or so.

Bought some screenwash. replaced the DPF exhaust sensor and took it a 90 blast down the motorway to regenerate.  Car feels so much smoother, quieter and more responsive now, although a lot dirtier after its trip.

Edited by Big A

lol, lad at work has just given me 1l of VW screenwash when I was out topping mine up, (effective to -70). I asked why he doesn't want it he says he prefers the Tesco own brand....

On 12/18/2017 at 6:32 PM, bmwmike said:

Ah a fellow n53er bailing out hehe!  Did you sell privately or wbac, out of interest?  I advertised my 530I on Gumtree a couple of times but it was very half hearted. Wbac say they'd give me 11k for it, though I'm sure theyd knock that down. I go round and round.. more power would be nice but honestly I can't see where I'd used it as the 530I is plenty fast for most times.

Be interested to see what you get next.

-WBAC I didn't want to go to, the car was in too good condition, has BMW warranty to run, excellent tyres etc.. I didn't want it to go in to the trade. 

-Main dealer part ex was a joke. Age (2010) and mileage as they couldn't retail it (the sales manager even commented that my car was in better condition than that I was considering!!!)

-PH (£12/month)- only a single time wasters email, no calls - 3 weeks. 

-Autotrader (£65 - premium) - 600ish views, 3 calls, mostly time wasters or individuals who couldn't read that it said no PX in the advert - 3 weeks.

-eBay (£16/month as a classified ad) - 1500 views (9 watchers), loads of interest (few silly offers), 5 calls and 2 decent buyers, first to view purchased - within the week!!

-Tootle - (£0/week) - nothing, too high mileage and I pitched it at the same price as other consumer media. They want you to advertise at trade price. Has it's purpose but not for me. 

All 3 had the same picture set and as much detail as I could possibly fit in, the eBay and PH advert was almost identical. It did help that it was the cheapest petrol sport in the country with the next cheapest being a CAT D with higher miles and no BMW warranty. 

Sale prep wasn't anything special, usual weekly clean, new centre caps in the summer alloys, new wipers, brakes and screen wash top up. Basically the usual winter prep (apart from the brakes). I didn't want the buyer to have anything which needs doing. I take pride in my cars and wanted this to come through. All paper work prepared in order and keys cleaned. 

My decision to sell was more company car policy related, I love the F10 but I was getting itchy feet and the car policy was the final excuse I needed to change. As I've previously mentioned, the F10 is just such a capable car, the N53 engine was sweet, quiet, economical when it needed to be, smooth and bit of poke as/when required. A remap would have given it abit of a lift but I found 205bhp naturally aspirated was fine 95% of the time (and I didn't want to risk voiding the warranty). I haven't tallied up running costs yet but it's probably the cheapest car I've ever ran (excl depreciation). Tyre wear on the OEM Dunlop RFT is brilliant whilst giving decent grip (can't remember exactly now but around 35k rear and 40k fronts without being on the limit, changed early), the brakes lasted over 50k and still had life in them, the interior wears so well, etc.. hence wanting an F10 M5 next. Just need to tally up running costs to ensure it all works out. Insurance is the current sticking point as it's quadruple the N53!

16 hours ago, sshooie said:

lol, lad at work has just given me 1l of VW screenwash when I was out topping mine up, (effective to -70). I asked why he doesn't want it he says he prefers the Tesco own brand....

He prefers the Tesco stuff?  My father in law used Tesco stuff and it turned his washer bottle pink!  It was good for -9 neat which was pretty good for the price, it didn't change the colour of my E60 washer bottle though. :D

If its effective to -70, I wonder whats in it?  Probably isn't good for the paintwork if it gets on it neat.

I just washed it. Not been done since pre-winter wash and wax (BH DSW) back in early October. Absolutely minging! Even though I started with a pressure wash then snow foam, the rinse bucket was black within a couple of panels!

Mine is absolutely ditched. :D

Grime is baked on the headlights despite the headlight washers - think it just sprays them and if they are constantly on the heat just dries it dead quick.

Going to get it washed tomorrow, luckily the GTechniq is protecting it underneath the grime.

5 hours ago, Coops said:

Mine is absolutely ditched. :D

Grime is baked on the headlights despite the headlight washers - think it just sprays them and if they are constantly on the heat just dries it dead quick.

Going to get it washed tomorrow, luckily the GTechniq is protecting it underneath the grime.

Mines minging too, the headlight washers are a tick box only for the Xenons imo, they are next to useless.

My local stealer over here got my replacement 2nd fob today. With the exchange rate it worked out about £270 for the whole thing - fob and blade - and as it's a once only kinda thing I'm ok with that. At least now if my original fob fails I'm not up der Rhine ohne paddel.

Knowing my luck, now I've bought a new fob some Kent traffic cop will find the old spare in his/her bag and hand it in ! Nothing wrong with having a spare spare either I spose....