F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Tbf I didn't shop around, in fact I didn't ask for the price prior, I just asked them to sort it. I think I've got a decent indi and trust them thus far. I'm a big fan of building a relationship with whichever garage you chose, this is difficult with any dealership. I personally would rather deal directly with the guy who holds the spanners. 

Edited by sshooie

I put a couple of small scratches on the nearside rear whilst trying to get ultra close to the pavement in a narrow street. It's a wheel I slightly damaged 3 days after I got the car, on an unseen rock at about 2mph. Nothing unsightly but I must try to keep all damage just to that wheel .....

Had new front pads & discs yesterday (weren't due yet for another 4k miles (which went down to 1400 then back up?) according to CBS but getting an appointment with BMW or a trusted mechanic is hard enough and knowing my luck, the car would beep on christmas eve asking for new pads!). Had the retaining springs replaced as well, although an advisory item, for the relatively small price they just give a better aesthetic appearance. 

Also put the winter tyres on yesterday, just in time for the snow today. Made the decision to go and do some random driving yesterday to bed the pads and discs and right decision it was as I wouldn't want to be driving in today's conditions with brand new pads/discs! 

Just need to source and purchase spare wheel or inflation kit now as I had totally forgotten!

2 hours ago, sanjx said:

Had the retaining springs replaced as well, although an advisory item, for the relatively small price they just give a better aesthetic appearance. 

BMW advise that if the car is over 4 years old, you replace the pad retaining springs.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

BMW advise that if the car is over 4 years old, you replace the pad retaining springs.

Indeed they do but not often replaced. I think they cost about £20/pair which in the grand scheme of things wasn't much. 

1 hour ago, sanjx said:

Indeed they do but not often replaced. I think they cost about £20/pair which in the grand scheme of things wasn't much. 

Are you going to paint them in some horrendous yellow or red and stick on go faster ///M logos on them? :D

Well my ongoing gradual collecting of parts ready for whenever I get a chance to fit them, is now pretty much complete.

Today I collected then new PPS sensor strip to replace the one cut (presumably) when Kent Police dekitted the F11.

That is now added to the headlamp washer jets, cover lever arms and newly painted caps, which along with the new tank-to-front-hose hose and the front hose to the jets should reinstate the headlamp washer system, and hopefully kill the PPS fault warning once I clear the codes.

Also picked up a BMW Mobility Kit as I'm now on CrossClimate+ all round and my old E61 spare kit won't fit the F11.

Next up will be a second fob as some Kent traffic cop probably still has the original in his/her duty bag! Around E300 over here.

With all that done I'll just have to offload the M Sport levers and caps I mistakenly got first and I'll be able to rest my wallet a while...

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

I got  4 wheel alignment completed today on a hunter system. I had my springs replaced a couple of months ago. The car now seems more planted and less wheel spin from standing start. Not bad for £65+vat.

5 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Also picked up a BMW Mobility Kit as I'm now on CrossClimate+ all round and my old E61 spare kit won't fit the F11.

It will with a spacer. Can’t remember what size but I can measure it tomorrow. I made the same mistake. Sold on after I sold the E61. Bought one for the F11 and it was the same wheel and tyre with a spacer... 

That's just it. I sold the spacesaver for the E61 with no spacer and bought an identical wheel for the F11 that came with the spacer. :o)

I didn’t know that at the time though. Wasted £40-50.

Spacers all over Ebay.

16 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Are you going to paint them in some horrendous yellow or red and stick on go faster ///M logos on them? :D

haha i'm going for the naturally rusty look!

Well just got in from fitting the new headlamp washer pipes, cover levers and covers. All is squirty and legal once more :D

Turns out the pipe from the tank to the front pipe is routed over the front right wheel, in the void above the arch liner. The police garage had just screwed a large screw into the cut off pipe and folded it back, so just pipe off, pipe on and all was good.

The washer jet covers were stunningly easy - the spring clips in, the lever clips on the outside of the same mount then the cover clips to the top of the lever from the outside. Now I can get the M-Sport ones I mistakenly bought (which have a longer lever and differently shaped cover), onto an appropriate auction site for disposal.

The PPS sensor strip is ridiculously easy to replace - it just mounts into a groove in the styrofoam on the crash bar and plugs into the loom dangling below the front right headlamp. All I have to do now is sort out a short in the front right bonnet latch wiring and bye-bye PPS warning. How BMW can charge over £1000 to rectify that is beyond me!

Anywho.. all done, me back home and cuppa in hand just as the snow starts to fall. Smooth or what! B)

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

Just got home after a 3 hr drive up the A1 from Cambridgeshire.  Effortless drive and luckily not too much snow on my driveway when I got back.  Doesn't look like I washed it last weekend and I'm not going to wash it whilst it's hovering around freezing point. Used to do that when I was an obsessed youngster, watching the water freeze as I washed it. Must have been mad! 

Washed mine today, cleaned inside/out and rainx on the windows to help the snow/frost slide off. Was looking forward to seeing it covered in snow tomorrow but after seeing all the scaremongering about the weather on the news and on social media, i've moved it in to the garage now where is sat next to the summer tyres, which I also cleaned up today ready for a coat of wax when it warms up. Looking forward to a day off tomorrow!

(And yes it was cold to be washing/hoovering but I just put some grit down before starting and it stopped any of the water freezing)

10 hours ago, sanjx said:

(And yes it was cold to be washing/hoovering but I just put some grit down before starting and it stopped any of the water freezing)

Perhaps I should warn you that putting grit on the paint, just to stop the water freezing is a really bad idea :lol: