F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

Well just got in from fitting the new headlamp washer pipes, cover levers and covers. All is squirty and legal once more :D

Turns out the pipe from the tank to the front pipe is routed over the front right wheel, in the void above the arch liner. The police garage had just screwed a large screw into the cut off pipe and folded it back, so just pipe off, pipe on and all was good.

The washer jet covers were stunningly easy - the spring clips in, the lever clips on the outside of the same mount then the cover clips to the top of the lever from the outside. Now I can get the M-Sport ones I mistakenly bought (which have a longer lever and differently shaped cover), onto an appropriate auction site for disposal.

The PPS sensor strip is ridiculously easy to replace - it just mounts into a groove in the styrofoam on the crash bar and plugs into the loom dangling below the front right headlamp. All I have to do now is sort out a short in the front right bonnet latch wiring and bye-bye PPS warning. How BMW can charge over £1000 to rectify that is beyond me!

Anywho.. all done, me back home and cuppa in hand just as the snow starts to fall. Smooth or what! B)

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

5 hours ago, rasg said:

Thanks for that. Will get them ordered. 

Just got home after a 3 hr drive up the A1 from Cambridgeshire.  Effortless drive and luckily not too much snow on my driveway when I got back.  Doesn't look like I washed it last weekend and I'm not going to wash it whilst it's hovering around freezing point. Used to do that when I was an obsessed youngster, watching the water freeze as I washed it. Must have been mad! 

Washed mine today, cleaned inside/out and rainx on the windows to help the snow/frost slide off. Was looking forward to seeing it covered in snow tomorrow but after seeing all the scaremongering about the weather on the news and on social media, i've moved it in to the garage now where is sat next to the summer tyres, which I also cleaned up today ready for a coat of wax when it warms up. Looking forward to a day off tomorrow!

(And yes it was cold to be washing/hoovering but I just put some grit down before starting and it stopped any of the water freezing)

10 hours ago, sanjx said:

(And yes it was cold to be washing/hoovering but I just put some grit down before starting and it stopped any of the water freezing)

Perhaps I should warn you that putting grit on the paint, just to stop the water freezing is a really bad idea :lol:

Replaced cabin filter and air filter. Both were pretty black and filled with debris. The cabin filters took like two seconds to swap but damn that design. Took like forty minutes to undo and redo the panels and lid to get at them. Never want to do that again.

5 hours ago, Retset said:

Perhaps I should warn you that putting grit on the paint, just to stop the water freezing is a really bad idea :lol:

ahh, i thought the salt would fill the swirl marks :( 

(joking of course!)

Mines tucked away in the garage still. No vehicle movements happening round here. Neighboring farmer has been out with his JCB and cleared some of the snow but it's the layer of ice below which is the issue and don't want to be scraping the tarmac with the bucket (especially as it's maintained at our expense!). Perfect day for making a roast, stuffing faces, watching trash TV and browsing the internet. Thanks nature, this is one of the most relaxing sunday's in a while!!

If you use DTC (traction mode) it effectively locks the diff - and doesn't throttle back the engine.

Great for drifting.

Never had a problem myself, even with summer tyres.

Haven't tried the G30 yet - a little too much snow to risk it yet - but used the remote heating to defrost the car at lunchtime which was very effective (note: mines a Hybrid).

Took mine out to deepest Gloucestershire for a run and for the kids to see santa. Must say the car performed brilliantly and was even great in the snow and slush. Everytime I'm out in poor conditions on roads i dont know I'm amazed at how good the Nav+HUD combo is.

No idea what you boys are on about with all this snow and slush talk, just a sharp frost my way, not a sign of any snow.

Still have yet to test my winters out in anything other that a wee bit of slush.....

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

No idea what you boys are on about with all this snow and slush talk, just a sharp frost my way, not a sign of any snow.

Still have yet to test my winters out in anything other that a wee bit of slush.....

2-3 inches here and PITA with kids off school tomorrow.

Just over 8" here which is sitting on a layer of ice and expected to get worse tonight with -11degree temperatures. Just been out to the garage and started the car for alittle while to get some heat in to the block (likewise with the wifes car although that's outside so blanketed with snow). 

2 hours ago, sanjx said:

Just over 8" here which is sitting on a layer of ice and expected to get worse tonight with -11degree temperatures. Just been out to the garage and started the car for alittle while to get some heat in to the block (likewise with the wifes car although that's outside so blanketed with snow). 

Just curious as to why you need to get heat into the block?  Tbh I'd be wary of starting the car just to let it idle, but I doubt starting it or not starting it will do harm apart from perhaps to your wallet on the fuel.

2 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Just curious as to why you need to get heat into the block?  Tbh I'd be wary of starting the car just to let it idle, but I doubt starting it or not starting it will do harm apart from perhaps to your wallet on the fuel.

Just the low temps and I don't want the screen wash to freeze if i'm honest. I haven't had time to fully swap from summer to winter concentration. I don't think 5 minutes on idle would do it any harm and I ended up moving it anyway to get some stuff out the boot (why they make garages on new builds just long enough for a car I'll never understand). 

55 minutes ago, sanjx said:

Just the low temps and I don't want the screen wash to freeze if i'm honest. I haven't had time to fully swap from summer to winter concentration. I don't think 5 minutes on idle would do it any harm and I ended up moving it anyway to get some stuff out the boot (why they make garages on new builds just long enough for a car I'll never understand). 

Just long enough. Barely wide enough in my case - only just the OH Ibiza in let alone a 5 series.

3 hours ago, Coops said:

Just long enough. Barely wide enough in my case - only just the OH Ibiza in let alone a 5 series.

We're fortunate that ours is 5m wide so theoretically both our car can fit. However that is if it's empty which it never is so the 5 has priority :)

10 hours ago, sanjx said:

Just over 8" here which is sitting on a layer of ice and expected to get worse tonight with -11degree temperatures. 

11 below!

It was a positively tropical -6.5 where I was today.

image.jpg

B&M screenwash was working no problem. It froze in the wife's Kuga but all was well in mine.

No sign of snow my way. The littl'un is a massive Frozen fan so wants to build an Olaf snowman. But no chance.

11 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

No sign of snow my way. The littl'un is a massive Frozen fan so wants to build an Olaf snowman. But no chance.

I'll send you some of ours up your way then! Plenty down here.

Managed to get the 5 out of the estate this morning - attempted yesterday but gave up. Much better today though despite -5.0c