F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

40 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Cheaper hopefully but with quality parts?

We will see if he changes his mind on non OEM brake pads when his right leg is pushing the brake pedal thru the floor while trying to stop his wagon from hitting that wall/tree/bus/truck.:D

Their non OEM all round at the moment with no issues...you do know bmw don't make brakes don't you... 

Anyway, not a big saving I know but I'll take comfort in the fact the money has gone to a local company...

dFLU1p2dWf_gfCxLfIjs27eo3Bw9pEZuBuL56Mm7

50 minutes ago, sshooie said:

you do know bmw don't make brakes don't you... 

Yeah they buy in a box of brake pads from Textar or Jurid or ATE and them nail them to the car.

52 minutes ago, sshooie said:

but I'll take comfort in the fact the money has gone to a local company...

But that's no bad thing.

44 minutes ago, jake13 said:

It's very difficult to find good oem discs for the right price, especially the 2 piece riveted type.

I struggled when the time came for two piece discs on the E60 (big engines stuff is two piece) but thanks to the F10 being two piece across the range, they are easier to source now. Still no idea who makes them though. But I think you can get two piece ATE discs, who make calipers and pads fit BMW, so they would be ok.

2 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

I struggled when the time came for two piece discs on the E60 (big engines stuff is two piece) but thanks to the F10 being two piece across the range, they are easier to source now. Still no idea who makes them though. But I think you can get two piece ATE discs, who make calipers and pads fit BMW, so they would be ok.

ATE and Brembo both make the 2 piece front discs for our cars... And BMW of course, oh yes, those are probably one of the former, or both, masquerading as the real thing!

20 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yeah they buy in a box of brake pads from Textar or Jurid or ATE and them nail them to the car.

But that's no bad thing.

The point I'm trying to raise is that, sometimes there isn't much saving going aftermarket like-for-like. For example, your rears are £240 pair (ATE) and £186 pair (BMW)

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

ATE and Brembo both make the 2 piece front discs for our cars... And BMW of course, oh yes, those are probably one of the former, or both, masquerading as the real thing!

Yup and the BMW cardboard box can increase the price dramatically. Example Fag front wheel bearing for my E60 in a Fag box £90. Same bit in a BMW box, marked Fag on the bearing £238. Now that's extracting the urine!

But as Jake says, it does indeed pay to shop around.

50 minutes ago, jake13 said:

The point I'm trying to raise is that, sometimes there isn't much saving going aftermarket like-for-like. For example, your rears are £240 pair (ATE) and £186 pair (BMW)

I always price genuine parts from BMW and OEM and then make a decision on which to go for. 

Tbf I didn't shop around, in fact I didn't ask for the price prior, I just asked them to sort it. I think I've got a decent indi and trust them thus far. I'm a big fan of building a relationship with whichever garage you chose, this is difficult with any dealership. I personally would rather deal directly with the guy who holds the spanners. 

Edited by sshooie

I put a couple of small scratches on the nearside rear whilst trying to get ultra close to the pavement in a narrow street. It's a wheel I slightly damaged 3 days after I got the car, on an unseen rock at about 2mph. Nothing unsightly but I must try to keep all damage just to that wheel .....

Had new front pads & discs yesterday (weren't due yet for another 4k miles (which went down to 1400 then back up?) according to CBS but getting an appointment with BMW or a trusted mechanic is hard enough and knowing my luck, the car would beep on christmas eve asking for new pads!). Had the retaining springs replaced as well, although an advisory item, for the relatively small price they just give a better aesthetic appearance. 

Also put the winter tyres on yesterday, just in time for the snow today. Made the decision to go and do some random driving yesterday to bed the pads and discs and right decision it was as I wouldn't want to be driving in today's conditions with brand new pads/discs! 

Just need to source and purchase spare wheel or inflation kit now as I had totally forgotten!

2 hours ago, sanjx said:

Had the retaining springs replaced as well, although an advisory item, for the relatively small price they just give a better aesthetic appearance. 

BMW advise that if the car is over 4 years old, you replace the pad retaining springs.

2 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

BMW advise that if the car is over 4 years old, you replace the pad retaining springs.

Indeed they do but not often replaced. I think they cost about £20/pair which in the grand scheme of things wasn't much. 

1 hour ago, sanjx said:

Indeed they do but not often replaced. I think they cost about £20/pair which in the grand scheme of things wasn't much. 

Are you going to paint them in some horrendous yellow or red and stick on go faster ///M logos on them? :D

Well my ongoing gradual collecting of parts ready for whenever I get a chance to fit them, is now pretty much complete.

Today I collected then new PPS sensor strip to replace the one cut (presumably) when Kent Police dekitted the F11.

That is now added to the headlamp washer jets, cover lever arms and newly painted caps, which along with the new tank-to-front-hose hose and the front hose to the jets should reinstate the headlamp washer system, and hopefully kill the PPS fault warning once I clear the codes.

Also picked up a BMW Mobility Kit as I'm now on CrossClimate+ all round and my old E61 spare kit won't fit the F11.

Next up will be a second fob as some Kent traffic cop probably still has the original in his/her duty bag! Around E300 over here.

With all that done I'll just have to offload the M Sport levers and caps I mistakenly got first and I'll be able to rest my wallet a while...

Edited by HandyAndy_UK

I got  4 wheel alignment completed today on a hunter system. I had my springs replaced a couple of months ago. The car now seems more planted and less wheel spin from standing start. Not bad for £65+vat.

5 hours ago, HandyAndy_UK said:

Also picked up a BMW Mobility Kit as I'm now on CrossClimate+ all round and my old E61 spare kit won't fit the F11.

It will with a spacer. Can’t remember what size but I can measure it tomorrow. I made the same mistake. Sold on after I sold the E61. Bought one for the F11 and it was the same wheel and tyre with a spacer... 

That's just it. I sold the spacesaver for the E61 with no spacer and bought an identical wheel for the F11 that came with the spacer. :o)

I didn’t know that at the time though. Wasted £40-50.

Spacers all over Ebay.

16 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Are you going to paint them in some horrendous yellow or red and stick on go faster ///M logos on them? :D

haha i'm going for the naturally rusty look!