F10 530d

What did you do to your F07/F10/F11 today?

35 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Andrew, don't you have Xenons on your car so have headlight washers too?

Yes, that's how my dad noticed the spray coming from the front of my car and as you say landing on the bonnet and wings, but in my case, they weren't nice and clean!

But when we were playing with the lights and scooshers on my car, it was very obvious that the cornering light is really yellow compared to the Xenon main beam.  I'll need to find the threads on here I've read about the yellow cornering light and how to improve it.  Not that it will make any difference to the already great night time driving experience but, purely from a vain looks point of view. B)

1 hour ago, 535i Andrew said:

A missing wheel bolt is an MOT failure, I think. It's probably due to a garage not wanting to fully tighten the locking bolt due to risking snapping the key. I didn't like the original one supplied with my F10 so I bought a set of new locking bolts that have a key more like the E60, it's a splined one rather than a wavy pattern.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that and hadn't even considered it.

Were the bolts you bought from BMW or did you buy from Ebay or somewhere like it?

1 hour ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The only problem with headlight wash is if you have just washed the car and go out in the afternoon when the sun is low and the lights have just come on and for whatever reason you need to clear the windscreen, the headlight spray ends up spraying the nice and clean bonnet and wings too! :D

For this very reason I will often turn the lights off before I squirt the screen, especially as like this morning I'd washed the car and the headlights were on auto so it was due to blast the lights too.

The only problem with headlight wash is if you have just washed the car and go out in the afternoon when the sun is low and the lights have just come on and for whatever reason you need to clear the windscreen, the headlight spray ends up spraying the nice and clean bonnet and wings too! :D

Is there a way to disable the spray or at least increase the time. It seems to spray every 2 washes.

21 minutes ago, rasg said:

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that and hadn't even considered it.

Were the bolts you bought from BMW or did you buy from Ebay or somewhere like it?

You are welcome.

I bought ones like these from Lloyds of Carlisle on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-GENUINE-LOCKING-WHEEL-BOLTS-36136776076-FITS-VARIOUS-MODELS-/172862272503?hash=item283f64f3f7

Fairly sure Mine doesn't have the centre pin on the bolt though. Mine were part # 36136776076 right enough and came with two keys. £31.40 + £3.95 pandp. I fitted them when I put my newely powder coated summers on in spring this year.

But when torquing them upto 140Nm I have full confidence in them unlike the previous style.

4 minutes ago, Coops said:

Is there a way to disable the spray or at least increase the time. It seems to spray every 2 washes.

iirc it's every 5, the first being the first time after the lights are on, they must spray for the MOT though.

Mine does it every two or three, but I don't mind it doing this, my car is rarely clean these days so I sadly don't mind the overspray landing on the body work. It's certainly more frequent than one in every 5.

I have read that it can be altered via coding.

1 hour ago, F10530D said:

Not a fan of the headlight washers purely because they drink washer fluid like there’s no tomorrow! 

I also think they are cosmetic for the purposes of the xenons, can't beat the old Volvo wipers.

1 hour ago, sshooie said:

I also think they are cosmetic for the purposes of the xenons, can't beat the old Volvo wipers.

The safety police won their argument and had wipers on lights banned as the wiper spindle can puncture a leg of the pedestrian just before they make contact with the slightly softer bumper. I had the little wipers on my Senator, they both still worked at 14 years old which was surprising.

18 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

The safety police won their argument and had wipers on lights banned as the wiper spindle can puncture a leg of the pedestrian just before they make contact with the slightly softer bumper. I had the little wipers on my Senator, they both still worked at 14 years old which was surprising.

I always wondered why they didn't wipe from the side in a push - pull motion with the arm being enclosed.

41 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Booked mine in for a brake fluid change.  2nd fluid change due as it will be 5 years old next month.  Took me longer to wait for my call to be answered than it did to make the actual booking. :unsure:

Is that covered via the 5yr service package (if you have it) ?

3 hours ago, IINexusII said:

They make a huge mess.

Next time i take the wheels off ill be unplugging the connector at the pump.

That could lead to an MOT failure if disconnected.

So long as during some daylight, I do as @sshooie mentioned and turn the lights off while spraying the windscreen to prevent the mess.

14 hours ago, bee said:

Is that covered via the 5yr service package (if you have it) ?

I do have the 5 year service thing and when I asked about it the girl confirmed on the phone that it was covered, which I wrote that all down and got her name, but I've read that it isn't.  So we will just wait and see.

It wasn’t covered on my last GT with 5 year service package. That’s one of the reasons I traded it in at just short of 5 years old and got a newer one (man maths). 

3 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I do have the 5 year service thing and when I asked about it the girl confirmed on the phone that it was covered, which I wrote that all down and got her name, but I've read that it isn't.  So we will just wait and see.

With mine I had 2 brake fluid changes within the 5 year service plan. But that was when the first brake fluid change was at 2 years instead of 3 years on later cars. 

With mine I had 2 brake fluid changes within the 5 year service plan. But that was when the first brake fluid change was at 2 years instead of 3 years on later cars. 

So yours is changed every even year then?

I wonder why they changed the first change to 3 years?  I suppose the argument is the lines etc will be newer and less prone to corrosion in the first 3 years. 

Its then every 2 years after the initial 3 years.

2 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

So yours is changed every even year then?

I wonder why they changed the first change to 3 years?  I suppose the argument is the lines etc will be newer and less prone to corrosion in the first 3 years. 

Its then every 2 years after the initial 3 years.

Yes, changed every even year and on newer cars after the initial 3, changed every 2 years (which is the time-frame for brake fluid change I was brought up on)